• Nationality

United Kingdom

Male
  • Position

Manager

Paul Cook

Soccer

Description

Paul Anthony Cook (born 22 February 1967) is an English professional football manager and former player who is the manager of Championship club Wigan Athletic. Cook played as a central midfielder during a playing career that spanned 23 years from 1983 until 2006, notably in the Premier League for Coventry City. He also played in the Football League for Wigan Athletic, Norwich City, Wolverhampton Wanderers, Tranmere Rovers, Stockport County and Burnley. He also played Non-league football for Marine and Accrington Stanley. He moved into management in 2006 with Southport and later Sligo Rovers. In February 2012, he returned to English management with Accrington before moving to Chesterfield in October of the same year. In May 2015, he was appointed manager of League Two outfit Portsmouth after a release clause was met in his Chesterfield contract. In May 2017, he was appointed manager of League One club Wigan Athletic where he went on to win the league and go into the Championship.

This page uses the TheSportsDB.com API.
10 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Looks like Alan BIggs' Paul Cook campaign is going to succeed.

Odds collapsing on Cook now odds on.

Good appointment IMO wanted him when Monk was sacked

Agree, me too. In the situation we find ourselves in and with the players Chansiri has recruited, he is a sensible choice.

Hopefully he can hit the ground running, bring some mid table security and stability. I question whether he's the right manager for a promotion push (although done it in L1), but right here and now, would be a positive  appointment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Jesus said:

I assume Windass will be off to WBA too then!?

Hopefully not for £400k

Surely would need £1m at least, Premiership team, desperate for attackers... exploit that.

• Like 2

Not the exciting appointment I’d hoped for but should keep us in the league.  I suppose with Chansiri in charge we can’t exactly dream of promotion anytime soon anyway, so Cook will do for me. 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

I can confirm just seen him KFC car park doing a zoom call withDC, copper came over and asked him why he was so far from home and he said for work! 

• Haha 9
3 minutes ago, Jesus said:

I assume Windass will be off to WBA too then!?

Genuine question.. did something go off with them while at wigan? I should know but I dont. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

The odds collapsing has more to do with fans betting, than who the eventual Manager will be.

• Like 2

On Cook, I previously said it was an appointment I could live with. Might be the nearest we get to some form of concensus without everyone falling out over not getting their no.1 choice.

Appoint him and let’s get on with it. 

• Like 6

photo.jpg 

• Haha 2

"The trouble with "lessons from history" is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins."   

"Girls are simply wonderful. Just to stand on a corner and watch them go past is delightful. They don't walk. At least not what we do when we walk. I don't know how to describe it, but it's much more complex and utterly delightful. They don't move just their feet; everything moves and in different directions . . . and all of it graceful."  Starship Troopers, Amen!        

Probably the best we could hope for in the situation that we find ourselves in.

Just in case it doesn't work, get ready for Chansiri blaming fans for suggesting him

• Haha 3

Not for me. Would rather an unknown or exciting foreign manager. 

Hopefully it will be just to the end of the season and then we bring In someone else. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, me too. In the situation we find ourselves in and with the players Chansiri has recruited, he is a sensible choice.

Hopefully he can hit the ground running, bring some mid table security and stability. I question whether he's the right manager for a promotion push (although done it in L1), but right here and now, would be a positive  appointment.

He'd be more than a sensible choice mate, just been having a detailed look at his cv and its more impressive than I first thought.

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

I can confirm just seen him KFC car park doing a zoom call withDC, copper came over and asked him why he was so far from home and he said for work! 

Copper said “Ha ha, pull the other one, a scouser working”.

• Haha 7
1 minute ago, jp1981 said:

Not for me. Would rather an unknown or exciting foreign manager. 

Hopefully it will be just to the end of the season and then we bring In someone else. 

They will be unknown for a good reason.

Hold up. Can’t appoint him for two weeks apparently as he has COVID.

Only joking. Calm down dears. Have your Snickers.

1 minute ago, s29wfc said:

He'd be more than a sensible choice mate, just been having a detailed look at his cv and its more impressive than I first thought.

Agree, certainly a credible  candidate. I'd be happy if appointed 

• Like 3