Vladimir Ivić

Theres no chance Ivic would've worked out anyway. His authoritarian style alongside DC? Would've been a disaster.

Its just depressing though that we have so few good options who either want the job or would fit in here. 

Maybe just leave it to Thompson and hope he keeps us up, then find a young ambitious coach in the summer as a long term plan. Not that DC has ever heard of those things.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dale Johnson now changed his mind and says Ivic probably qualifies for pre settled status because he was at Watford. Well that’s a crap start to the weekend.

I said that to him when he was spouting about new rules... Got a swift "absolutely no chance of that happening" reply...  An hour later it was a possibility 

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Dale Johnson now changed his mind and says Ivic probably qualifies for pre settled status because he was at Watford. Well that’s a crap start to the weekend. 

I thought the EU settlement scheme only applied to EU, EEA or Swiss citizens.

I could be wrong but think a non EU citizen would have to apply for a work visa.

21 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I thought the EU settlement scheme only applied to EU, EEA or Swiss citizens.

I could be wrong but think a non EU citizen would have to apply for a work visa.

Apparently has dual nationality has Greek passport. 

10 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So why do you think Cook would be a good appointment on that basis?

He did a good job at Wigan but what they produced wasn't exactly free-flowing front-foot stuff. His team scored less goals than we did under Garry Monk last season and if it wasn't for the one freak result against Hull they would have been the lowest scorers in the division. I'd imagine it would be more attacking than Pulis but it would be difficult not to be. 

He’s reputed to play attacking football, have a generally positive attitude and lifts spirits. Goals don’t tell the full story. There are no nailed on certainties. We aren’t hiring Klopp and giving him zillions. Cook’s record makes him a sensible, practical choice.

I wouldn’t be against giving someone more random the job if he interviews well and had the right credentials, recommendations. Not sure we have anyone in charge capable of making that judgement though. 

A defensive, authoritarian recently drummed out of Watford after falling out with his squad and annoying  the fans isn’t my ideal. 

4 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

He’s reputed to play attacking football, have a generally positive attitude and lifts spirits. Goals don’t tell the full story. There are no nailed on certainties. We aren’t hiring Klopp and giving him zillions. Cook’s record makes him a sensible, practical choice.

I wouldn’t be against giving someone more random the job if he interviews well and had the right credentials, recommendations. Not sure we have anyone in charge capable of making that judgement though. 

A defensive, authoritarian recently drummed out of Watford after falling out with his squad and annoying  the fans isn’t my ideal. 

How is he a defensive authoritarian? Just because Watford didn't give him the chance? Watford are hardly short of making strange snap managerial decisions.

Look at what Wigan fans had to say about Cook up to lockdown last season, their feeling were his style at this level was defensive and boring, much the same as Watford fans were saying about Ivic. 

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

He had 4 months in country and returned to Serbia after dismissal so not sure it would apply. If his family still in Serbia it would not.

I have seen two conflicting articles on managerial work permits. First one stated had to have been in employment as manager for 24 months continually or 36 months in last 5 years and it is in a tier 1 to 5 of football. The second was the same except it said it had to be in tier 1 football country. He would qualify under first criteria but not under second. Their is no room for negotiation as these are clearly defined requirements so it is a simple yes or no answer. 

The requirement when bringing players from abroad makes it far easier from to top tier and extremely difficult from lower tiers. I think the requirement set for players has been assumed same for managers and in first article I read it said was far easier to bring managers in as was tiers 1 -5. It did say assistants and back room staff would be very difficult to appoint as would need degree qualifications and 5 years experience in relevant job.

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How is he a defensive authoritarian? Just because Watford didn't give him the chance? Watford are hardly short of making strange snap managerial decisions.

Look at what Wigan fans had to say about Cook up to lockdown last season, their feeling were his style at this level was defensive and boring, much the same as Watford fans were saying about Ivic. 

I’m not a massive Cook fan. I can see sensible practical reasons for hiring him. Just like I could Bruce for example That’s all. He’s got a good overall record in this country and generally has played positive football and will bring an overall air of positivity. 

I can see very upsides  to the other guy. 

Comment from a Watford fan about Ivic on another forum:

Well if you want more dull ,negative, sleep inducing football he is your man !

Ok results weren’t bad but boy the performances were soulless and depressing at a time when fans need cheering up.

Only scored away 5 goals up till Ivic went and that is with some decent attacking players.

15 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I’m not a massive Cook fan. I can see sensible practical reasons for hiring him. Just like I could Bruce for example That’s all. He’s got a good overall record in this country and generally has played positive football and will bring an overall air of positivity. 

I can see very upsides  to the other guy. 

Apart from his high win percentage at every club he has managed, including Watford? There wasn't much of an air of positivity about Cook coming out of Wigan until the games after lock-down last season, the feeling among their fans was similar to that of Ivic in terms of the style of football.

Cook would have been a good choice for me but by that token I wouldn't immediately say Ivic would be a bad choice, just because he isn't a cheeky chappy scouser with a media personality.