Pub Footballer OR Goal Machine ??

Put simply, if he gets the service he more than often scores. Doesn’t need to be pretty, doesn’t need to be the best goal ever crafted, the sexiest goal ever seen, just needs to go in the net.

He puts the ball in the net. I don’t care if he stumbles into the box, and the ball bounces in off his backside.

I like him, he’s effective.

The end.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Box_Man said:

Technically he’s an awful footballer, but Christ he’s a trier, and does have a knack of being in the right place in the 6yd box. 

His actually centre forward play today against McArdle was absolutely dire. He’s a makeshift forward but until we have better he’s all we’ve got.

My thoughts too.

I quite like him, but he’s a bit comical at times. I don’t really know what he is - I think that’s he’s big issue.

As a striker I actually think he’s inferior to Nuhiu. But then he looks poor defensively every time he’s in a deeper position, and I’ve not seen this energy arriving late into the box that Pulis talked about. 

How he and Palmer get in the Scotland side and Bannan doesn’t is a complete mystery to me

10 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

He is not a back to goal striker like Fletcher or even Nuhiu. He wins nothing in the air when the ball is fired at him in this scenario.

He has shown a remarkable knack of scoring when given the opportunity, I would imagine his goals per chance ratio is ridiculously high.

I think you’ve nailed it here regards having his back to goal. I think that’s what people might be missing. He’s playing there because there is no one else. 

He should really be finishing off moves, appearing in the box from pulled back crosses etc. 

Also, as you suggest, he’s not having shots galore - but if he gets a chance he puts it in. Especially when we create so little. 

( Look at his vital goal against Reading, extremely difficult for anyone else in our squad ... and if he doesn’t put that in we get nothing from that game). 

It’s hard to describe Patterson. For me, he doesn’t look like a professional footballer, and he plays like a someone you’d see playing Lower League, but he seems to be in the right place at the right time, and scores goals! He’s just a solid 6/7 out of 10 most games. He comes across a likeable person too. 

Doesn’t have enough attributes to even qualify as a striker for me A wholehearted trier, brave but with limited ability, but will give his all, wherever he is asked to play. Get a proper number 9 up there, and you will see a big difference

Guest wilyfox

He’s rough around the edges, but can be effective. I like him. I wanted us to sign Paterson. Glad we did. Never gonna be prolific, but capable of double-figures, like Windass, and that’s decent for 500k.

If you play someone up front as a 1 or in a 2 you play them there hoping they will score or make scoring more likely for others.

Paterson just scored 3 in 3 playing up front.

The only debate is whether we have someone who could replace him in that position who would have / will score more. 

If we do, play them. If we don't play Paterson.