The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

4 minutes ago, canyoujust said:

From the guy who has recommended every academy player for last 10 years... I am happy you dont agree

If we signed some of those than we wouldn't be in a poo that we are in today. And some of those I recommended 10 years ago were Henri Lansbury, Oliver Norwood, Matt Ritchie...

Signing likes of David Jones, Almen Abdi, George Boyd... proved to be better option.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, malek said:

People wanting us to bring back players who already failed here and with their best days behind shows how poor our recruitment team is doing.

We should have been looking with excitement towards next season eager to see new players in action.

To be honest considering the restrictions they are working under I think they are doing ok. Not quite sure what people are expecting. Moore knows where we need to strengthen. It's clearly not easy but i'm fairly pleased with the types of signings they have made so far.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, malek said:

People wanting us to bring back players who already failed here and with their best days behind shows how poor our recruitment team is doing.

We should have been looking with excitement towards next season eager to see new players in action.

Surely the job of the recruitment team is to identity the best targets regardless of whether they have played for us before? It would be remiss of them not to.

As regarding recruitment players whose best days are behind them. That’s not an huge issue for me either if they are better than the player they are replacing and will improve our prospects. 

24 minutes ago, wmb said:

To be honest considering the restrictions they are working under I think they are doing ok. Not quite sure what people are expecting. Moore knows where we need to strengthen. It's clearly not easy but i'm fairly pleased with the types of signings they have made so far.

To me it seems like almost everyone is doing better than us.

We have plenty of central midfielders, but not playmaker that can be counted on.

We have 2 experienced right backs, but no senior left back.

We don't have a single out and out striker, and no one who can play upfront alone in Moore's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

We have 2 senior and 4 young keepers, yet not one of them can be trusted to be our no 1 next season.

Not forget how poor we were last season and did nothing to address issues we had, probably thinking that playing at lower level will fix everything.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, malek said:

We have plenty of central midfielders, but not playmaker that can be counted on.

We don't have a single out and out striker, and no one who can play upfront alone in Moore's preferred 4-2-3-1 formation.

We have 2 senior and 4 young keepers, yet not one of them can be trusted to be our no 1 next season.

Not forget how poor we were last season and did nothing to address issues we had, probably thinking that playing at lower level will fix everything.

I get the obsession with youth.

It's like on FM, you always want to see the green arrows going up and players getting better every year.

But the reality is, bringing in youngsters that havent made the grade elsewhere is always a coin throw.  For every Glenn Whelan or Keiran Lee out there, there are a dozen that just won't make it.  It's exciting waiting to find out if any will make the grade, but if we have a full team of unproven youngsters, they will take us down with them.

Hunt is a known quantity.  We know what he can do, and we know he is easily good enough for this division.  We need a core of decent, known quantitities like Hunt along with the youngsters.  Bringing him in was a no-brainer...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, malek said:

excellent post. Fully agree. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, malek said:

This is true.

And its also possibly a position on the pitch where developing youth would have been handy.

Saving the experience for CB or GK.

I couldn't have seen Hunt joining another league one club tho, swings and roundabouts. Maybe he is a coup.

20 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

It's like on FM, you always want to see the green arrows going up and players getting better every year.

But the reality is, bringing in youngsters that havent made the grade elsewhere is always a coin throw.  For every Glenn Whelan or Keiran Lee out there, there are a dozen that just won't make it.  It's exciting waiting to find out if any will make the grade, but if we have a full team of unproven youngsters, they will take us down with them.

Hunt is a known quantity.  We know what he can do, and we know he is easily good enough for this division.  We need a core of decent, known quantitities like Hunt along with the youngsters.  Bringing him in was a no-brainer...

Although watching academy player rise through the ranks for me is one of better feelings in football, that is not what I'm talking about.

I don't want us to fill team with young players due to some romantic notion. I want us to try and create value withing the squad so that we could earn money and be as self sustainable as possible.

I can't believe that there are club owners and chairmen who don't demand this from their managers as big part of their core job ?!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

We’ve lost out on Paul Mullin….to Wrexham.

I say lost out. We were probably never in for him.

I know Wrexham are quids in. But a very odd move still.

Suppose it can be attributed to the same "reason" as was given when Champions League players went to Wolves. The excitement of the project, ambition of the owner etc...

That he's probably on a wedge not too dissimilar to what he would get at a bottom-6 League One club, with a guaranteed long contract and legendary status amongst the fans for such a coup joining, probably has very little to do with it...

31 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

I think the signing of hunt tells something though clearly DM is not in charge of new signing as we were led to believe because Hunt could not be further from DM signing if you tried. This as Chansiri written all over it, jobs for the boys, over 30, last big pat day, likely to get injured and take longer to recover.

He is no better than Palmer and we now have two senior right backs yet two kids at left back, it a makes no sense signing or as we call it a Chansiri signing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I think the signing of hunt tells something though clearly DM is not in charge of new signing as we were led to believe because Hunt could not be further from DM signing if you tried. This as Chansiri written all over it, jobs for the boys, over 30, last big pat day, likely to get injured and take longer to recover.

He is no better than Palmer and we now have two senior right backs yet two kids at left back, it a makes no sense signing or as we call it a Chansiri signing.

Why isn’t it a Moore type signing? He signed a variety of players at Doncaster remember, not just young players.

• Like 2

Guest OwlPastie

Obviously we might not have been in for Mullin, but if not it raises the question, why not? 

Decent age, scored for fun last year and very low risk on a free in a position that we are really lacking. At best, we unearth a gem that blooms late like Vardy. At worst we signed a striker on a free who I doubt would demand a huge wage. 

I'm a huge fan of Moore, and I like how he's bringing in athletic young players with a point to prove. He's shown his preferred system, but the players we've signed and are linked to aren't signed for that system. So is he working with what he has, and signings will be with the plan to change system? Going into a season with a complete new system and new players who haven't played it is a huge risk. 

It feels to me as if his hands are tied, he knows we are lacking so taking whomever the chairman says they can get hold of. 

It's either that, or the other signings are going to be big ones that have interest from other clubs so waiting for the best offer. 

9 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

We’ve lost out on Paul Mullin….to Wrexham.

I say lost out. We were probably never in for him.

I know Wrexham are quids in. But a very odd move still.

No different to a championship right back signing for a league one team though is it.

He was born in Bootle, played for the youth teams of Everton and liverpool and he is now only now an hour from home playing in Wrexham,

They are a team with investment, who will be a league team again very soon and he will be getting paid very well for scoring the goals to get them promoted.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Why isn’t it a Moore type signing? He signed a variety of players at Doncaster remember, not just young players.

He's been looking at kids and barely anyone of them are old enough tocshave, then signs a 30 year old ex player, for a position he already has Palmer, Iorfa and Dawodu. But is working on a shoestring with 4 options at right back 

Yes this is definitely a DM signing.😁😁😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1