Vladimir Ivić

21 minutes ago, HillsboroughOwlNI said:

Yet more positives from Brexit! :ph34r:

Now go and get Paul Cook pls DC!

Let’s hope it’s true. Get Cook in and let him crack on! 

I don’t know much about him. What is clear is he runs a tight ship and is a disciplinarian. I personally believe that is what is required in team sports and over the years, has proven to work. However, the world is changing and post Bosman, players have had increasing influence over the game. This approach has failed 3 times with the majority of our current squad, why would it work this time? In the long term, with a manager given time and money, it would bring us the rewards Wilder brought to the pigs. What I worry about is the next 5 months, can this kind of manager keep this squad up?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

60% win ratio in his managerial career to date. Not to be sniffed at

Far better than some of the tripe we've been linked with

It's definitely to be sniffed at, exactly like the post i made in the thread about Bruno Lage and his Benfica record.

He's got a 60% win record and look at the teams he's been in charge of.

PAOK - One of the biggest clubs in Greece
Maccabi Tel Aviv - again one of the biggest clubs in isreal
Watford - sacked after 22 games

He had 91 games at Maccabi Tel Aviv winning 61 drawing 22 losing 8. 

Maccabi Tel Aviv sit 2nd in the eternal table of that league 

Every club he's managed are expected to be in and around the top of the table within the top 4 for PAOK and within top 2 for Maccabi Tel Aviv and Watford this season should be right up there with the amount of depth and quality in that squad.

Again business within Watford circles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

60% win ratio in his managerial career to date. Not to be sniffed at

Far better than some of the tripe we've been linked with

Not sure how much you can read into those figures when it was mainly in the footballing hotbeds of Israel and Greece

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd be a little underwhelmed by this appointment if it becomes official.  Like several other posters, ones of my big concerns is how his disciplinarian approach will go down.  It might help that I don't associate the Wednesday squad with Deeney-sized egos.  I can live with defensive tactics if they get results.  I can't imagine him being more negative than Pulis, and I'd like to think he won't constantly throw the players under the bus like Pulis did either.  Perhaps the issues with his personality and tactics are exaggerated.  I'm not aware of any previous mutinies against him for one thing. You can be strict and still treat players with respect.

I'm more than happy to give him a chance.  Yes, it's hard to compare the Championship with the other leagues he's managed in, but Watford aside, he has a great track record.  On Watford, I think it's fair to make the case that he was hard done by judging by dressing room issues that have been mentioned repeatedly. 

Also, in his favour, he now has (fresh) Championship experience and no doubt he did his homework in analysing Wednesday's squad before the teams last met. 

Lastly, I think he'd be very eager to prove that Watford made a mistake by letting him go, so he wouldn't be short on motivation!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

That's all a bit tenuous. Paxo may know the Pozzo's but how do you actually know how friendly they are?

As for limited managerial experience, if 168 games in charge is limited then what constitutes experienced?

Had he not had 22 games at Watford, how would you view his credentials based on the strength of the leagues in Greece and Israel.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against him, genuinely don't know much about him, which is my concern.

On the face of it, we're appointing a manager who is an apparent authoritarian in approach,. which we know doesn't work with our squad and doesn't seem to have an attacking mindset...based on his time at Watford setting up 541?

As for advisors being friendly with Pozzo's, it's been reported before and our early transfer business with Watford demonstrates we have been an outlet for their unwanted players, not necessarily successful. There is a reaeon we constantly shopped and a few clubs repeatedly