The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

We do need more depth.  but we are dropping down a division so it's unknown how well some may do there.

The problem with talking about "unknown" is that I don't think it favours us. 

The unknowns are all ours. We don't know how our better first team players will fare with the drop. We don't know their current commitment levels after a turbulent 6+ months, relegation, the pay issues and reported denied moves away. We don't know how many of the numerous youth players we're promoting into the first team set up are genuinely ready. We don't know how many of the new signings are ready. 

Forgetting Ipswich, but the other teams likely to be in the promotion shake up all look like they're bigger "knowns" to themselves if not to us. Portsmouth, Sunderland, Lincoln, Charlton, Rotherham, Oxford.. I dunno how confident I am in saying that they're any more of an unknown than we are with ourselves and are own progress towards getting the hell out of League One. 

Realistically I don't expect to get a handle on where this team is until November. I think by then we might have more of an indication of which of the experienced pro's are still into it, which of the kids are actually ready, and where we stand in terms of competing in this league. Until then for me there's just way too much floating about in the air. Way too many question marks to start comparing us to other teams or expectations. 

• Like 2

Long term injuries to 2 or more of:

Bannan,

Luongo,

Iorfa,

Windass

will see us really, really struggle in my opinion. 

That’s not great as one is already injured (and a perennial injury risk) and two of the others are coming off the back of a looooong time out.

It’s a long season in a physical league. Unless we beef up the squad, we’re a bit of bad luck away from being in serious trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Random Task said:

Long term injuries to 2 or more of:

Bannan,

Luongo,

Iorfa,

Windass

will see us really, really struggle in my opinion. 

That’s not great as one is already injured (and a perennial injury risk) and two of the others are coming off the back of a looooong time out.

It’s a long season in a physical league. Unless we beef up the squad, we’re a bit of bad luck away from being in serious trouble.

You could say that about most teams' core of about 4/5 players 

• Love 1

1 minute ago, s29wfc said:

You could say that about most teams' core of about 4/5 players 

You’re probably not wrong.

I don’t know how many other teams have quite as much emphasis on young, unproven back up as us and I don’t believe there can be many teams with as bad a history with injuries as we’ve had over the last few years. 

The quality gap between 1st and 2nd choice is huge. If Bannan & Luongo are injured at the same time we’ll need to play Dele Bashiru & Hunt (with Adeniran who I’m excited about but has played 20 times in his career). 

• Like 1

Sorry, double post - can’t edit to finish my point

2 minutes ago, Random Task said:

You’re probably not wrong.

I don’t know how many other teams have quite as much emphasis on young, unproven back up as us and I don’t believe there can be many teams with as bad a history with injuries as we’ve had over the last few years. 

The quality gap between 1st and 2nd choice is huge. If Bannan & Luongo are injured at the same time we’ll need to play Dele Bashiru & Hunt (with Adeniran who I’m excited about but has played 20 times in his career). 

If we lose 2 players for half a season, we have a relegation midfield and don’t have the quality elsewhere to cover for it. 

Think we need another 6 players personally,  a GK , a left sided CB who can also play in a 3 (the kid Opoku looks ideal) , An attacking mid, A winger and 2 strikers. Hopefully the two on trial - Jasper and Uwakwe can impress enough to be given contracts, like the look of Uwakwe from the snippets I've seen. Then that leaves 2 strikers and the keeper.

• Like 2

We keep the squad together and have no more off the field issues you have to expect a top six finish. Moore is a very good coach who knows what he is doing.  And the four players we have signed so far should all be good at this level.  

If after 3 games we have 1 point I may change my tune. but at the moment I don't see a reason not to be optimistic giving the fact we have a decent manager for this divison and some of the best players playing for us in it.

Agreed but I think have 10 games you can really see what sort of season lies ahead, that is my usual criteria. You have to give allowance for players to gel etc.We also need to remember window doesn't close until end of August, expecting a couple of loans from PL.

• Like 1

We keep the squad together and have no more off the field issues you have to expect a top six finish. Moore is a very good coach who knows what he is doing.  And the four players we have signed so far should all be good at this level.  

If after 3 games we have 1 point I may change my tune. but at the moment I don't see a reason not to be optimistic giving the fact we have a decent manager for this divison and some of the best players playing for us in it.

I don't think we have the forwards to expect a top-six finish as things stand. Windass aside, there's no real quality up there, and he could do with a proper centre forward to play off, too. Obviously we're looking to recruit a striker or two, but for me, as last season, a lot depends on who we bring in up front.

And then there's the elephant in the room, which is that off-field issues are almost a given with Chansiri at the helm.

• Like 1

6 in an ideal world for me.

Goalkeeper - desperate for one. High priority. BPF seems out of reach. Would take Fielding, Blackman or Betinelli on frees.

Centre back - Borner departure imminent. Opoku on loan or go back in for Bola. Both left footed so fit the bill. Connor Oglivile would be the perfect option. 

Centre mid - Just for cover. Bannan could be off and relying on Luongo to stay fit is a big ask. Depth is poor. Like the look of George Byers and would like us to bring him in.

Winger - Another creative option. Perhaps one of Uwakwe or Jasper on loan if they impress. Josh Sims still available.

Striker X2 - huge area of importance. Target man and pacy option needed. Target man I’d take Gregory or Vokes from Stoke. Would love that Hudlin lad from Solihull but reckon he would cost a fee. And use the loan market, Adam Idah, Tyrece John Jules both seem realistic options. Jerome Sinclair is on a free, not lived up to expectations but could be worth a punt if desperate

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I don't think we have the forwards to expect a top-six finish as things stand. Windass aside, there's no real quality up there, and he could do with a proper centre forward to play off, too. Obviously we're looking to recruit a striker or two, but for me, as last season, a lot depends on who we bring in up front.

And then there's the elephant in the room, which is that off-field issues are almost a given with Chansiri at the helm.

I am expecting Paterson to play centre forward for us this season if he stays and be quite good at it in this division. But agree we do need other options 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Anyone know anything about this bloke? Signing picture has been leaked apparently 

BA45D7F1-23A8-4DB7-A33D-5C461BB27E32.jpeg.34c14619e5a016ee4e058a9626831cfc.jpeg

More incompetence by Chansiri, Moore told him we needed a number 1..  so Chansiri called this guy to write one.  FFS

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I am expecting Paterson to play centre forward for us this season if he stays and be quite good at it in this division. But agree we do need other options 

He looks like he should be a centre forward, but he never seems to win a great deal in the air or hold it up particularly well, does he? 

I feel like we're still waiting for something to click with Paterson and he could become an absolute beast. Let's hope so, eh?

• Like 1