Do you have a manager that you passionately believe should come?

Not really. Not because of the caliber of those mentioned, nor due to chairman but more so the balance of squad at the moment. 

Until we’ve cleared the decks of the overpaid, hardly played brigade and got the finances back under control I’m not sure what any manager can do. 

As weird as it sounds, since Carlos left the only one that I bought into the ideas of (not the application though) was Jos. Others seemingly want to spend their way out of our issues which doesn’t help. So until we’re rid of Westwood, JvA and Rhodes and even players that contribute more such as Lees, Bannan and Reach. I just can’t see how you can put together a squad that is competitive and stay within FFP guidelines otherwise.

We just can’t afford to have four or five players (no matter how good they are) earning more than 20k per week without it effecting the quality of those around them.  

The club has seemingly learnt their lesson. But it’s not a quick solution. Iorfa, Borner, Luongo are all good examples of low cost fees, lower salaries but very competent players. We need 15/17 of that quality. But for every Rhodes, you’re forced to have a Joey P or worse. I don’t mean that as disrespectful to Joey, as pound for pound he’s better value than most around him. 

7 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

No, and that has been the way since Carlos left.  During his first couple of seasons he seemed the perfect fit not had that feeling with others managers we have had since.

All other potential managers none have really jumped out to me as yes we must get him on board.  Most of the UK based managers come across as uninspiring with nothing new to offer.

The club needs a manager who is flamboyant and can back it up with results and bring some positiveness to the club, just have no idea who that could be.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Not totally convinced with anyone because let’s face it with the way we are run, it’s going to take a special personality and I think that’s what we need to get everyone Chairman, Players and Fans all on aboard the Wednesday Train.

That’s why Carlos worked, he had that enthusiasm and charisma that went a long way to lifting the entire place to a level it hadn’t been for a very long time. It only really started to go totally wrong when he was totally swayed by the methodical methods that had made the likes of Bruce, Warnock and Pulis successful in the past. I think he started to doubt if the brilliant football he had us playing in that first season could sustainably win us promotion and the play-off final debacle was the start of that.

I’d like us to try to get someone who has the playing gravitas of a Lampard or a Gerrard to try and lift the entire place even though it would undoubtedly be a gamble. For now I think sticking with Thompson provides our best chance of survival this season. Hopefully come the summer things will look a lot brighter.

Great posts ^^

6 hours ago, Feelthepayne said:

Only man is Pearson, Job is made for him, but he just won’t do it

In these circumstances Pearson would be just like Pulis, a total disaster. Apart from having the fans already onboard due to his legacy (which you could argue we wouldn’t even feel the full benefit of as still no fans allowed). How is he any different to Pulis? Similar style, similar mentality, similar tactics and would not hold back going at it with Chansiri which we know doesn’t end well for anyone. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Pearson at some point in the future when we’re in a good place but not now, not yet. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest wilyfox

I’ve no preference. Wanted Pearson but don’t think that would happen. If it did, I could see the Pearson/Chansiri working relationship being even more volatile than Pulis/Chansiri.

Guest Andy W
6 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

This.

Any manager will struggle with our current squad, but there are some managers who would be absolutely suicidal for us.

We just got rid of 2 of those

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Does anyone have a manager that they absolutely passionately definitely want?

I'm not talking about who you think you'd like

I'm talking about a manager who you absolutely completely believe is the man. The one that we should 100% get, and that you passionately believe with every ounce of your body should be the one we commit our future as a football club to?

Me? Nah not really. 

I've not seen anyone else screaming out like mad for someone either

Is that a sign that there is nobody out there who's a definite must-have manager?

Are all managers 'much of a muchness' these days and similarly bland and uninspiring?

Or are you not getting your hopes up only to be scuppered by Chansiri pulling some old Michael Gove style geezer out of retirement from his golf course and giving him a couple of million quid to come for a few months?

What about you?

Do you actually have someone who you totally passionately believe should be our man?

JC and his dad.

Within the working restrictions imposed by managing/coaching under Chansiri, I'm not sure I'd like my favourite managers to come in, because it'd be like managing a team with one arm bound behind their back and I don't want managers I like to come in and just fail because they're not allowed to manage the club as they wish.

if we dont poach someone (and we usually dont ) then we'll get someone who's unemployed and they'd more than likely just be coming for a job rather than any great ambition and theres a whole host of them out there looking for a post ...........i'd like us just for once  to try  someone who's doing well lower down the scale like artell at crewe .had some success and seems to get crewe playing with a bit of style .......tisdale at bristol rovers  is another whos always impressed me .......finally and while hes a bit long in the tooth coleman from accrington .....got to be better to take a punt on managers  like them than someone off the merry go round like we usually do .

Personally I would put off recruiting a manager until the end of the season but invest in a couple of coaches to keep things ticking over.

Nothing can be done in our current predicament other than to make the wrong choice, everything seems so hectic.

The senior coaches at the club should make selection choices between them, taking focus off individuals to get results and guarantee them a job when a manager is appointed but make them know that they won't be in contention.     This allows Thompson and Bullen to just keep things ticking over without being under the spotlight and with reduced pressure on them.

4 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Personally I would put off recruiting a manager until the end of the season but invest in a couple of coaches to keep things ticking over.

Nothing can be done in our current predicament other than to make the wrong choice, everything seems so hectic.

The senior coaches at the club should make selection choices between them, taking focus off individuals to get results and guarantee them a job when a manager is appointed but make them know that they won't be in contention.     This allows Thompson and Bullen to just keep things ticking over without being under the spotlight and with reduced pressure on them.

This sounds great until a player has an issue with team selection / tactics / training etc. and starts causing problems for the men they know full well won't be in contention for the manager's job.

We also need to get our recruitment spot on this time. We simply can't afford to waste more money on players who don't improve the first eleven, or who don't fit into the manager's plans, which is difficult to do when you don't have a manager.