The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

2 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

A bit worried we’ve still not been properly linked with any strikers. I would take Vokes. 

Absolutely, Vokes is exactly what we need. What he lacks in pace, makes up for in experience, nouse, presence and finishing. Would be an excellent signing for any L1 club. 

IMO, someone like him for the experience plus a younger pacey option as back up, would be ideal. Allows us to mix things up when needed.

Just now, TheEnchanter said:

Said before but worrying only 80 odd apps at age 25. 

Yeh, not great

I know next to nowt about him I won’t lie 

4 minutes ago, flash said:

Al has said it’s a playmaker so could be the Swansea lad I suppose. Also makes me wonder if BB is on his way soon. 

Probably, we've been linked with Byers for a while. I hope Bannan not leaving, but let's be fair he isn't going to be around forever and at some point need to start planning to play without him. 

I'm not sure about Byers, not seen him a lot TBH but at his age, not much development potential, hit and miss with his recent loan spells and when linked earlier his wages were quoted as a major stumbling block, so imagine he is not cheap. I really do think we ought to start focusing remaining budget on a GK and some ST's.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Said before but worrying only 80 odd apps at age 25. 

Bit worrying but he does have talent from a quick look on YouTube (yes I know).

I think he has the potential to chip in with goals from midfield which is something we lack hugely and have done since Kieran Lee got injured. 

26 minutes ago, malek said:

Can't say that I share your views. For me there are options presenting themselves and we are not picking right ones, just like we didn't picked right one at Rocastle all those years ago and got promoted despite and not because of him. Accrington tried with Uwakwe and gave him chance, it didn't worked and they moved on at brought in players they think can do better. Our logic makes 0 sense (if he is supposed to be a first team player) as we look to bring in player who failed and wasn't good enough at Accrington and plan to play him in team with higher aspirations and  under much more pressure ?!

He might only be considered as back up anyway. He might not be in the first 11 or being considered for that. He's got to impress and negotiate the trial first. If wing backs are played, and the more regular central midfielders get in - he wouldn't start would he, if they decided on him? I see him as only a squad player. It's not like he'd be thrown in with a starting spot with the pressure that goes with it with his lack of league experience. So if he's just to help the squad numbers we wouldn't be looking for a player to shift all the wages on. As I say, he's got to negotiate the trial first. I'd understand your perspective more if he was being considered to go straight in. If not he might not get past the Accrington amount of games for us. We will see who this midfielder is who Nixon is on about...

3 hours ago, malek said:

So, your logic is to never look at how well (or not) player did at another clubs before deciding if you want us to sign him ? What to base your opinion on than ?!

You named Urhoghide as an example of a player we signed who was unwanted by club at level below us that turned good enough. I can name you hundreds that didn't. And it is not that Urhoghide did poorly, but never got a chance to prove if he can or can't do it.

You've got to trust the manager and coaching team to get more right than they get wrong. These won't be big wage signings so there's little risk. If they aren't fancied elsewhere they will be desperate to stay in the game and will jump at any offer. These are the ones we should always get a years optional extension on.

Swansea on George Byers.

'Massively overrated by our fans like a lot of players'

'I saw a number of Pompey games where he played and in all truth he didn't shine and his work rate is very questionable. He came on as sub to influence the game against Accrington to get Pompey a playoff spot an really didn't impress'

'Safe to say he will be moving on from here in the summer, surprised he didn’t get many chances at L1 level because we all were shocked he didn’t get a Championship loan'

'You make your own chances in life, perhaps they saw a player of average ability and minimal effort...'

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, malek said:

Can't say that I share your views. For me there are options presenting themselves and we are not picking right ones, just like we didn't picked right one at Rocastle all those years ago and got promoted despite and not because of him. Accrington tried with Uwakwe and gave him chance, it didn't worked and they moved on at brought in players they think can do better. Our logic makes 0 sense (if he is supposed to be a first team player) as we look to bring in player who failed and wasn't good enough at Accrington and plan to play him in team with higher aspirations and  under much more pressure ?!

What makes you think we have higher aspirations than Accrington?

We are doing Chansiri's version of 'financially sustainable' now.  

I very much doubt that means 'consistently buy young players to develop and sell at a profit'.

2 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Swansea on George Byers.

'Massively overrated by our fans like a lot of players'

'I saw a number of Pompey games where he played and in all truth he didn't shine and his work rate is very questionable. He came on as sub to influence the game against Accrington to get Pompey a playoff spot an really didn't impress'

'Safe to say he will be moving on from here in the summer, surprised he didn’t get many chances at L1 level because we all were shocked he didn’t get a Championship loan'

'You make your own chances in life, perhaps they saw a player of average ability and minimal effort...'

sounds brilliant 🤮

2 hours ago, malek said:

He started out as right winger for our U-18's, played DM during his season long loan at Tranmere and got converted to RB when he got chance here.

It makes you wonder why he was so bad at crossing if he started off as a winger. To be fair his crossing improved a lot after Moore took over.