COVID: What Will It Take To Stop Football?

BIG D

Last season football stopped I think when Arteta contracted COVID. This time we have mass testing and games going ahead even when the disease is running through clubs. We were late starting the season and it’s projected to finish on May 23rd, as it stands it will probably be later than that.

So what will it take to stop the game? The death of a top flight player?

• Love 1

I think the value of having live sorts to enjoy (well...sometimes) is why it’ll be allowed to continue. 

Although saying that, when sports were cancelled first time round last year it have the “lockdown” some oomph. Maybe we need it all to stop to reinforce the importance of curbing the outbreak?

• Like 2

I think if somebody dies, you've got a big debate on your hands. 

But with the vast sums of money at play, I don't see it stopping. 

I think the the leagues that have already been suspended at non elite level, probably won't restart in time to complete. 

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It would take Sky, foreign broadcasters, BT etc saying they’ll write off this year’s money. Which won’t happen.

This. Forget all the safeguarding of players etc it's all about the £££

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Kinda related and mini rant haha, but I hope the Olympics don't happen this year again. One reason is because I'm sick of hearing athletes crying about if it's gets cancelled again. If you saw it the other day, one was on sky sports news saying (from what I remember, so take it with a grain of salt) that athletes should be prioritised over the elderly, vulnerable and key workers ect. She even said her parents and grandparents ect. were in these categories, but deep down would feel sad ect. if herself and other athletes weren't prioritised and the Olympics didn't happen again. Are these people for real? It's sport, not life and death ect. I fear for people like this if things in the world get worse in the future. After a quick search for it, I found this instead: https://www.skysports.com/olympics/news/15234/12180389/olympics-official-says-prioritise-athletes-for-coronavirus-jab-so-tokyo-games-can-go-ahead Basically money over everything again. The swimmer, Alice Dearing, said it best at the bottom though.       

Edited by Incognito Owl
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

It would take Sky, foreign broadcasters, BT etc saying they’ll write off this year’s money. Which won’t happen.

This, it will take someone to pay the clubs £Millions then they will stop

or the players to take a massive pay cut while they aren't playing

No chance of either, so it will continue

• Like 3

2 hours ago, belfast owl lad said:

Less than 400 without pre existing issues died last year OF Covid, The chances of a fit and healthy young footballer dying must be miniscule.

have you got a link to the stats for that? That sounds really low if true. 

Edited by dykwim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Incognito Owl said:

Kinda related and mini rant haha, but I hope the Olympics don't happen this year again. One reason is because I'm sick of hearing athletes crying about if it's gets cancelled again. If you saw it the other day, one was on sky sports news saying (from what I remember, so take it with a grain of salt) that athletes should be prioritised over the elderly, vulnerable and key workers ect. She even said her parents and grandparents ect. were in these categories, but deep down would feel sad ect. if herself and other athletes weren't prioritised and the Olympics didn't happen again. Are these people for real? It's sport, not life and death ect. I fear for people like this if things in the world get worse in the future. After a quick search for it, I found this instead: https://www.skysports.com/olympics/news/15234/12180389/olympics-official-says-prioritise-athletes-for-coronavirus-jab-so-tokyo-games-can-go-ahead Basically money over everything again. The swimmer, Alice Dearing, said it best at the bottom though.       

I hope they lose if that happens

• Like 1

3 hours ago, belfast owl lad said:

Less than 400 without pre existing issues died last year OF Covid, The chances of a fit and healthy young footballer dying must be miniscule.

1 hour ago, dykwim said:

have you got a link to the stats for that? That sounds really low if true. 

I've heard that ~400 stat mentioned before too, but you're right to think it sounds low, because while it was likely pulled from an official source, the number probably isn't describing what you might expect. 

It will be referring to the number of people who have died purely of Covid-19 without any other health conditions existing at the time of death. That might sound the same as dying without pre-existing conditions, but considering that the virus almost always causes some form of respiratory condition before it manages to kill you, these cases (which are the vast majority) would be recorded with multiple causes of death.

Many people develop pneumonia after contracting the virus for example, so it would be recorded as a comorbidity (ie. additional condition) to the virus itself. They won't be on the "died with no other conditions" list.

• Like 1

I really want football to continue and it’s a nice distraction from the bleak reality.

But the moral case for it confining is getting more and more weak. You’ve got players and staff from all parts of the country mixing. Even if you say no hugging a celebration and social distance in the dressing room, they’re still tackling, pulling, spitting and shouting at each other. And it’s also becoming more and more farcical how many players are having to isolate. 

The virus is as bad now as it’s ever been. The NHS is at breaking point and we’re under strict measures (that are likely to get stricter). Should football really continue under those circumstances? And then we’ve got the fact that some footballers have been pretty a reckless with the regulations. 

Elite athletes are very unlikely to get seriously ill. But it’s like with school children, it’s not them it’s the contracting of the virus. If a child’s dad has a serious health condition or their mum works in a care home - that is a massive risk. What if an elite footballer’s wife has recently recovered from cancer? Or if their child has severe asthma? And with the  ew variant being more virulent, what if they transfer it going to the shop?

Like i say, I love football, but when we’re asking people to stay home, it seems crazy that football is almost business as usual.

• Love 3