The Council Coat of Arms

Was looking into old footie crests and I realised that, apart from the FA Cup Finals, we haven't worn the council's coat of arms as a badge whereas the pigs have. Why did they have those rights and we didn't? And Wednesdayites from the time did you feel alienated? Or that they represented Sheffield more?

9 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

It is not the Councils coat of Arms that was on Sheffield United shirt.

It was the Sheffield Coat of Arms.
They had to change it in the late 70s when the Council copy righted the coat of Arms.
The current Sheffield United badge was designed by Jimmy Sirrel the manager at the time. 

I stand corrected. But still. Why did they have the right to use it and we haven't thought of it? 

25 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Did the council not form united after we moved away from Bramall Lane to keep revenue coming in to the stadium?  That may explain it.  They are the council's team.

Last time we played at hillsborough was so long ago I can't remember.... We're we allowed out of leppings lane from the north? It's all a blur

3 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Did the council not form united after we moved away from Bramall Lane to keep revenue coming in to the stadium?  That may explain it.  They are the council's team.

get em out doing the BINS then  lol 

Edited by trevdi9
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, wednesdaywizard said:

And there's me thinking it was OUR Chairman who formed United to provide competition for us...just goes to show I'll never get anywhere wi' facts 😂

Did you know:

All owls in the UK are legal property of SWFC, just as swans are property of the crown. DC added significantly to his fortune by supplying owls for the Harry Potter films.

FACT1

SWFC took out copyright on all pictures and symbols of owls in 1867, hence United have never been allowed to have an owl on their badge no matter how much they wanted one.

FACT2

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sheffield United officially formed on 22 March 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield (now the site of the Crucible Theatre) by the President of the [Sheffield  United] Cricket Club, Sir Charles Clegg. The Wednesday had moved from Bramall Lane to their own ground at Olive Grove after a dispute over gate receipts and the tenants of Bramall Lane needed to create a new team to generate income. Sir Charles Clegg was incidentally also the president of The Wednesday.[4]

Wikipedia.

Never trust anyone called Clegg in Sheffield.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Sheffield United officially formed on 22 March 1889 at the Adelphi Hotel, Sheffield (now the site of the Crucible Theatre) by the President of the [Sheffield  United] Cricket Club, Sir Charles Clegg. The Wednesday had moved from Bramall Lane to their own ground at Olive Grove after a dispute over gate receipts and the tenants of Bramall Lane needed to create a new team to generate income. Sir Charles Clegg was incidentally also the president of The Wednesday.[4]

Wikipedia.

Never trust anyone called Clegg in Sheffield.

I want that bit in bold.

Sell up DC. 

Start fresh, new ground to escape the curse. Name it Olive Grove. The Wednesday.

Prem in 5 years.

Easy.

this thread is a f*cking comedy of errors.

"Why do the pigs use the council coat of arms" - they dont, they use the city CoA until the Council copyrighted it

"Why havent we ever used it" - we have

"I thought we invented the blunts"  - we didnt

f^ck sake - call yourself Wednesday fans!