The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

24 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Can't remember having a pacy mobile striker for years and years. 

But is that the type of striker to play alone upfront in Moore's favored 4-2-3-1 formation ? Wouldn't we ideally want someone who can win a header, keep ball upfront and get others involved ?!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, malek said:

But is that the type of striker to play alone upfront in Moore's favored 4-2-3-1 formation ? Wouldn't we ideally want someone who can win a header, keep ball upfront and get others involved ?!

I think ideally one of each, so we have options. An experienced target man, plus a pacey option to mix it up.

• Like 1

Just came across this - obviously aimed at championship clubs so quite a few of these would be beyond us but in terms of wide players or strikers there’s a couple of names we might be looking at.

Wickham’s been discussed, I was disappointed with him in his last spell here so would rather we avoided him.

Wouldn’t mind Baldock provided his wages aren’t too high, ditto Sinclair for a bit of added pace.

I’d have assumed he’d be beyond us but Marvin Johnson hasn’t found a club yet. He may have played for the unwashed but he’s a very useful player on his day, can play wing back too so offers a bit of tactical flexibility.

Same story with Jamie Paterson, a player I’ve wanted us to sign for years, he’s quality imo. 

7 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Just came across this - obviously aimed at championship clubs so quite a few of these would be beyond us but in terms of wide players or strikers there’s a couple of names we might be looking at.

Wickham’s been discussed, I was disappointed with him in his last spell here so would rather we avoided him.

Wouldn’t mind Baldock provided his wages aren’t too high, ditto Sinclair for a bit of added pace.

I’d have assumed he’d be beyond us but Marvin Johnson hasn’t found a club yet. He may have played for the unwashed but he’s a very useful player on his day, can play wing back too so offers a bit of tactical flexibility.

Same story with Jamie Paterson, a player I’ve wanted us to sign for years, he’s quality imo. 

Aluko and Baldock are both on trial at Derby. Rooney says he wants to sign them if he can.

Wickham scored a couple for us in that loan spell. He would be very good in League 1 if over his injuries.

No other forwards on that list appeal.

9 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Aluko and Baldock are both on trial at Derby. Rooney says he wants to sign them if he can.

Wickham scored a couple for us in that loan spell. He would be very good in League 1 if over his injuries.

Considering he's only played about 80 games in nearly 9 years I'd say he is never over his injuries. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Return of Kachunga? Unfinished business!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

To me, that list is the sort of players we would’ve signed 3/4 years ago which got us into the financial mire. 30+ with no resale value, injury prone, other off-field issues, well-known names who would expect to command big contracts… no thanks

• Like 2

Just now, Southie_Owl said:

Tin helmets time, Gary Cahill could be a player coach to replace Williams?  I know I know old crock and high wages and all that 

I think Moore’s trying to get the assistant at Rochdale to join. 

7 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

To me, that list is the sort of players we would’ve signed 3/4 years ago which got us into the financial mire. 30+ with no resale value, injury prone, other off-field issues, well-known names who would expect to command big contracts… no thanks

Taking a look at that list, I have two thoughts:

1) Jesus, Stewart Downing is still playing?

2) Maybe that big lad from non-league is still available...

34 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think Moore’s trying to get the assistant at Rochdale to join. 

27 minutes ago, s29wfc said:

Jimmy Shan?

He was only announced less than 2 weeks ago?!  DC would have to get his wedge out.

https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2021/july/jimmyshanassistantmanager/

Think we have made some very decent signings so far. It’s a shame the better ones are on loan and we probably wouldn’t have a chance to sign them permanently when their loan is up. Will leave big holes in the squad again.