1 minute ago, Pieman said:

He isnt my choice, based on fans feedback about him. However, we need to get moving and he clearly wants the job. I know we need to make the right decision, but can we have that in the next 72 hours please?

What’s the fans feedback on him? I’ll tell you that this feedback is probably nonsense and not based on watching Paul Cook’s football. 

It actually surprises me the amount of people on here who don’t seem to know anything about football. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

What’s the fans feedback on him? I’ll tell you that this feedback is probably nonsense and not based on watching Paul Cook’s football. 

It actually surprises me the amount of people on here who don’t seem to know anything about football. 

Football?  What's all that about then?  Love self proclaimed experts, you can learn so much from them.

• Like 3

Guest Therealrealist
26 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

It surprises you??😂

Sometimes I really do wonder who people think we should recruit. Comments like uninspiring, are frankly stupid. Look at the table and take off the glasses. We're in a dog fight with a poor squad bar one or two players. We've been out of the top flight for 20 years or so and still fans think we can attract top managers. 

The list as a whole is uninspiring, but, he's got experience of the league has won promotions and isn't going to cost a fortune. Surely that has to be better than some foreigner who's never even been in the championship. 

We're where we are because of  mismanagement and a line of managers who haven't cut it. For me, he's the best we can do in our situation. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Whoever’s appointed will either be a spectacular success or failure. As I see it this is DC’s last throw of the managerial dice and this decision will define his time here once and for all?

I’m not overly sold on Cook but that doesn’t mean I dismiss what he’s achieved in his managerial career so far. The target now is survival in this division and he could well achieve that if appointed? 

The fun starts when the expectations change from the chairman down to those on here w@nking themselves off at his likely appointment. They will be the first to start mumping if we’re not challenging for promotion to the premier league?

As for me I’m just going to watch things unfold. If it’s Cook I hope he’s very successful here and if so I will be one of the first to acknowledge him. I just think with the way we may be run from now on, that a coach who is used to working with players who are at his disposal day in, day out will be more suited to the job here than a British Manager who is used to total autonomy over football matters.

Only time will tell 😘

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, marshy said:

Sometimes I really do wonder who people think we should recruit. Comments like uninspiring, are frankly stupid. Look at the table and take off the glasses. We're in a dog fight with a poor squad bar one or two players. We've been out of the top flight for 20 years or so and still fans think we can attract top managers. 

The list as a whole is uninspiring, but, he's got experience of the league has won promotions and isn't going to cost a fortune. Surely that has to be better than some foreigner who's never even been in the championship. 

We're where we are because of  mismanagement and a line of managers who haven't cut it. For me, he's the best we can do in our situation. 

Agree Lee...Pep ain't coming here anytime soon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, northeastowl said:

Try reading my numerous posts on Paul Cook. Don’t worry about apologising. Just try not to spout your poo before actually knowing anything.

• Thanks 1

I'm not overly excited about Cook (the same as I would be with the other managers I would realistically want though) and don't know his style of football 100%, as I don't watch/follow his teams/the Championship highlights ect. But here is some information I thought was interesting after doing more research.

• He played in the Premier League with Coventry in the mid 90's.
  • Been a manager for 14 years with 6 different clubs, sacked only once in his first job after half a season in 2007.   
  • His first season with Sligo Rovers in Ireland he finished 6th in the Premier Division, second season 4th and qualified for the Europa League, third season 6th with a FIA Cup final, fourth season won the League Cup and FIA Cup and his fifth and final season he won the FIA Cup again. 
  • Chesterfield got him from Accrington Stanley in October 2012 after a few months in charge, finished that season 8th two points of the League 2 Play Offs, second season finished Champions and finished the following season in League 1 6th in the Play Offs.
  • Joined Portsmouth in 2015 after a compensation fee again and took two years to win the League 2 Title.
  • Wigan got him from Portsmouth in 2017 after getting relegated from the Championship. In his first season he led them to the League 1 Title and knocked out Premier League teams West Ham, Bournemouth and Man City in the FA Cup. Finished 18th in the Championship with a record of W13 D13 L20 GF51 GA64 GD-13 Pts 52, 12 points from relegation and 12 from us in 12th. Last season finished 12th, but got relegated with -12 points with a record of W15 D14 L17 GF57 GA56 GD1 Pts 59/47, we finished 16th with 56 points.
  • He mainly plays 4-2-3-1, but has also played a bit of 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and varied 3 at the back formations in the Championship.                        
  • His overall record in the Championship is P92 W28 D27 L37 GF108 GA120 GD-12 Pts 111 PPM 1.21. His overall record for all clubs is P671 W289 D171 L211 W% 43.1, with over 40% at his last 3 jobs at Wigan, Portsmouth and Chesterfield.
  • Average term as manager 2.36 years.
  • Record against us P4 W2 D0 L2 GF 5 GA 5, results W3-2, L1-0, L1-0, W2-1.        

Information from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cook_(footballer) & https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-cook/profil/trainer/8661     

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Incognito Owl said:

I'm not overly excited about Cook (the same as I would be with the other managers I would realistically want though) and don't know his style of football 100%, as I don't watch/follow his teams/the Championship highlights ect. But here is some information I thought was interesting after doing more research.

• He played in the Premier League with Coventry in the mid 90's.
  • Been a manager for 14 years with 6 different clubs, sacked only once in his first job after half a season in 2007.   
  • His first season with Sligo Rovers in Ireland he finished 6th in the Premier Division, second season 4th and qualified for the Europa League, third season 6th with a FIA Cup final, fourth season won the League Cup and FIA Cup and his fifth and final season he won the FIA Cup again. 
  • Chesterfield got him from Accrington Stanley in October 2012 after a few months in charge, finished that season 8th two points of the League 2 Play Offs, second season finished Champions and finished the following season in League 1 6th in the Play Offs.
  • Joined Portsmouth in 2015 after a compensation fee again and took two years to win the League 2 Title.
  • Wigan got him from Portsmouth in 2017 after getting relegated from the Championship. In his first season he led them to the League 1 Title and knocked out Premier League teams West Ham, Bournemouth and Man City in the FA Cup. Finished 18th in the Championship with a record of W13 D13 L20 GF51 GA64 GD-13 Pts 52, 12 points from relegation and 12 from us in 12th. Last season finished 12th, but got relegated with -12 points with a record of W15 D14 L17 GF57 GA56 GD1 Pts 59/47, we finished 16th with 56 points.
  • He mainly plays 4-2-3-1, but has also played a bit of 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and varied 3 at the back formations in the Championship.                        
  • His overall record in the Championship is P92 W28 D27 L37 GF108 GA120 GD-12 Pts 111 PPM 1.21. His overall record for all clubs is P671 W289 D171 L211 W% 43.1, with over 40% at his last 3 jobs at Wigan, Portsmouth and Chesterfield.
  • Average term as manager 2.36 years.
  • Record against us P4 W2 D0 L2 GF 5 GA 5, results W3-2, L1-0, L1-0, W2-1.        

Information from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Cook_(footballer) & https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/paul-cook/profil/trainer/8661     

Also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_EFL_Championship & https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_EFL_Championship 

2 hours ago, Jim said:

The fun starts when the expectations change from the chairman down to those on here w@nking themselves off at his likely appointment. They will be the first to start mumping if we’re not challenging for promotion to the premier league

Oh I don't know...I reckon you could beat them to the punch, Jim.

:duntmatter:

• Haha 1

Based on his record in the EFL, he makes complete sense.

I am not sure what would constitute an inspiring choice in our situation. I think someone from abroad could be in terms of talking about how they want to play and talking a good game, but then the reality of the relegation battle kicks in. 

Cook probably a good mix of someone who knows the EFL but capable of playing on the front foot. Best of both worlds, even if he doesn’t have the image or background of some of the continental coaches linked.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marshy said:

I give you Jack Charlton.

• Thanks 1