Do you have a manager that you passionately believe should come?

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This sounds great until a player has an issue with team selection / tactics / training etc. and starts causing problems for the men they know full well won't be in contention for the manager's job.

We also need to get our recruitment spot on this time. We simply can't afford to waste more money on players who don't improve the first eleven, or who don't fit into the manager's plans, which is difficult to do when you don't have a manager.

Above, someone suggested Loovens for Manager, which i've suggested before myself only with half my tongue in my cheek.    

I think he would make a good addition.    If he was one of the additional coaches I mention, I think a calming head like him in the ranks would work wonders.      There are a lot of new faces since he left but he is still respected.

Anyone causing ructions in this situation is probably not worth persevering with long term anyway.

23 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Above, someone suggested Loovens for Manager, which i've suggested before myself only with half my tongue in my cheek.    

I think he would make a good addition.    If he was one of the additional coaches I mention, I think a calming head like him in the ranks would work wonders.      There are a lot of new faces since he left but he is still respected.

Anyone causing ructions in this situation is probably not worth persevering with long term anyway.

Maybe not, but in the short-term, we need to stay up. Players are much more likely to toe the line for a permanent manager than they are for a caretaker.

It's a bit like when a supply teacher steps into the breach for a while: the first few days they're everyone's best mate and spirits are high; then that gobby lass starts to kick off, he doesn't know how to handle her, and a few badly-chosen words later, the whole thing comes crashing down around his ears. By the end of the week, he's had to call the assistant head in to read them the riot act.

:duntmatter:

I'd much rather have a permanent manager in place so that the players know where they stand; those offered new contracts know who they're likely to be playing for (barring another Pulis-style fiasco); and the recruitment team have what should be their most vital cog present to set the parameters of the whole process.

Neil Thompson

Given the situation we're in, the fragile nature of the squad (both physically and mentally) and Chansiri's 'eccentricities', appointing someone from outside who will inevitably want to change things and take time getting up to speed Carrie's with it the risk of failure.

The current team, whilst not playing well have proved (by current league position) they are good enough to stay up - despite having the disruption of 3 different managers. I think Thompson could get us to ~18th by season's end relatively easily.

My hope is that Chansiri reassess his approach to owning us and appoints an experienced CEO, who is then able to assist in appointing a long term manager in the summer.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Good post, but if we do find ourselves needing to look to a British coach to work with and improve the players, not many spring to mind. Perhaps only the coaches at Brighton and Swansea spring to mind. 
I hope, as we’ve seen with the young players in recent years, that eventually good young British coaches start to come through. Maybe, as we get used to player recruitment being taken over by recruitment teams, managers/coaches will spend more time on the training ground. At the moment though, our best hope of finding a coach to carry that out, remains going the overseas route. Maybe then we can bring in one of the brightest young British coaches to work within that set up. Can remember reading an article about Paul Hurst, and how he was considered one of the brightest young coaches in Europe. Certainly he had achieved the highest coaching qualifications, and there was talk of integrating him into the England set up. He is now managing Grimsby, following the departure of Holloway, after spending time on the continent studying different methods. It’s true to say that his managerial career to date, has not been a success, and maybe he is not managerial material, I don’t know. He did seem to have some good ideas though, and bringing someone like him into a set up similar to Hasenhuttl’s at Southampton, might be the making of him

I think the outline we both agree on is the only way. Foreign coaches in this mould are going to be difficult. They either do not qualify under immigration rules or if they have been a success will be heading to PL or Championship team with parachute payments. Also think Northern Europe is safer option than Southern Europe. With one or two notable exceptions they do not do well.

I honestly do not know enough about young coaches who are making way in the game at the moment. If you are looking for this type of manager it is inevitable it will be someone from lower leagues. The only other way is to look at coaching staff of top clubs and see if anyone can do a job for you. Many of these are foreign and honestly do not know how they would stand about applying for a managers role even though in country. 

Gerard's assistant at Rangers was a very astute choice. He selected him from Liverpool's Academy and had previously worked for Chelsea. I forget his name but articles on line about him. Think Gerard also shows up in good light as he recognised his strength and weaknesses and got this guy to fill gap.

I did think Wednesday should follow Derby's example and get some bright young individuals on coaching staff. Liam Rosenior made good impression on Sky as analyst went to derby and was well down pecking order. Since Coco was sacked working as Rooney assistant . I was told by Derby supporting friend that Rosenior doing all the work. I already indicated if we are going left field he would be worth looking at. Also Ben Wilkinson was pinched from our Academy by Manchester City to work as assistant manager for U/23s. Is it worth bringing somebody like this into first team coaching set up I assumed he has learned something working with PG. At moment Bullen is coaching 2nd team (u/23s). Think we all know except him he has no future as a manager would we not be better giving young promising coach a chance to blossom. They could then be promoted. I understand Thompson is sound coach and good yo learn ropes from he was tutoring others when Jones and Gray were in charge. The other way is old stager like Stuart Gray with young gun at his side which may work. Their is young chap at Harrogate Town who has done really well but not ready for this bear pit.

I think would go for Paul Cook and have Ben Wilkinson on his coaching team. I would put Thompson in charge of U/23s and get another bright young coach to work with him  I do not know who Cook usually has to work with him so may be possible

We have got into difficult situation and an owner who has little understanding of football does not help.

1 hour ago, Lime Tree Heros said:

Neil Thompson

Given the situation we're in, the fragile nature of the squad (both physically and mentally) and Chansiri's 'eccentricities', appointing someone from outside who will inevitably want to change things and take time getting up to speed Carrie's with it the risk of failure.

The current team, whilst not playing well have proved (by current league position) they are good enough to stay up - despite having the disruption of 3 different managers. I think Thompson could get us to ~18th by season's end relatively easily.

My hope is that Chansiri reassess his approach to owning us and appoints an experienced CEO, who is then able to assist in appointing a long term manager in the summer.

Based on our past history with player and manager recruitment I don’t believe we have the in- house ability to bring in a new manager in the Summer, extend current contracts where appropriate and buy/loan a bag full of players to replace those that have not renewed or simply let their contract expire and left.

It’s an easy route to let Thompson continue as caretaker until the end of the season but in practical terms it would almost be suicidal as it would leave us with a monumental summer recruitment drive which would probably fall well short of the fans expectations.

No. Feel more apathetic about this every time, didn't care too much when Monk got it, even less with Pulis and now it feels like an irrelevance in that Chansiri isn't  the right owner to drive us forward. We're basically hoping he gets lucky and he hasn't with £350m so far. 

• Like 1

GK coach, yes (sorry!) Manager, no. It's easier to name who I DON'T want, actually. Any of those dinosaurs from the British Manager's Lunch Club for a start, we just got rid of one.

Ferguson won't leave Everton. He's been there since Martinez and outlasted 4 managers.

No.

It's become an irrelevance who we get in. As long as this useless, interfering, narcissistic c _ _ t is the owner we're going nowhere except League 1 followed by League 2.

No decent manager will work for him. 

Any manager that comes will soon realise the massive error they've made coming here.

Any up and coming manager wouldn't risk their career being set back by working for that idiot.

What we need first is for Chansiri to get in the Sea.