The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

57 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

I don’t have any which is why I haven’t commented either way. If you actually read my posts I’ve specifically said I have no idea as I’ve never seen him play or even heard of him

Yeah but you're commenting on other players, then stating talent doesn't = ability. 

Bit odd that you expect others to be so well informed, yet your own posts are based on nothing but general opinions.

Sam Cosgrove the Birmingham player we were linked with has gone on loan to Shrewsbury for the season, at least we will get to see if he is any good by how many goals he gets compared to say the players we have signed.

Also Norwich have made a very good signing in Greek international Christos Tzolis for £8.8m (12m Euros) he will be a premier league star either this season or the next 18 months, 16 goals and 10 assists in 46 games games for PAOK and at just 19 is already a full international, also has champion's league and Europa league experience already on his cv. One to definitely watch.

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

Yeah but you're commenting on other players, then stating talent doesn't = ability. 

Bit odd that you expect others to be so well informed, yet your own posts are based on nothing but general opinions.

Quite the opposite (again you really should read my posts properly).

I’m actually wondering how people are experts on someone who has played one senior game, not as you suggest, expecting them to be well informed.

I’ve been very clear in my posts that I don’t really have an opinion on this kid and just don’t want people to get their hopes up and out pressure on him on the back of a YouTube video

5 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

Ahh yes. That world renowned team Canada. Think I’d get in their side 

Two points to consider.

1. Canada's women won the gold medal at the Olympics. Perhaps you're underestimating the quality of coaching there. 

2. BPF plays for NI  who like Canada are ranked in slightly higher than Canada, so I suppose he's not good enough based on the reasoning re the ranking of the national team.

2 hours ago, should know better said:

One of the best scoring records in the junior category that we have had in recent years. Very good scoring record for England youth and named in the team of the tournament at the Toulan competition suggests he was very promising. Possibly the wrong club and manager at the time to further his development, if he had been at the dark side of the city or Barnsley he might have been sold for £25 M.

Remember Carlos bombing out Lewis Mcgugan and Lavery who had shown promise with us, but he had his chosen few meaning it was difficult even for Rhodes and Winnall to get in the team.

Hirst should have been loaned out to develop just like when Tottenham were not sure Kane was good enough.

In hindsight the situation was handled very badly but for years we have been poor at realising value for our players something that United and Barnsley are much better at.

100% agree with you with regards to the handling of the situation. We should have got him a contract and got him out on loan. But it did seem his England involvement turned his head somewhat. 

What I could never understand was the clamour for him to play with the strikers we had at the time. When he came on against Reading and played against Cambridge he looked like what he was at the time, a young kid who physically wasn’t ready. 

Borukov was another with a decent youth record and international experience, but he wasn’t called Hirst so most didn’t care. 

59 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Two points to consider.

1. Canada's women won the gold medal at the Olympics. Perhaps you're underestimating the quality of coaching there. 

2. BPF plays for NI  who like Canada are ranked in slightly higher than Canada, so I suppose he's not good enough based on the reasoning re the ranking of the national team.

1. What relevance does the Canadian women’s team have

2. BPF has played a lot more first team football than corbeanu so most fans will have seen him on multiple occasions. He was also sold for £4m. The two situations aren’t comparable. The ranking of the national team also irrelevant

Again just to clarify I haven’t said this lad won’t be good enough which people keep thinking is what I’m getting at. Merely pointing out that people shouldn’t be pinning their hopes on him without any basis

38 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

1. What relevance does the Canadian women’s team have

2. BPF has played a lot more first team football than corbeanu so most fans will have seen him on multiple occasions. He was also sold for £4m. The two situations aren’t comparable. The ranking of the national team also irrelevant

Again just to clarify I haven’t said this lad won’t be good enough which people keep thinking is what I’m getting at. Merely pointing out that people shouldn’t be pinning their hopes on him without any basis

The ranking of the national team also irrelevant, is the point I made.

You're original post,  'Ahh yes. That world renowned team Canada. Think I’d get in their side ', suggested it was very  relevant OTH.

As for Reference to Canadian Women's success, I referred specifically to coaching, but hey read it again but carefully.

5 hours ago, wiggy said:

I’m convinced if he wasn’t called Hirst the mad clamour for him to play wouldn’t have existed amongst the fan base. 

Maybe not to the same degree but there would have been a clamour nonetheless. Remember he was playing for England and banging the goals in. If we had such a player now I think there would be posters wanting him to be given a chance.

Fans love young players getting in the first team even though they can be highly critical when they become established (Palmer)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

The ranking of the national team also irrelevant, is the point I made.

You're original post,  'Ahh yes. That world renowned team Canada. Think I’d get in their side ', suggested it was very  relevant OTH.

As for Reference to Canadian Women's success, I referred specifically to coaching, but hey read it again but carefully.

The USA women’s team is the best in the world but the men’s team are garbage. The state of Canadian women’s football has no bearing on the Canadian men’s team. You’re clutching at straws with this argument 

6 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

The USA women’s team is the best in the world but the men’s team are garbage. The state of Canadian women’s football has no bearing on the Canadian men’s team. You’re clutching at straws with this argument 

You say 'garbage', but literally any of their squad would improve our team.

We are in League 1.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

As a young wide player, there can't be too many players better to train with than Davies in that Canada side. If Corbeanu has picked up anything from sessions with him he could be special. 

25 minutes ago, Vanderowlsterdam said:

As a young wide player, there can't be too many players better to train with than Davies in that Canada side. If Corbeanu has picked up anything from sessions with him he could be special. 

I don't know but a few training sessions with Chris Waddle would definitely improve him as a winger. I wonder if the club could some how get him to come in a do a few training sessions with all the wingers we know have. Would be a massive benefit for the players, great PR too for the club getting a one time legend involved with a bit of coaching.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I don't know but a few training sessions with Chris Waddle would definitely improve him as a winger. I wonder if the club could some how get him to come in a do a few training sessions with all the wingers we know have. Would be a massive benefit for the players, great PR too for the club getting a one time legend involved with a bit of coaching.

Hoddle does a fair bit of coaching too, now Hoddle and Waddle back together again as a coaching dream team. That would be quite something. 

7 hours ago, should know better said:

One of the best scoring records in the junior category that we have had in recent years. Very good scoring record for England youth and named in the team of the tournament at the Toulan competition suggests he was very promising. Possibly the wrong club and manager at the time to further his development, if he had been at the dark side of the city or Barnsley he might have been sold for £25 M.

Remember Carlos bombing out Lewis Mcgugan and Lavery who had shown promise with us, but he had his chosen few meaning it was difficult even for Rhodes and Winnall to get in the team.

Hirst should have been loaned out to develop just like when Tottenham were not sure Kane was good enough.

In hindsight the situation was handled very badly but for years we have been poor at realising value for our players something that United and Barnsley are much better at.

The decision to freeze him out was a very poor one.  

55 minutes ago, Shezza said:

The decision to freeze him out was a very poor one.  

On the other hand the year abroad to stiff us out of money wasn't exactly likely to endear him to fans.

I don't know who was right and who was wrong. From where I sit it looks like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owlinexile said:

You say 'garbage', but literally any of their squad would improve our team.

We are in League 1.

I remember John Harkes was solid for us back in the nineties and the USA weren't ranked highly then.

Certainly agree that there would be a few players in the USA that would be great for us. Dike did well for Barnsley in last half of season last year (9 in 19), hardly garbage.