Jump to content

Recommended Posts

He was our forward substitute whenever Joicey or Prendo came off or were injured...a real trier and and scored some really good goals too.  Fond memories for me of those three as I'd just started becoming obsessed with The Owls as we all do - with me it was from 70/71 onwards after going to my first game the Man City relegation match the season before... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Prendo's boots said:

He was our forward substitute whenever Joicey or Prendo came off or were injured...a real trier and and scored some really good goals too.  Fond memories for me of those three as I'd just started becoming obsessed with The Owls as we all do - with me it was from 70/71 onwards after going to my first game the Man City relegation match the season before... 

As a kid growing up in Oxford, I didn’t have access to much Wednesday stuff, a rosette, a pendant and an Umbro shirt that vaguely resembled our kit. I cut off the blue cuffs. The walls of my room were covered in pictures and Wednesday cuttings from papers and magazines like Goal, Shoot and Football Monthly. Because it was hard to source stuff, outside of Sheffield back then, that stuff was precious to me. One day I noticed a big hole where a full colour portrait of David Sunley was, and accused my mum of taking my stuff. A few days later, she took me into my sisters room, and there it was, on the her bedroom wall, alongside her collection of others David’s, Essex, Cassidy etc. Have to say, it didn’t look out of place, so I let her keep it

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

We weren’t great back then, but at least we’d take the game to our opponents. 

They look a lot more comfortable on the ball than our modern Wednesday players, more similar to the style of play I was used to from Wednesday in the 90s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2021 at 11:34, gurujuan said:

I never saw him play, but a friend of mine is related to him, and his father says Sunley was a talented lad, who should have gone a lot further. Looking at his stats, he seemed OKish for us, albeit at a time when we weren’t setting a particularly high bar. I wondered if many on here saw him play and what recollections they might have. 
Looks like he should have been in a boy band, if they had those back then

He's now a professional daffodil grower. Karma...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop star looks and skilful enough but didn’t have the necessary grizzle to play at the level we were at then. If he’d been at Villa he would have been Brian Little!

Banno was a far more lethal finisher and a touch braver. Sunley shaded him on looks but Banno had the better fringe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember him scoring at Burnley , they were running away with the league and Wednesday seldom won away but we won 1-0 

we were stood in the middle of Burnley‘ s kop and I got a clip off me dad for celebrating . 
 

also saw Graham Pugh play about ten years ago ........... crib in the Ranch down Chap . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at that game and even after watching the video I don't remember a thi about it!  Just amazed that Holsgrove could head it further than I could kick it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2021 at 11:34, gurujuan said:

I never saw him play, but a friend of mine is related to him, and his father says Sunley was a talented lad, who should have gone a lot further. Looking at his stats, he seemed OKish for us, albeit at a time when we weren’t setting a particularly high bar. I wondered if many on here saw him play and what recollections they might have. 
Looks like he should have been in a boy band, if they had those back then

good player, was linked with a move to Arsenal, could have done with toughening up, easily knocked off the ball, but at the time he was better than most

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just watched him score 2 v Man U in the 4-4 draw from 1974.

Available to download on ITV 4 - The Big Match Revisited

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/01/2021 at 10:10, gurujuan said:

As a kid growing up in Oxford, I didn’t have access to much Wednesday stuff, a rosette, a pendant and an Umbro shirt that vaguely resembled our kit. I cut off the blue cuffs. The walls of my room were covered in pictures and Wednesday cuttings from papers and magazines like Goal, Shoot and Football Monthly. Because it was hard to source stuff, outside of Sheffield back then, that stuff was precious to me. One day I noticed a big hole where a full colour portrait of David Sunley was, and accused my mum of taking my stuff. A few days later, she took me into my sisters room, and there it was, on the her bedroom wall, alongside her collection of others David’s, Essex, Cassidy etc. Have to say, it didn’t look out of place, so I let her keep it

Please excuse me for quoting my own post, but it got me thinking about how much the club has influenced my life. For most, it’s likely you inherit your allegiance from previous generations of Wednesday supporting family and friends. For me there was no such allegiance. 
From the age of about 7 or 8, when I first took a real interest in football, I decided that I would support Sheffield Wednesday. I know not why, perhaps I was intrigued by the name, it was pretty unique 

Back then, as I mentioned above, it was difficult to find Wednesday related stuff living in Oxford. My stepfather took me to my first Wednesday game, at home to Derby County while I was I was still a nipper. When I was 14 I went to my first game on my own, well actually with a 15 year old friend, away at Coventry. At 16-17 I was making the pilgrimage to Hillsborough, sometimes by train, often by hitch hiking, on a regular basis. Much to my parents frustration, I abandoned my schooling and moved to Sheffield. Four of us made that move, 3 from Oxford, and a lad from Banbury, all of us finding work at a local steelworks. Got my first season ticket at 17, and didn’t miss a single game, home or away for 2 years. At 19 I returned to Oxford following the death of my father. Managed to enrol on a foundation course at Banbury College of Art. On completion of my course, I was desperate to return north, so applied to Psalter Lane Art College. Luckily I got in, finished my degree, and rejoined the workforce 

There I stayed, working in the entertainment industry for a further 15 years. For most of that time I had a season ticket, now in the North, after previously having had one for the Kop. 
Although I’ve been back in Oxford for a good few years now, and no longer have a season ticket, I still regularly attend matches. In fact, Wednesday have been the only constant in my life. Acquaintances, even friends, relationships, marriages and work, all come and go, but Sheffield Wednesday has, and will always be, a big part of my life. So strange, that a childhood whim, has so shaped my life. I honestly wouldn’t change a thing though.

Be interesting to hear from others with no obvious connection to Sheffield, on how their support of the club, has influenced their lives

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This post has now got me confused.  I remember us buying a young lad from Doncaster way back.  If I remember right he made his debut against Hull who had Terry Neill playing for them. It always stuck in my mind as Neill was chairman of the PFA and proceeded to kick this young lad all over the park.

Now the confusion comes in because I had it in my mind the young lad was David Sunley, but reading this post clearly wasn’t.

Can anyone help? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Minesapint said:

This post has now got me confused.  I remember us buying a young lad from Doncaster way back.  If I remember right he made his debut against Hull who had Terry Neill playing for them. It always stuck in my mind as Neill was chairman of the PFA and proceeded to kick this young lad all over the park.

Now the confusion comes in because I had it in my mind the young lad was David Sunley, but reading this post clearly wasn’t.

Can anyone help? 


Steve Downes ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:


Steve Downes ?

Rovrum wasn’t he? The only one I recall from Donny, was Warboys Can’t imagine anyone kicking lumps outa him

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Minesapint said:

This post has now got me confused.  I remember us buying a young lad from Doncaster way back.  If I remember right he made his debut against Hull who had Terry Neill playing for them. It always stuck in my mind as Neill was chairman of the PFA and proceeded to kick this young lad all over the park.

Now the confusion comes in because I had it in my mind the young lad was David Sunley, but reading this post clearly wasn’t.

Can anyone help? 

Harold Wilcockson (listed as a right back) joined from Doncaster (1969), but  made his debut (Dec '69) before Terry Neill joined Hull. Wilcockson did make his debut at home to Arsenal, a game that Terry Neill DID play in.

 

Hope this helps 

Link to post
Share on other sites

He lived near me in North Yorkshire and I played with him in the North Riding County team and against him for school.He was the stand out player and in those days scouts flocked to English Schools Cup games.The Wednesday scout was always around and me being from Sheffield and an Owl I tried like hell to impress,Probably too hard when I think ,I wouldn't pass to any bugger,wizard of the dribble,not.

He was a year older than me and when he signed for the Owls I was delighted and thought ,that could be me next year,but sadly not good enough.

His family still live nearby.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Rovrum wasn’t he? The only one I recall from Donny, was Warboys Can’t imagine anyone kicking lumps outa him

Yes Rotherham 

 

Warboys, Wilcockson in the late 60s and then nothing until Glynn Snodin from Donny

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...