Liam Shaw

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, NeonLeon said:

Brilliant today but he’s definitely a midfielder. The fact we’ve kept a clean sheet with him at centre back in two games is a miracle really. If Derby and Exeter had gone more direct I think he’d have struggled, playing into the strikers feet played into his hands a lot today. 

It’s confidence that brings it out of them though. People say about Penney, Hunt etc. and getting carried away. But there’s a definite argument that those players have broken through at times then been bombed for months at a time. We’ve mismanaged so many young players since Palmer came through. Fear for Dele-Bashiru in that respect too, clearly a very good player when the confidence is flowing through him. 

Shaw looks raw to me but has all the right attributes and is getting on the right side of the margins at the moment which is pumping his confidence which in turn is helping him perform. Against Derby at the end he gave the ball away cheaply in the box and Harris blocked it for a corner and we got away with it. A similar thing happened today where he nearly cost us a goal but didn’t. If either of those went in then that could change his current trajectory.. I guess I mean he’s promising but nowhere near the finished article.

Hunt and Penney look tidy footballers but they look like boys on a mans game. If they were 16/17 it would be understandable but when you get to 20-22 and still like that then it starts to become less clear they can make it.

Dele-Bashiru has all of the physical attributes but little quality on the ball and looks way off Championship level. I think City sign great athletes for their academy and then see if you can train any of them with the ball. Helan was similar in that respect 

Out of all of them, my first impression is that only Shaw has a good chance of making it at our level.. the rest might end up as pros in the lower leagues which is still a great achievement in itself 

There's levels to this game.

Most players coming through the ranks need time, dropping down a lower league to build the physical maturity to come back and show they're worthy of competing. 

Not Liam Shaw. We have Pulis to be greatful for something atleast.

• Like 1

It could only happen at Wednesday in that our most promising player is out of contract in the Summer and therefore only worth pittance right now.

It would be great to tie him down to a new deal and see how he develops in the next couple of years.

With his energy and size I see him as a CM right now who can drop back to CB in emergencies. We miss an imposing body in the middle of the park.

100% we should sign him up on a decent length deal with a reasonable wage for our benefit but I actually think it’s for his benefit as well. 
We are playing him and clearly developing him pretty well. 
If he goes somewhere else he runs a huge risk of not continuing on the fantastic path he’s on. 
Finally a win win?

14 minutes ago, El Toro said:

It could only happen at Wednesday in that our most promising player is out of contract in the Summer and therefore only worth pittance right now.

It would be great to tie him down to a new deal and see how he develops in the next couple of years.

With his energy and size I see him as a CM right now who can drop back to CB in emergencies. We miss an imposing body in the middle of the park.

Im very critical of how the club is run, yet on this occasion I think the criticism is harsh. Its not like he has been putting in these performances for months.

Allowing players like Reach and Bannan to potentially leave on a free is criminal however.

4 minutes ago, sw1867 said:

Im very critical of how the club is run, yet on this occasion I think the criticism is harsh. Its not like he has been putting in these performances for months.

Allowing players like Reach and Bannan to potentially leave on a free is criminal however.

Wasn’t being overly critical but we do seem to let the odd one slip through the net. He’s been performing well in the development squad and a lot that follow that group have said he’s been the stand-out player who could step up.