Exeter - V - Wednesday FA Cup 3rd Round OMDT

11 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

What’s your take on Paul Cook @Lord Snooty if he is appointed Manager?

Cook, like anyone walking in down there will have to know one thing. 

He's first team coach and not Football club manager!

That will go for any of them. Seems to be something the younger , and especially the foreign coaches are used to.

I do wonder if that's why we got Carlos the first time around and not the chap from Swindon.

Manager from these shores seem to want a certain level of control. Certainly the older chaps anyway.

The younger ones will largely put up with anything to keep their arm in the game!

If he's ok with that (Cook) Then I'd be as happy with him than any of the other Enlgish/British coaches. Infact of those touted from that side of things, he's probably the most appealing. He's got a good record of promotions. Seems to be able to get a tune out of players in these divisions and seems to be able to work with the tools he's given. (Which will appeal to our Chairman and his advisors) By all accounts he has an attacking philosophy and people I know who have had him manage their clubs haven't really a bad word to say about him. 

If he gets it I'll be behind him 100%. As I try to with them all.

I do think that if he tries to get us playing more attack minded football he'll buy himself more time with the fans than his two predecessors.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Think the team will be a lot weaker than that.

Jackson

Dawodu

Brennan

Rice

Galvin

Aguas

Thompson

Waldock

Grant

Hughes

Hagan

Subs - Render, Cox, Reaney, Zottos, Adedoyin, Hall, Trueman, Farmer, Curtis

XaW.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

39 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Jackson

Dawodu

Brennan

Rice

Galvin

Aguas

Thompson

Waldock

Grant

Hughes

Hagan

It'll be even weaker than that seeing as Hagan and Adedoyin are injured. Might even have to play Rhodes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thank you for that Lord Snooty !  I miss the old pitches, looked like the Somme, after the match, arguably even before the match...reminds me of Rooney saying that the Hillsborough pitch was not up to his standards...

The nearest we have to a "fat Player" would be Paterson,  but when he hit's, it hurts, and when you hit him, you get hurt again.

Anyway, Cup game or not, who wants to lose?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KivoOwl said:

Jackson

Dawodu

Brennan

Rice

Galvin

Aguas

Thompson

Waldock

Grant

Hughes

Hagan

If we are aloud to play first team squad members then the fringe players will play. 

But I got a feeling we won't be able to so it will look a lot like this.

• Thanks 1

Brilliant as always snoots, as I literally nothing better to do as I'm in isolation because my best friend is been tested for covid, I may as well watch the match 🤣🤣, just joking about watching it, I always watch every Wednesday match that live on tv, hope my friend comes back negative otherwise I'm confined to my house for 2 weeks, a Wednesday win would definitely lighten the mood, 2 nil win I predict, uto, wawaw, stay safe my fellow owls 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

" This is it isn't it. This is what we need, ho! I good old fashioned FA Cup ding-dong. Yes, the January blues are edging their way in and we all need that little bit of rejuvenation. And here it is. You can smell it can't you Stubbs?"

"Smell what ,Sir?"

"The magic Stubbs! You can smell the magic! Ah yes. Third round day. Wireless on. The home service. Frosty morning. Air billowing out of the mouth. Remember as a child Stubbs you'd exhale and pretend you were smoking a cigar?"

"Not really ,Sir"

"Yes. We did. Ahh Cigars. That's something else. These early January games. Frost on the pitch, twinkling like a millions icy diamonds and all the stands filled with the rich aroma of Cigar smoke. Cigar smoke and Bovril"

"Hmmm. You paint really romantic  picture ,Sir"

image.png.4b51f9b7b864c1e89de2b11b92e79d32.png

"Programmes held to forehead to block out that low winter sun glowing above the little stand on the other side of the ground of the lower division club. Match of the day, portable camera stands. Ahh yes, camera pans out, young boys sat up a tree on a hill watching the game though the gap between the two stands. Too many bowl Stadiums now, even at that level .But not today. The magic. Two teams giving it the full gun in this famous competition.  Always great to see the bigger name players out there in these little grounds. It's the great leveller isn't it."

"Ahem, I think Wednesday are set to ring the changes, Sir. There's been a Covid outbreak in the camp"

"For Gods sake! I'm sick of this bloody Covid thing ruining everything!"

"To be honest, they'd have probably made 8 or 9 changes anyway, Sir. Concentrate on the League and such"

"No! Not and such. What's wrong with the world these days. Why ring the bloody changes! "

"Priorities, Sir. They don't want to risk any injuries in a nothing game"

"Nothing game! A nothing game, the bloody FA Cup third round! And why are they more likely to get injured in this anyway? They're not!"

"They play a lot of games these days, Sir, it's.."

"Bloody hell. They played a lot of games in the old days! Emlyn Hughes, 120 in the 1976 season"

"120 games, really ,Sir?

"Well, a slight exaggeration maybe. But bloody hell what's wrong with them these days"

"The games played at a faster tempo ,Sir"

"Faster tempo! I'll tell you what's wrong with them. They're not fat enough! They're too professional. That's what it is. You didn't get Puskas pulling a hamstring and being out for 16 weeks. No, because his top speed was a yard behind our paperboy! There's too much charging about today. They need a bit of blubber. You see two players collide today and they're both rolling about on the floor. One out for a year. Fat blokes whack each other and bounce off. Plenty of padding.  They're too fit today, Stubbs, too fit"

"Too fit, Sir? I mean really..."

"Too finely tuned. Like formula one cars. Too much to go wrong. The game needs more fat players. More Jan Molbys and less Theo Walcotts. They're not fat enough and they're mentally weak. Half the time I think they're willing themselves to take a knock you know,  gives them chance for a definite TV close up." 

"The Science says.."

"To hell with following the Science. Get them out there after all, it's tradition, what could go wrong!?"

------------------------------------

EXETER CITY

V's

WEDNESDAY

image.png.6dda5d3cc0361aa1030d2f7bfc2bd65c.png

The FA Cup Third Round

Saturday 9th January 2021

St James Park, Exeter

Kick off : 3:00pm

Exeter will be without Pierce Sweeney after he suffered a hamstring injury on Boxing day, while Rory McArdle looks set to miss out with a knee injury.

Josh Key will be in contention for a starting berth after recovering from COVID-19.

image.png.d17e585456e4a5a570c083e508c0e8bf.png

Exeter City possible:
Maxsted

Caprice    Parkes   Hartridge   Sparkes

Williams   Taylor   Collins  Randall

Jay     Bowman

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday have has a well publicised outbreak of Covid at the club and as such there is no readily available team news. However, given the league battle and the way games have been coming thick and fast , it isn't beyond the realms that players would have been rested any eve, with no Covid  .

image.png.5c7a2265f0d99cb174e73c333e096da1.png

Sheffield Wednesday possible :
Wildsmith

Palmer   Shaw  Van Aken

Odubajo   Brown   Dele-Bashiru      Hunt   Penney

Kachunga   Rhodes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"So it's the reserves is it then Stubbs? The reserves. Well. It'll have to be them then. Out there in the cold. Basking in the magic of the Cup. Down there on a boggy lower league pitch."

"Actually Sir, I gather Exeters pitch is really very good. They've had state of the art combination grass and microfibre.."

"But why?! What's the bloody point!  Why are people ruining football! For Heavens sake! There was nothing wrong with it!" 

giphy.gif

Thanks Snoots, I wouldn't play the strongest side, but do want us to win/progress. Also brilliant video clip.

tenor.gif Maybe I could try out for us haha.

4 hours ago, trumbullowl said:

Oh for a rousing chorus of

Who ate all the pies?

Who ate all the pies?

You fat bast'rd, you fat bastr'd

You ate all the pies.

I like Paterson. 

C'm on Wednesday!

shaw4.jpg?strip=all&w=742&h=417&crop=1 Proper keeper, non of this de Dea ect. acrobatic crap haha. 

• Haha 2

Excellent post Milord as usual. 

I too long for the days when the 3rd round was a day which gave me a fizzing sensation down there, as James May would say.

But traditions are dying away. I mean, in the old days you’d never have found someone called Pierce Sweeney playing football. Sounds like a 1980s US TV special agent. And I recall Rory McArdle being another of those promising youngsters we let go. He’s probably about 40 now. 

Time flies when you’re having fun. Actually come to think of it I’m not really having fun.....

Come on Wednesday Juniors. Good luck today. Let’s cause a cupset.

Up the Owls.

• Haha 3