Very Underwhelming To Say The Least

Paul Cook , has got all his last three clubs promoted, must be worth a shout 

we can’t carry on with the merry go round 

most owls fans are now under no illusions that we are anything but a poor championship side with no money to spend , so hopefully are not expecting anything above survival , that has to be our goal , then see where we go , but it will be years before challenging for promotion again , there is just to much wrong at the club and deep down we all know it 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, honest owl said:

Paul Cook , has got all his last three clubs promoted, must be worth a shout 

we can’t carry on with the merry go round 

most owls fans are now under no illusions that we are anything but a poor championship side with no money to spend , so hopefully are not expecting anything above survival , that has to be our goal , then see where we go , but it will be years before challenging for promotion again , there is just to much wrong at the club and deep down we all know it 

Of the names mooted, I wouldn’t look beyond Cook either. It’s the foreigners I fear, and the gamble that they would represent. We need a manager who knows us and knows this league.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Blue and white said:

3 clear favourites for manager.

1) Joey Barton 

2) Paul Cook

3) Neil Thompson

Fml, is this the level we have sunk to, the most appealing one there has been a manager in the lower leagues most his managerial career and achieved precisely fuckall hence why he has been a lower league manager.

Fink has drifted to 20-1 and  my enthusiasm has gone the same way.

What a time to be a Wednesday fan.

Wouldn’t read too much into it. Before pulis was appointed, Phil Neville and Sol Campbell were amongst the front runners. 

10 hours ago, snaykz said:

UEFA Cup qualification 

1 x Irish League Cup

2 x Irish FA Cups

2 x League Two Championships (1 with Chesterfield where he got them to the League One Playoffs the following season)

1 x League One Championship 

But yeah, despite having success at 4 different clubs, often under significant financial restrictions, Paul Cook’s not achieved owt...

:duntmatter:

The funny thing is though is the only thing relevant to the level we are at is his record of 1 x Championship relegation.

WTF:

• Like 1

A club who has been out of the top league for over 20 years, probably can't attract or demand the "big" names anymore.

I would like us to get a Manager and coaching team who can motivate and galvanise the squad/club. You don't have to be a big name to achieve the success.

I dont get why many are turning their nose up at Paul Cook.

If we were an established Premier League club we might be looking for a bigger name.

Think its more likely Paul Cook might be setting his sights higher than a club fighting relegation from the Championship and unlikely to have a lot of money to bring players in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blue and white said:

3 clear favourites for manager.

1) Joey Barton 

2) Paul Cook

3) Neil Thompson

Fml, is this the level we have sunk to, the most appealing one there has been a manager in the lower leagues most his managerial career and achieved precisely fuckall hence why he has been a lower league manager.

Fink has drifted to 20-1 and  my enthusiasm has gone the same way.

What a time to be a Wednesday fan.

as a club we are as appealing as Herpes. those names seem about right

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

The funny thing is though is the only thing relevant to the level we are at is his record of 1 x Championship relegation.

WTF:

Relegated due to a 12 point deduction which was given through no fault of Cook. Even then he very nearly kept them up despite having one of smallest budgets in the division. 

I’ve seen a few people on here trot out the same line you did. It’s one of the most disingenuous arguments you’ll see on Owlstalk in recent times. 

But you know that already. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Just a thought. Why was Carlos successful in the early years. 

How did he deal with DC? 

Was he a yes man? 

He had a philosophy of how he wanted to play during that first season and the transfer committee seemed to bring in players that managed to fit this mold such as Bannan, Hooper, Forestieri etc. It was really the second season when we started spunking mega money on has been wages and players that didn't fit the system where it all started to come undone I think. Obviously we can debate until the cows come home how much of that was down to Carlos.

2 hours ago, A12owl said:

Just a thought. Why was Carlos successful in the early years. 

How did he deal with DC? 

Was he a yes man? 

He knew the league..he'd seen us on't telly once.

What we need is someone who doesn't know the league and doesn't know chansiri.

59 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Bruce, Monk and Pulis were all favs.

Barton now evens..if he goes odds on, lump on 🙄

So were Poyet, Campbell, Cowley, Zola and I could go on. 

Under DC the time for worrying is when it’s announced.