Paco Jemez

So... been looking into this guy a bit more. He's got a reputation in Spain as being one of the bravest managers in the league - i.e. happy to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona and push players forward and play out from the back:

Throughout his time with Rayo Vallecano,  Jémez has installed a concept known as Juego de Posicion. The best thing about Rayo Vallecano is no matter the opponent, their style of play doesn't change. As a result of playing to win every time, very little Rayo Vallecano matches end in a draw. Over the last three completed season, Rayo have either had the least or second least draws in La Liga. This has led to a number of drubbings, including a 10-2 loss against Real Madrid and a 5-2 loss to Barcelona but both of those games involved Rayo taking an early lead through their proactive nature. - https://statsbomb.com/2016/02/the-fascinating-nature-of-paco-jemez/

Whether it has been successful... well. He's had a lot of jobs, put it that way. 8 clubs, and only one of those he's gone beyond 50 games. That club was Rayo Vallecano, where with one of the smallest budgets in the league he finished 8th, 12th, 11th and 18th (out of 20). The main thing that stands out is the fantastic amount of goals his teams concede, when finishing 8th they conceded 66 (third most in league), 12th = 80 (most in league), 11th = 68 (joint most in league), 18th = 73 (second most in league).

They didn't actually seem to score that many goals in those seasons - it seems like he wins some, doesn't draw many and loses some (and when he loses he loses by a lot).

He then went back to Rayo Vallacano in March 2019. They were rock bottom, with 23 points from 28 games - and despite inspiring them to wins over Real Madrid and Valencia, he couldn't save them - in truth, they lost all the games against relegation rivals, picking up just 9 points from 10 games. He took charge of the next season in the Spanish Second Division and, going against his previous record of not drawing many, he drew a lot of games - 21 out of 42, finishing 7th, a point outside the playoffs.

Character-wise, he's mates with Pep Guardiola, and in a very similar style, shaved head, snazzy trainers, lots of histrionics on the touchline. Seems cheerful and energetic in interviews, except for after the game, where, like Pep, he often looks like someone has just drowned his puppy.

What does all this mean? I think he would have been an interesting guy to bring in a season or two back, given a pre-season and chance to attack the league. I'm not sure how he would adapt to English football though (or if he even speaks English).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

And as for this high-possession, play out from the back, Man City style of play. I'm not even sure how you would begin to play like that with our current squad? I can't see how you pick Lees, Dunkley, Pelupessy, Paterson, etc in that kind of team.

Going off the Man City 4-3-3, and assuming we resigned Sam Hutchinson as rumoured, I guess it could be something like this:

.........................................Westwood........................................

.Odubajo..............Shaw.................Hutchinson...........Penney..

..................Hunt................Luongo...........Bannan.....................

..Kachunga........................Harris..................................Reach..

FDB could also probably play this way. Or Windass through the middle?

Guess we would need to sign a lot of new players to play this style....

4 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

So... been looking into this guy a bit more. He's got a reputation in Spain as being one of the bravest managers in the league - i.e. happy to go to Real Madrid or Barcelona and push players forward and play out from the back:

Whether it has been successful... well. He's had a lot of jobs, put it that way. 8 clubs, and only one of those he's gone beyond 50 games. That club was Rayo Vallecano, where with one of the smallest budgets in the league he finished 8th, 12th, 11th and 18th (out of 20). The main thing that stands out is the fantastic amount of goals his teams concede, when finishing 8th they conceded 66 (third most in league), 12th = 80 (most in league), 11th = 68 (joint most in league), 18th = 73 (second most in league).

They didn't actually seem to score that many goals in those seasons - it seems like he wins some, doesn't draw many and loses some (and when he loses he loses by a lot).

He then went back to Rayo Vallacano in March 2019. They were rock bottom, with 23 points from 28 games - and despite inspiring them to wins over Real Madrid and Valencia, he couldn't save them - in truth, they lost all the games against relegation rivals, picking up just 9 points from 10 games. He took charge of the next season in the Spanish Second Division and, going against his previous record of not drawing many, he drew a lot of games - 21 out of 42, finishing 7th, a point outside the playoffs.

Character-wise, he's mates with Pep Guardiola, and in a very similar style, shaved head, snazzy trainers, lots of histrionics on the touchline. Seems cheerful and energetic in interviews, except for after the game, where, like Pep, he often looks like someone has just drowned his puppy.

What does all this mean? I think he would have been an interesting guy to bring in a season or two back, given a pre-season and chance to attack the league. I'm not sure how he would adapt to English football though (or if he even speaks English).

Yes, because then we had attacking flair.

Even if we'd conceded a lot we might have scored even more.

A bit like in Carlos' first season.

Now that we're pants up front any hope of survival will be based on defence.

IMO it would be suicide to bring Paco in.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

To quote Dirty Harry...."marvelous"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

Good luck to him  telling Westwood we will be playing in that way and we will likely be conceding lots more goals . Probably the last words he will ever utter.

Pull up your comfiest armchair, make the popcorn, open a bottle, and settle back to watch Lees and Dunkley playing out from the back.

They’ll show repeats of it every Christmas Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Jemez is a very good coach. In his years with Rayo Vallecano he had to sell several key players in most transfer windows, yet kept them going. He also seems able to adjust his style, and knows he'd have to implement it gradually. I agree it is risky, but I'm also tired of the same old merry-go-round of journeymen managers we've had over the years. It's brought us nowhere. 

Carlos Carvalhal was probably the best manager we've had since Ron Atkinson, and he did a very good job at developing our players. Look at how he got Kieran Lee firing and how Barry Bannan improved under him. He was let down by poor recruitment. 

• Like 1

Just now, Shezza said:

Jemez is a very good coach. In his years with Rayo Vallecano he had to sell several key players in most transfer windows, yet kept them going. He also seems able to adjust his style, and knows he'd have to implement it gradually. I agree it is risky, but I'm also tired of the same old merry-go-round of journeymen managers we've had over the years. It's brought us nowhere. 

Carlos Carvalhal was probably the best manager we've had since Ron Atkinson, and he did a very good job at developing our players. Look at how he got Kieran Lee firing and how Barry Bannan improved under him. He was let down by poor recruitment. 

:tango:

7 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

And as for this high-possession, play out from the back, Man City style of play. I'm not even sure how you would begin to play like that with our current squad? I can't see how you pick Lees, Dunkley, Pelupessy, Paterson, etc in that kind of team.

Going off the Man City 4-3-3, and assuming we resigned Sam Hutchinson as rumoured, I guess it could be something like this:

.........................................Westwood........................................

.Odubajo..............Shaw.................Hutchinson...........Penney..

..................Hunt................Luongo...........Bannan.....................

..Kachunga........................Harris..................................Reach..

FDB could also probably play this way. Or Windass through the middle?

Guess we would need to sign a lot of new players to play this style....

Shaw isn’t a centre back and you’re leaving our best centre back out of the team.