The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

38 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Anyone heard owt on strikers ? I really hope we go all out for Simms would be a real coup.

Exactly……..Ellis Simms at Everton on loan would be the signing to make fans think we could get promoted….Simms single handily got Blackpool promoted last season  and Benitez wants him out on loan again …..Make it happen Chansiri!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Anyone heard owt on strikers ? I really hope we go all out for Simms would be a real coup.

The young striker from Everton who was at Blackpool last season, or the winger Moore had at Donny who’s now out of contract? Both would be great signings, fingers crossed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hughdowd said:

Exactly……..Ellis Simms at Everton on loan would be the signing to make fans think we could get promoted….Simms single handily got Blackpool promoted last season  and Benitez wants him out on loan again …..Make it happen Chansiri!!!

I’d be amazed if he didn’t end up back at Blackpool. They have publicly said they want him still and seem very much in the loop about the surgery he has had over the summer. I imagine they’re just waiting for him to be back to a good level of fitness and then he’ll sign for them. That said if he is somehow made available to league 1 clubs then I would love him at Wednesday. 

7 minutes ago, jacko1992 said:

Connor Wickham anyone? 👀

Too injury prone. He isn't just a bit injury prone. He literally hardly plays. Nightmare to spend your budget on limited strikers over a 50+game season and he never plays. It surely csnt be worth the risk. We want fit and ready players that won't break down. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacko1992 said:

Connor Wickham anyone? 👀

The signings made so far plus the rejected trialists suggest that pace and mobility are at the top of DM’s requirements. Wickham is the absolute opposite to that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Too injury prone. He isn't just a bit injury prone. He literally hardly plays. Nightmare to spend your budget on limited strikers over a 50+game season and he never plays. It surely csnt be worth the risk. We want fit and ready players that won't break down. 

Did he get more injured while you were typing that out?

Sounds about right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Can't remember having a pacy mobile striker for years and years. 

Lucas Joao the last one. Complete forward. Had it all. Just needed to stay injury free and find consistency - which he did for Reading last season. 

But agreed we rarely sign strikers who can play off the shoulder, run into the channels and frighten defenders with their pace. Joao is the only one who I think really fits that mould. 

Windass I suppose to an extent. The only other I can think of is Gabby Agbonlahor on loan! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Can't remember having a pacy mobile striker for years and years. 

But is that the type of striker to play alone upfront in Moore's favored 4-2-3-1 formation ? Wouldn't we ideally want someone who can win a header, keep ball upfront and get others involved ?!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, malek said:

But is that the type of striker to play alone upfront in Moore's favored 4-2-3-1 formation ? Wouldn't we ideally want someone who can win a header, keep ball upfront and get others involved ?!

I think ideally one of each, so we have options. An experienced target man, plus a pacey option to mix it up.

• Like 1

Just came across this - obviously aimed at championship clubs so quite a few of these would be beyond us but in terms of wide players or strikers there’s a couple of names we might be looking at.

Wickham’s been discussed, I was disappointed with him in his last spell here so would rather we avoided him.

Wouldn’t mind Baldock provided his wages aren’t too high, ditto Sinclair for a bit of added pace.

I’d have assumed he’d be beyond us but Marvin Johnson hasn’t found a club yet. He may have played for the unwashed but he’s a very useful player on his day, can play wing back too so offers a bit of tactical flexibility.

Same story with Jamie Paterson, a player I’ve wanted us to sign for years, he’s quality imo. 

7 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Just came across this - obviously aimed at championship clubs so quite a few of these would be beyond us but in terms of wide players or strikers there’s a couple of names we might be looking at.

Wickham’s been discussed, I was disappointed with him in his last spell here so would rather we avoided him.

Wouldn’t mind Baldock provided his wages aren’t too high, ditto Sinclair for a bit of added pace.

I’d have assumed he’d be beyond us but Marvin Johnson hasn’t found a club yet. He may have played for the unwashed but he’s a very useful player on his day, can play wing back too so offers a bit of tactical flexibility.

Same story with Jamie Paterson, a player I’ve wanted us to sign for years, he’s quality imo. 

Aluko and Baldock are both on trial at Derby. Rooney says he wants to sign them if he can.

Wickham scored a couple for us in that loan spell. He would be very good in League 1 if over his injuries.

No other forwards on that list appeal.

9 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Aluko and Baldock are both on trial at Derby. Rooney says he wants to sign them if he can.

Wickham scored a couple for us in that loan spell. He would be very good in League 1 if over his injuries.

No other forwards on that list appeal.

Considering he's only played about 80 games in nearly 9 years I'd say he is never over his injuries.