SWFC Supporters' Trust Reports on Ticketing and Refunds

Guest Mcguigan
1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So you agree it is difficult to justify having the most expensive tickets in the country when the team is continually performing outside the top 12 and investment is decreasing.

Which is I think the main point of this. 

No, you’re a bit annoying.

I agreed a £40m wage bill was killing us.

8 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Surely this year (covid aside) will look better in the accounts, at least from a wage bill perspective? Got rid of some high earners and we can't be chucking as much at the current crop... can we? I think the acid test will be what the pricing is like when we come out the other side... would fans support maintaining ticket prices for the coming season as a one-off injection of revenue with promise of a reduction in ticket prices for 2022/23 commensurate with a lower wage bill?

yes the accounts should look better due to the reduction in the wage bill. The team looks no better though, and the on-field results reflect the decline in the team, despite the club telling us we continue to pay high prices as the continued push towards promotion at the same level of investment continues. 

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

No, you’re a bit annoying.

I agreed a £40m wage bill was killing us.

So having the most expensive tickets in the division in our current state is justifiable then? 

Guest Mcguigan
Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

yes the accounts should look better due to the reduction in the wage bill. The team looks no better though, and the on-field results reflect the decline in the team, despite the club telling us we continue to pay high prices as the continued push towards promotion at the same level of investment continues. 

Do you know when you buy a new sofa over four years, it doesn’t cost less per month in repayments the older it gets.

It costs the same every month until you’ve paid for it in full. We haven’t quite done that yet but we’re almost there.

Guest Mcguigan
2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

So having the most expensive tickets in the division in our current state is justifiable then? 

Oh s*it, time for a beer.

2 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Do you know when you buy a new sofa over four years, it doesn’t cost less per month in repayments the older it gets.

It costs the same every month until you’ve paid for it in full. We haven’t quite done that yet but we’re almost there.

We paid transfer fees for players and brought in good players in the first two years. Just because we are still paying for the declining years of some of their contracts now doesn't mean investment has remained the same does it? 

3 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Oh s*it, time for a beer.

Great diversion!

It either is justifiable or it isn't, that's the crux of the debate, how the club justifies us having more expensive tickets than everyone else. What do you think?

Guest Mcguigan
17 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Great diversion!

It either is justifiable or it isn't, that's the crux of the debate, how the club justifies us having more expensive tickets than everyone else. What do you think?

1) Do you think we'd increase our revenue if we reduced our ticket prices? 

2) Do you think we'd increase our current average attendance if we reduced our ticket prices? 

1 minute ago, Mcguigan said:

1) Do you think we'd increase our revenue if we reduced our ticket prices? 

2) Do you think we'd increase our current average attendance if we reduced our ticket prices? 

You have not answered my question but instead choose to ask 2 of your own!

1. We have been told by the owner that our money pays for nothing so reducing income should not be a major factor. I do not think reducing ticket prices a bit will have a huge negative impact on income and in the long run is likely to lead to us having more supporters in the ground which must be a good thing.

2. In the long term, yes, I think we have lost some supporters as a direct result of our pricing strategy. Positive football and positive results will always been the main factor though.

So back to my question.

Do you think a club that is in decline and is finishing outside the top 12 on a regular basis is justified in charging the highest prices in the division? 

Proper moaning about ticket prices should have been when we were good/competitive.

But on the whole not many gave a shyte about the 'priced out fans'...buy a season ticket, it's not that bad was the general argument.

Twas all about, you have to pay to go up..many many arguments about it.

You cannot later say..cos we are now crap prices need to be cheaper..all eggs went in one basket. And thus completely foooked.

At the time a few said, prices should be really cheap, the owner is minted..sell cheap fill the ground..the extra man scenario, i was one of em.

Then FFP came into the headlights and I admit knew very little about.

When explained, the realisation was the club needs as much revenue as possible to circumvent that problem.

The rest is history, poor management, poor transfer dealings, poor leadership etc etc.

Poor gambling in a nutshell.

But like I said, very few gave a shyte about the prices when the going was good, yep I'm alright jack was the theme.

Although season tickets are expensive, comparitively POG was and still is extortionate.

Hence next to none when poor football.

Once prices have been set, nothing much you can do in the short term...vicious circle that ought to have been realised before the shyte hit the fan....pun intended.

• Like 4

Guest Mcguigan
11 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You have not answered my question but instead choose to ask 2 of your own!

1. We have been told by the owner that our money pays for nothing so reducing income should not be a major factor. I do not think reducing ticket prices a bit will have a huge negative impact on income and in the long run is likely to lead to us having more supporters in the ground which must be a good thing.

2. In the long term, yes, I think we have lost some supporters as a direct result of our pricing strategy. Positive football and positive results will always been the main factor though.

So back to my question.

Do you think a club that is in decline and is finishing outside the top 12 on a regular basis is justified in charging the highest prices in the division? 

Think I answered that with my sofa analogy, maybe a bit too subtle.

Well let’s look at when we had some of the lowest prices outside the top flight, in MM’s final season.

We finished 16th in the Championship with an average attendance of 21,274 and an income of £13.8m

19 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Proper moaning about ticket prices should have been when we were good/competitive.

But on the whole not many gave a shyte about the 'priced out fans'...buy a season ticket, it's not that bad was the general argument.

Twas all about, you have to pay to go up..many many arguments about it.

You cannot later say..cos we are now crap prices need to be cheaper..all eggs went in one basket. And thus completely foooked.

At the time a few said, prices should be really cheap, the owner is minted..sell cheap fill the ground..the extra man scenario, i was one of em.

Then FFP came into the headlights and I admit knew very little about.

When explained, the realisation was the club needs as much revenue as possible to circumvent that problem.

The rest is history, poor management, poor transfer dealings, poor leadership etc etc.

Poor gambling in a nutshell.

But like I said, very few gave a shyte about the prices when the going was good, yep I'm alright jack was the theme.

Although season tickets are expensive, comparitively POG was and still is extortionate.

Hence next to none when poor football.

Once prices have been set, nothing much you can do in the short term...vicious circle that ought to have been realised before the shyte hit the fan....pun intended.

'If you can't afford it, don't go'.

'It's not a right to go to a match'.

Or somert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Think I answered that with my sofa analogy, maybe a bit too subtle.

Well let’s look at when we had some of the lowest prices outside the top flight, in MM’s final season.

We finished 16th in the Championship with an average attendance of 21,274 and an income of £13.8m

In Milan's last season we finished 13th, Chansiri didn't take over until after halfway through the season.

We will do well to finish 13th this season and have only finished above that once in the last 3 seasons - 12th place 2 seasons ago. 

Our average attendance last season was 23,7,33, the season before that was 24,429 - our attendances were on the way back to the days of before Chansiri due to the decline in what the club are putting out. 

Why are we paying the highest prices in the division for this? 

As our economics teacher would have said "DC is exploiting the elasticity of the demand curve"

In other words, the game of football is vital to football fans who will often pay over the odds to get their "fix".

Additionally, football fans (i.e. people who actually attend games) are tribal and are therefore very loyal to their brand. You won't get many Wednesday fans popping down the Lane to watch their footy and vice versa.

So, DC's strategy is to maximise his revenue from the core supporters. In doing so, he is pricing out the fringe supporter and the potential new supporter, both of whom could become tomorrow's core supporters.

He also risks damaging the brand which then undermines the value that the core fans appreciate and support.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Mcguigan
6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

In Milan's last season we finished 13th, Chansiri didn't take over until after halfway through the season.

We will do well to finish 13th this season and have only finished above that once in the last 3 seasons - 12th place 2 seasons ago. 

Our average attendance last season was 23,7,33, the season before that was 24,429 - our attendances were on the way back to the days of before Chansiri due to the decline in what the club are putting out. 

Why are we paying the highest prices in the division for this? 

Sorry pal, you just don’t get it and it’s too late in the day to debate with you.

Ive still a week off from tomorrow so will be able to put more meat on your bones.

Guest Grandad
2 hours ago, dowls said:

Will you be praising their sale of St Andrews ? 

The irony of you claiming there's an agenda in this thread 😂😂😂

Just now, Mcguigan said:

Sorry pal, you just don’t get it and it’s too late in the day to debate with you.

Ive still a week off from tomorrow so will be able to put more meat on your bones.

No need for analogies, just answer the simple question - are the club justified in charging us the most expensive prices in the division? Yes o No?

Bear in mind we have been informed our money covers nothing and other clubs are successful and don't fall into points deductions yet manage to charge less, pay refunds and offer better incentives and refunds than us on 2020/21 tickets that haven't been used.

3 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

I don't get why we need to charge more than everyone else when we are failing no. If it is because we are in big financial trouble then that is not our fault. 

DC gambled and failed. I had no influence in any decision made by SWFC.

Why then am I and other Wednesdayites paying top dollar to fund DCs failed gamble and continued mis-management.

When I’ve been milked dry, who will take my place?

• Like 1
  • Love 1