SWFC Supporters' Trust Reports on Ticketing and Refunds

7 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

I don't see anyone defending him, think all agree he's made a bollloxe of it.

More the point, plan A went apshyte and now some think it's not fair we pay top prices...while when the future looked bright many didn't give a foook how much it cost...more season ticket holders than any time in our history.

Ha, not that old chestnut we have been crap for the vast majority of our history, so have the pigs...support stays the same.

It’s £50 or £75 for a children season ticket so just over £2 a game or £3.26 a game for the next generation.

I have seen zero support for Chansiri accept people pointing out facts and figures to counter the opinions of the trust.

I have seen plenty of opinion criticising Chansiri though, with figures quoted based on estimates only.. “best guesses”

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Some real hard work and laudible effort seems to have gone into producing these reports. However the cynic in me screams " they are wasting their time".

Our owner is basically like the dictator of a tin pot banana republic and doesnt listen to reason or rational arguments and will basically keep on doing things his way until by some miracle he succeeds or runs out of money. I believe the 2nd option is the more likely outcome. It will be interesting to see what crowds will be down at S6 once people are allowed back in the ground.

Surely the trust would be better off focusing their efforts on preparing for that outcome or finding a way to get Dej Boy Trotter out of our club.

Reports well meaning,but meaningless..(because it wasn't commissioned,& will be used at best for toilet paper).....It is however potentially useful as a way to raise the profile of the supporters dissatisfaction,and maybe cause embarrassing Q to be asked publicly by the media...IF its put out there...

Chairman & his advisors wont pay it any heed,they are paddling their own canoe........

2 hours ago, Musn't Grumble said:

As our economics teacher would have said "DC is exploiting the elasticity of the demand curve"

In other words, the game of football is vital to football fans who will often pay over the odds to get their "fix".

Additionally, football fans (i.e. people who actually attend games) are tribal and are therefore very loyal to their brand. You won't get many Wednesday fans popping down the Lane to watch their footy and vice versa.

So, DC's strategy is to maximise his revenue from the core supporters. In doing so, he is pricing out the fringe supporter and the potential new supporter, both of whom could become tomorrow's core supporters.

He also risks damaging the brand which then undermines the value that the core fans appreciate and support.

I do agree but didn't DC day we were customers not fans. 😁😁😁😁

1 hour ago, Mcguigan said:

Did that lot up the road feel justified paying the same prices as us well before we were?

Did we feel justified paying these prices watching the squad we’d assembled reaching the play offs twice?

Now because it’s turned to crap you’re questioning the validity of the pricing whilst we’re still paying for the privilege.

From next season our financial worries should be over. We can go back to no investment in the squad, low wage bills and no increase in attendances but everything will be fine because tickets are cheap.

Dear God I was watching my team competing for the league, the cup and playing in Europe and I definitely was not paying the highest prices in the league.

Dave Richards brought us all this and he is slagged off. Can you think how they will think of, DC in a few years for one second division play off final and 4 years and counting of crap that could yet end in relegation.

The big earners could be gone next year, but DC mismanagement of the club won't be. How much are we wasting on not 1 not 2 but possible 3 lots of management teams in a season. Got to be a few more million wasted there, presumably this will end up being the fans fault too.

• Like 2

Just now, room0035 said:

Dear God I was watching my team competing for the league, the cup and playing in Europe and I definitely was not paying the highest prices in the league.

Dave Richards brought us all this and he is slagged off. Can you think how they will think of, DC in a few years for one second division play off final and 4 years and counting of crap that could yet end in relegation.

The big earners could be gone next year, but DC mismanagement of the club won't be. How much are we wasting on not 1 not 2 but possible 3 lots of management teams in a season. Got to be a few more million wasted there, presumably this will end up being the fans fault too.

United fans love that we have Chansiri

They love it when he does mad stuff

United fans mock us for having our chairman 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We now mock them for having less points than a triangle.😁😂

And when they go down there new assets stripping chairman will sell any player with value then be off. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I do agree but didn't DC day we were customers not fans. 😁😁😁😁

Clearly, the way he engages with the fan community suggests that DC is correct to some degree but I don't see Tesco, ASDA, Aldi, SCS, etc., etc. failing to honour refunds to their customers if the supply, service or product is in breach of contract.

These "reports" to be fair are  big load of meh and the cheek that it is presented (and I quote) as a "research paper", this will pander to some, but its more like a school essay. I'm sure you have got permission from the copyright holder for the image that you have used on the first page? These tend to be considerations that are made when publishing a "research paper".

Knocked up in a few days of googling, its also interesting how selective they are. They compare one point with club a and b, then another point they compare with club c.

Load of rounduns if you ask me and as loaded as a loaded gun that is loaded with a massive load.

Oh and without any references to the source of the information its pointless as "research", generally "research papers" tend to read include sources so the reader can cross reference and make up their own minds.

I still have the minutes from a previous supporters group meeting that I attended many years ago (with some others on here). I recall the leader of the owlstrust (I think it was called then) referring to people who use the internet as "anoraks" and announcing that "e mail is a passing fad".

If you're not careful you'll end up going down that path.

Paah "research paper"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"It is worth remembering that season ticket holders’ use of Ifollow to watch home games does not generate any short-term revenue for the club"

It's also worth remembering (and mentioning) that it does reduce the amount that the club need to refund at the end of the season. I read earlier (googled) that the club receives all home ifollow revenue sold through its own website and revenue generated from the first 500 away passes sold.

I'm sorry, I know Chansri is the devil reincarnated to some people at the moment and I'm not defending him at all, but this report is just a news of the world piece, full of errors and speculation and opinion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's quite simple have we been treated worse than most clubs in our league? If true then Chansiri needs to answer that. I welcome more looking in to this. Journalist s should be looking in to this although it seems the local press are scared of DC.

Happy clappers I wonder if you might work for swfc........ Just a thought....... 

Loyalty is choosing year after year to buy a season ticket...... That season ticket is to pay up front to help support the club but is actually for a season of home games sat in the stadium.  If you pay for something from Amazon and it doesn't arrive you quite rightly want your money back!

All I want is to be treated fairly and the same as any other supporter in our league. I can understand it being different for those with bigger turn over but clubs around our size in terms of turn over that's who we should be doing the same as..... IMO

I think the Government should be helping clubs to do this. Clubs are businesses and pay alot of tax.

1 hour ago, ashley8 said:

Happy clappers I wonder if you might work for swfc........ Just a thought....... 

Bit lame really, I don't work for the club. I do always renew my season ticket  on the early bird deal though...The suggestion that someone has a different opinion so they must be employed by the club is a bit sad really.

The comparisons with Tesco and Amazon are bull to be fair. chansiri got it right (maybe he worded it wrong) when he mentioned customers or supporters, but I totally get his point.

It is not as black and white as that, if I went to tesco every day and bought milk that was off...I would start to shop somewhere else. If I went (and I do) to watch SWFC every week and they were "off", I wouldn't start to support the pigs. there is a huge difference between a customer and a supporter. We have been served off milk for years....but we still go.

I totally get that many people have committed to buying a season ticket in advance and whilst they could afford to pay for it then, things have changed now and people have lost jobs.

But this so called "research paper" just panders to people like you and is not at all realistic. Prices have gone up whilst season ticket numbers have also gone up..so go figure that against your tesco/amazon model. there's no mention of this in this "research paper".

Also, around half the people who have bought season tickets have not asked for a refund (myself included), usually "research papers" look at all factors.

This is just yet another dig at the club thinly veiled as "research".

It is not a research paper, its a presentation of selected facts and an opinion piece without any real discussion of alternative views.

These reports/papers (essays) are completely quantitative. Football support is not quantitative, football support completely defies that logic and when essays like this lands on any Chairman's desk they will see it. "Hmm,....we charge too much, but we get more season ticket holders". "We charge too much but we have some of the highest attendances"

So here I am trying to give you an alternative view...(you can thank me later) 

I just want to clarify as well. If this hadn't been presented as a "report" or a "research paper", I probably would not have even bothered responding. I'm just trying to point out that this embryonic group are doing exactly what has happened before with "supporters" groups...and they are probably going to go the same way if they carry on with the same model... despite their good intentions. 

this bullshit will appear on twitter and Facebook soon as fact. If you want to be seen as  reputable supporters group then do the basics right.. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Regarding ticket prices, seems there is a split between people who think they are too expensive and others who are happy to pay high prices.

Would a reasonable approach be to offer reasonably priced tickets on The Kop, geared at getting as many fans in there as possible and hopefully also making enough noise to help build a good atmosphere, while keeping the higher prices on the North and South where there is generally a better view of the game?

What this thread has taught me is that there are some fans who have very clearly been conditioned to believe that ticket prices have to be the highest to compete

Whilst we're in the relegation zone, sold our stadium, sold Lucas Joao, Haven't been paying our staff properly on time etc

Total conditioning

Repeating what the chairman promised verbatim to fellow fans who have seen with their own eyes what we've had since that famous survey telling us that if we keep the ticket prices as high as they are, that the chairman will deliver success and competing for promotion

It's weird

It's like someone coming up to you telling you that grass is really purple. You can see it's green, and you can see they've been conditioned by bullsh*t, so you just have to say 'oh okay mate' and walk away as fast as possible leaving them to their dribbling frothing at the mouth nonsense

• Like 4

Owlstalk Shop

29 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's like someone coming up to you telling you that grass is really purple. You can see it's green, and you can see they've been conditioned by bullsh*t, so you just have to say 'oh okay mate' and walk away as fast as possible leaving them to their dribbling frothing at the mouth nonsense

you should knock up a table to go with this mate, then you could publish it as a "research paper". 🙂

• Haha 1

Guest Hornsby
10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Chansiri is a car crash but take him over Bin Laden any day as a funder.

Or an owner whose family lops off head of journos they don't like.

13 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

The language used in this is emotive nonsense. It should have been kept objective and concise without clear and obvious bias.

Disappointing. 

I should have made clearer the difference between the comment pieces copied onto here (designed to provoke debate) and the full report. The full reports aim to be objective as you say. So, I take your point. Thank you. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What this thread has taught me is that there are some fans who have very clearly been conditioned to believe that ticket prices have to be the highest to compete

Whilst we're in the relegation zone, sold our stadium, sold Lucas Joao, Haven't been paying our staff properly on time etc

Total conditioning

Repeating what the chairman promised verbatim to fellow fans who have seen with their own eyes what we've had since that famous survey telling us that if we keep the ticket prices as high as they are, that the chairman will deliver success and competing for promotion

It's weird

I think what people have been saying is that performances aren't guaranteed but that in theory charging more means spending more means heightened chance of success.

Theres an overlap in so much as you can spend tens of millions and still have a crap season if your transfer policy is awful (this is familiar), conversely you can spend nothing and have a great season if your transfers are great. However more money to spend allied to a good transfer policy will have an increased likelihood of ending in promotion. The ceiling of expected performance shifts and a great season doesn't become a flirtation with the play-offs (as was deemed a great season under Stuart Gray / Milan) but rather promotion. Conversely a crap season under Gray / Milan would have been finishing rock bottom with single digit points and a middling performance would have been 15th to 20th, which is now seen as a disastrous season.

image.png.c926034d52cf7a76270e20783ad985d2.png

I think what I'm trying to say is the ticket prices themselves are not necessarily the issue, the issue is that what we are doing with the revenue is at present poor - mitigating past mistakes / more poor recruitment - and this is making people focus on the ticket prices. As others have said the time to question ticket prices was when we were doing well... undoubtedly a lot of people were doing that but also a lot of others thought the direction the club was going in was great... two play-off campaigns = brilliant.

As in all facets of life success is often fleeting, because successes adjust your premise of what constitutes success  whereas you pay for your mistakes for a loooong, miserable time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dot said:

This is just yet another dig at the club thinly veiled as "research".

It is not a research paper, its a presentation of selected facts and an opinion piece without any real discussion of alternative views.

"The case studies presented in these research papers are not intended as a perfect template that Sheffield Wednesday should adopt. Instead, they provide data and inspiration from which constructive recommendations are on offer to reform Sheffield Wednesday and make it ready for the post-Covid era. They are forward facing publications intended to contribute to debate about the vision for Sheffield Wednesday in the future."

From the summary. Explaining what we're trying to do. We are trying to be constructive and to contribute to debate. Happy of course to here alternative views, I don't think that can be the purpose of the papers though. 

• Like 1