Do you have a manager that you passionately believe should come?

4 hours ago, Feelthepayne said:

Only man is Pearson, Job is made for him, but he just won’t do it

Agree.

Think that Pearson would come in and transform this club and succeed. I however also think he would take it. You cant ever see Chansiri giving it him as he knows he's do it his way not the way Chansiri wants.

For the first time in over 40 years I frankly dont give a throw who is appointed as our next manager.

Most clubs that are successful appoint a proven quality manager with a consistent track record of achievements at previous clubs. That manager  is given a few transfer windows and backed to the hilt to implement their style of play and philosophy in order to bring about positive results on the pitch.

While we are being run by Dej Boy and his advisers with all the associated incompetence / phuckwittery on public display there is absolutely no chance of anybody half decent or indeed promising wanting to come within a million miles of the managers hotseat at Hillsborough.

It will be either somebody from the dregs of the managerial barrel or a Carlos Carlos type from overseas who most people have never heard of and willing to dance along to Chansiri's tune.

Either way, dont expect anbody  that will get us moving in the right direction.

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

What we need is a manager who is passionate about Sheffield Wednesday. We don't need a manager who is only in it for the money. 

There are probably only 2 such people. 

Megson and Pearson. 

Possibly Nielson and Louvens but I'm not sure how deep the passion for the club goes. 

Same old question then arises. Can they work with DC? 

Same old answer. Probably not with his current attitude. 

John Pearson? Not sure about Nigel being passionate about us 

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Does anyone have a manager that they absolutely passionately definitely want?

I'm not talking about who you think you'd like

I'm talking about a manager who you absolutely completely believe is the man. The one that we should 100% get, and that you passionately believe with every ounce of your body should be the one we commit our future as a football club to?

I mean given a free hand I would love to have a manager like Klopp - someone who is a) committed to positive, attacking football (which doesn't always mean death by 1,000 passes), b) is charismatic, a little manipulative even, and can get the fans and the media dancing to his tune and c) while integrating good signings is also prepared to bring youth players through, and d) obviously they need to be successful at the same time.

Obviously he's not an option. So I don't know who that person is. The only manager I can think of who came close to that description in my time at Hillsboro was Big Ron. I don't know if Wagner would be worth a shout as a pound-shop Klopp (but without the charisma). Or even whether it is worth sounding out Milner about his plans for next season - he must have learned a lot under Klopp and stands out as a really intelligent footballer who has made the absolute most of his talent. I'd back him to become a better manager than Lampard or Gerrard if he is interested in going down that route.

Other than that, I do like Cook's record of success at a lower level. But don't know enough to give him the double thumbs up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, A12owl said:

What we need is a manager who is passionate about Sheffield Wednesday. We don't need a manager who is only in it for the money. 

There are probably only 2 such people. 

Megson and Pearson. 

Possibly Nielson and Louvens but I'm not sure how deep the passion for the club goes. 

Same old question then arises. Can they work with DC? 

Same old answer. Probably not with his current attitude. 

We really have to avoid another appointment like Megson. Don’t let the faux passion for the club sway you, his out of date ideas have no place in modern football, as we’ve just seen with Pulis. Balling and screaming at players doesn’t improve their footballing ability. 
Someone like Hasenhuttl, he has passion for the job he does, but he channels it in the right way. In fact, I’d love Wednesday to appoint a manager like that, but as someone pointed out last night, we don’t have the infrastructure in place to make it work. However, he has everything I’d be looking for in a coach, passionate, belief in what he does, tactical prowess, working to improve his players while getting them to buy into his methods through repetition, encouragement and praise. In fact, Southampton are an excellent role model. Good housekeeping, excellent recruitment, and a well established academy system. Sigh........if only

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The situation is difficult.

We have made some alarmingly bad choices as managers. Only one (CC) had funding sufficient to make team be able to compete in league. Since then every manager has been hamstrung with aging over paid players. 

Bruce could have done a job others have not either had know how or common sense to be able to do what is required.

What is required is a manger who is prepared to build a team basically from scratch and work with young and bargain basement players. This rules out many fancy names. To get out of present situation a good defence is essential this is not to say do not attack. To play all out attacking football is impossible with squad we have. The team also lacks enough energetic players to play real high tempo football so think fans will have to endure some more not so exciting football for rest of this season at least.  

With new rules following Brexit bringing a foreign coach is more difficult in particular they are unlikely to be able to bring assistants with them as qualifications now high. I do not think either Baltazhar or Morais would satisfy new rules as manager. As neither have had 36 months as a manager in last 5 years.

Before Jos was appointed I think it was at this point I suggested Hassenhutl who had resigned at Leipzig as someone who would suit the club. He is a team builder and puts strategy in place to achieve this. I know their is no hope of him coming here but we need someone with this type of philosophy. I thought Cowley was this type but now I am not so sure. Cook has done well with opportunities he has had and Wednesday would be first real chance he had if left alone to see if he could build a team with potential to challenge top level. The 4-2-3-1 style he plays is an effective formation which can be both defensive and attacking. Personally al I want us to do at this stage is win games I do not mind how they are achieved.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quist said:

The situation is difficult.

We have made some alarmingly bad choices as managers. Only one (CC) had funding sufficient to make team be able to compete in league. Since then every manager has been hamstrung with aging over paid players. 

Bruce could have done a job others have not either had know how or common sense to be able to do what is required.

What is required is a manger who is prepared to build a team basically from scratch and work with young and bargain basement players. This rules out many fancy names. To get out of present situation a good defence is essential this is not to say do not attack. To play all out attacking football is impossible with squad we have. The team also lacks enough energetic players to play real high tempo football so think fans will have to endure some more not so exciting football for rest of this season at least.  

With new rules following Brexit bringing a foreign coach is more difficult in particular they are unlikely to be able to bring assistants with them as qualifications now high. I do not think either Baltazhar or Morais would satisfy new rules as manager. As neither have had 36 months as a manager in last 5 years.

Before Jos was appointed I think it was at this point I suggested Hassenhutl who had resigned at Leipzig as someone who would suit the club. He is a team builder and puts strategy in place to achieve this. I know their is no hope of him coming here but we need someone with this type of philosophy. I thought Cowley was this type but now I am not so sure. Cook has done well with opportunities he has had and Wednesday would be first real chance he had if left alone to see if he could build a team with potential to challenge top level. The 4-2-3-1 style he plays is an effective formation which can be both defensive and attacking. Personally al I want us to do at this stage is win games I do not mind how they are achieved.

Good post, but if we do find ourselves needing to look to a British coach to work with and improve the players, not many spring to mind. Perhaps only the coaches at Brighton and Swansea spring to mind. 
I hope, as we’ve seen with the young players in recent years, that eventually good young British coaches start to come through. Maybe, as we get used to player recruitment being taken over by recruitment teams, managers/coaches will spend more time on the training ground. At the moment though, our best hope of finding a coach to carry that out, remains going the overseas route. Maybe then we can bring in one of the brightest young British coaches to work within that set up. Can remember reading an article about Paul Hurst, and how he was considered one of the brightest young coaches in Europe. Certainly he had achieved the highest coaching qualifications, and there was talk of integrating him into the England set up. He is now managing Grimsby, following the departure of Holloway, after spending time on the continent studying different methods. It’s true to say that his managerial career to date, has not been a success, and maybe he is not managerial material, I don’t know. He did seem to have some good ideas though, and bringing someone like him into a set up similar to Hasenhuttl’s at Southampton, might be the making of him

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Does anyone have a manager that they absolutely passionately definitely want?

I'm not talking about who you think you'd like

I'm talking about a manager who you absolutely completely believe is the man. The one that we should 100% get, and that you passionately believe with every ounce of your body should be the one we commit our future as a football club to?

Me? Nah not really. 

I've not seen anyone else screaming out like mad for someone either

Is that a sign that there is nobody out there who's a definite must-have manager?

Are all managers 'much of a muchness' these days and similarly bland and uninspiring?

Or are you not getting your hopes up only to be scuppered by Chansiri pulling some old Michael Gove style geezer out of retirement from his golf course and giving him a couple of million quid to come for a few months?

What about you?

Do you actually have someone who you totally passionately believe should be our man?

I think that most of us have come to the conclusion that we're not an attractive pull any more, we've accepted the fact that there is'nt a queue of quality coaches/managers lining up to take on the job (contrary to what some may say).

It's pot luck time, will we win the lottery this time? I'm close to not caring..........only close though.

• Like 1

Tough question posed in the OP. It’s tough for me because it makes me question where I think the club is heading more than saying a lot about the nature of the potential managers. 
I have always passionately believed that Pearson should manage Sheffield Wednesday.

Right back to when he first started assistant managing along side Bryan Robson I thought that was that start of a journey that would lead to him managing us. 
He was linked to us in 2006 and has been linked every time either he’s left a job or we’ve had a vacancy ever since!

I still think if he’d been here instead of Carlos we’d have gone up. No evidence of course just think it’s true that Pearson with that budget would have made us good enough to push on in the season after the playoff final.

Anyway, I think he’s an excellent manager. Eccentric in the extreme, but a big personality.

Which is where it all falls down. Now I’m asked the question I think, actually, if he came here now it would be a disaster. Pearson would probably be gone quicker than Pulis. It would be heartbreaking really. 

The club is such a toxic place to come I don’t actually want my first choice as manager to come because once he left there would be little hope remaining. We need a manager without a big personality to survive here (or one who’s personality is a distraction from the fact he just says ‘yes’ behind the scenes).

What a shame.