4 4 2 in the champisonship?

For me we've proven we can defend and be solid. Any changes in personnel and formation should be with an effort to make us more potent upfront and be able to link midfield and attack much more effectively. Maybe it'd work some games against some teams. It does feel more balanced to me but obviously other days it wouldn't work. I think rather than formation it's quality we lack and that needs to be added in attacking positions both in midfield and upfront. Formation isn't as important.

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

For me we've proven we can defend and be solid. Any changes in personnel and formation should be with an effort to make us more potent upfront and be able to link midfield and attack much more effectively. Maybe it'd work some games against some teams. It does feel more balanced to me but obviously other days it wouldn't work. I think rather than formation it's quality we lack and that needs to be added in attacking positions both in midfield and upfront. Formation isn't as important.

Just thinking that at the moment we are playing Joey Shaw and Bannan in CM - or we were under Pulis.

It's overly defensive. 

Can Shaw and Bannan be an effective central duo without the help of Joey?

2 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Just thinking that at the moment we are playing Joey Shaw and Bannan in CM - or we were under Pulis.

It's overly defensive. 

Can Shaw and Bannan be an effective central duo without the help of Joey?

Yes if the team plays a lower block and sits in a bit more. 

7 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Paterson   Windass

Reach     Bannan    Shaw    Harris

Palmer   Dunkley    Lees   Odubajo

Westwood

Would this work?

Yes been wanting pretty much this side for a good while now but with Rhodes instead of Paterson. Shaw has stepped up and is possibly the long term replacement for Hutch (not that he went long without needing replacing)

Desperately need a proper striker alongside Windass, because Paterson was poor again today against very weak opposition.

15 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Paterson   Windass

Reach     Bannan    Shaw    Harris

Palmer   Dunkley    Lees   Odubajo

Westwood

Would this work?

Not for me, no Much prefer 4-2-3-1

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beholder said:

The way Carlos made it work was by making it narrower so the wide players were more like R/L-Mid  than wingers. 

Yes Maybe play him on the right so he will naturally drift inside. Relying on either dropping Harris or playing him at right back. 

1 hour ago, s29wfc said:

Would prefer a 4231 and sign a striker and a left back. 

Can play the same starting 11 as suggested 

just go 

Shaw      bannan 

harris.                Paterson             Reach 

Windass 

maybe even switch Paterson and windass around 

personally I’d like to see shaw where Paterson is but it’s a starting 11 that should keep us whatever formation 

Just now, Shetland Owl said:

still prefer 5 in midfield, think the two wingers can do better especially Harris who has no end product, so a replacement for him would be good or try Moses here. Reach is playing better each game. Still need two up top

If we go two up top, with two wingers, we’ll still end up with 442? My preference would be, a single striker, with three attacking players behind. All that next row of three need to be capable of goals tho

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we go two up top, with two wingers, we’ll still end up with 442? My preference would be, a single striker, with three attacking players behind. All that next row of three need to be capable of goals tho

My preferred formation too. And best suited to the players we have. As well as the 3 being able to score they really need to get in and around the striker to support him. Too many times this season our striker has been so isolated that there hasn't been a team mate within 30 yards of him thus needing to defend for long periods. Hopefully a more positive minded coach will stop all that and make us defend higher up the pitch.