The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

53 minutes ago, NOT jack whitham said:

Dont think anyone ever thought George Hirst was a special talent.

Pretty sure with his performances in junior/youth teams and representing England we all hoped/thought he'd go on to emulate his dad. Who was a special talent.

15 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

Have u watched his video?
clearly talented at a certain level, unproven at other levels yet. 
yes videos only show best bits but those best bits are very good. 
anyone who knows anything about football knows no matter who playing against or how bad opponents are u still have to control the ball, take players on and score past a keeper. 
this lad clearly has a gift. 

Remember when we signed nej peknic and he looked like a world beater on his video?

1 hour ago, NOT jack whitham said:

Dont think anyone ever thought George Hirst was a special talent.

I’m convinced if he wasn’t called Hirst the mad clamour for him to play wouldn’t have existed amongst the fan base. 

• Like 3

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

Ahh yes. That world renowned team Canada. Think I’d get in their side 

Alright mate, be sarcastic if you like but he’s the best of the wingers that we’ve brought in in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Alright mate, be sarcastic if you like but he’s the best of the wingers that we’ve brought in in my opinion.

I suppose that’s the great thing about football. Everyone’s got an opinion. 

29 minutes ago, wiggy said:

I’m convinced if he wasn’t called Hirst the mad clamour for him to play wouldn’t have existed amongst the fan base. 

One of the best scoring records in the junior category that we have had in recent years. Very good scoring record for England youth and named in the team of the tournament at the Toulan competition suggests he was very promising. Possibly the wrong club and manager at the time to further his development, if he had been at the dark side of the city or Barnsley he might have been sold for £25 M.

Remember Carlos bombing out Lewis Mcgugan and Lavery who had shown promise with us, but he had his chosen few meaning it was difficult even for Rhodes and Winnall to get in the team.

Hirst should have been loaned out to develop just like when Tottenham were not sure Kane was good enough.

In hindsight the situation was handled very badly but for years we have been poor at realising value for our players something that United and Barnsley are much better at.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bigger Guns said:

I wasn’t referring to just Malek. He may well be knowledgeable on this lad (he may also not be - he can’t know everything). There’s been multiple posters bigging  this lad up without any basis 

What are your credentials then to be passing comment on players? 

Any experience as an athlete, or worked in athlete development or even performance analysis?

3 minutes ago, 0742 said:

What are your credentials then to be passing comment on players? 

Any experience as an athlete, or worked in athlete development or even performance analysis?

I don’t have any which is why I haven’t commented either way. If you actually read my posts I’ve specifically said I have no idea as I’ve never seen him play or even heard of him

13 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Based on what?

We've signed shodipo who did well at this level last year and we’ve signed Marvin Johnson who has played most of his career in the division above.

Not saying this lad won’t turn out to be better but how do you know? On the back of a YouTube video? You have to take any YouTube video with a pinch of salt, especially one that is all based on youth team football 

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, should know better said:

One of the best scoring records in the junior category that we have had in recent years. Very good scoring record for England youth and named in the team of the tournament at the Toulan competition suggests he was very promising. Possibly the wrong club and manager at the time to further his development, if he had been at the dark side of the city or Barnsley he might have been sold for £25 M.

Remember Carlos bombing out Lewis Mcgugan and Lavery who had shown promise with us, but he had his chosen few meaning it was difficult even for Rhodes and Winnall to get in the team.

Hirst should have been loaned out to develop just like when Tottenham were not sure Kane was good enough.

In hindsight the situation was handled very badly but for years we have been poor at realising value for our players something that United and Barnsley are much better at.

You are right about a loan..... unfortunately he thought that he was too good to go on loan to toytown, which hastened his departure

For once it looks like we tried to do the right thing to develop a young player.... only for him to reject it

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

Based on what?

We've signed shodipo who did well at this level last year and we’ve signed Marvin Johnson who has played most of his career in the division above.

Not saying this lad won’t turn out to be better but how do you know? On the back of a YouTube video? You have to take any YouTube video with a pinch of salt, especially one that is all based on youth team football 

Let’s wait and see. Shodipo is injury prone and Marvin Johnson is a glorified full back. Hey as long as at least one of them excels then I’m sure we’ll all be happy.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
7 minutes ago, Vanderowlsterdam said:

He's better than Alfonso Davies? 

I doubt it but the love for Corbeanu is definitely there. My worry is that he may not get much of a chance due to his age and is signing too many loans/players.

1 minute ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Let’s wait and see. Shodipo is injury prone and Marvin Johnson is a glorified full back. Hey as long as at least one of them excels then I’m sure we’ll all be happy.

Shodipo played 39 games on loan at Oxford last season. Just because he’s picked up an injury in pre season for us does not mean he’s injury prone

• Like 2

Guest Kagoshimaowl
Just now, Bigger Guns said:

Shodipo played 39 games on loan at Oxford last season. Just because he’s picked up an injury in pre season for us does not mean he’s injury prone

Check his record before that. I think you’ll find he’s injury prone.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 minutes ago, Bigger Guns said:

I do like the look of Shodipo from last season’s performances too by the way.

3 hours ago, Bigger Guns said:

Did you watch George hirst play at least 10 times for our youth team? Bet you thought he was a special talent too and look how that turned out.

You really can’t come to any kind of conclusion until he’s played regular first team football.

I didn't, but "how it turned out" as you say doesn't mean that he wasn't talented. He certainly was a special talent and at just 22 still got good chance to make it.

As well. it wasn't only me, but most other Wednesday fans, everyone at the club, FA and Premiership scouts who thought of him as a special talent.

But i agree with your last line that signing young player with no first team experience is always an educated guess.

Remember when we signed nej peknic and he looked like a world beater on his video?

Watched him before and wrote right away that even if he is type of player who might do well in Portugal he would never cut it in England. Slow, lazy and just couldn't keep up with the pace and physicality of the game here.