The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

4 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Hunt taking huge pay cut 

I'm not surprised and kind of understand his rationale. He's literally just got his daughter back in school (I assume in Leeds) having moved back from Bristol and I imagine at 30 he wants some stability. 

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Hunt taking huge pay cut 

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Was on a good wage here and then took a pay rise to up sticks to Bristol. The chance to move back home and secure a 2/3 year deal is sometimes more attractive then increasing your wage. Of course footballers want to earn a good wage, but when you have a young family stability is everything. It’s the same situation with Bannan, just bought a house here, has a young family. It means if we did accept a bid, he’d want a wage increase and probably demand a 3 year deal if he was to move his family to another part of the country. Not to mention move even further south from Scotland. 

So yes footballers want and demand more money, but the essential thing they want is stability. 

So through the door so far Adenarin, Shodipo, Brown, Hunt.

Goalkeeper still a must - only link so far is Peacock Farrell.

Borner leaving so will need a new centre back. Ideally left footed. Therefore very surprised we didn’t offer Tolaji Bola a contract. Odimayo didn’t earn a deal at Portsmouth. Will we go back in? He’s right footed mind.

Rumours Bannan is off. Will need a replacement in midfield if so. George Byers out of budget according to Nixon, but surely if Bannan leaves that will free up wages? Uwakwe on trial, not sure if he’s a midfield player or more a wide player. But looks quite handy on clips I’ve seen.

Strikers is the biggie. Windass potentially out for a while really scuppers us. Paterson left out the squad the other night, previously reported not to be happy about wages. Could he be forcing a move like Borner? If this is the case we need at least 3 centre forwards. Sylvester Jaspar on loan looks more of a wide player to me. Troy Parrott linked who would fit the bill. Sam Baldock currently on trial at Derby, but if that doesn’t materialise could be a cheap-ish option to make up the numbers.

12 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

Nixon is bang on here and its why transfers are quiet in general. There's no money around. I saw Watford had 9 trialists playing in their Under 23's game a few days ago and Liverpool are flogging some decent young talent before been able to make signings (Club policy it seems).

There's no money and plenty of young players wanting to get out on loan. This is why we have two prospects on trial as teams need to make the right decisions with the small budgets they have.

I made this point several times last season. Apart from the corporate darlings, football finances are the worst they have ever been in terms of cost base. Wages and squad numbers were always going to plummet, actually giving us a chance to build a good team, during our current reset.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, striker said:

Maybe more to do with Swansea  handing out good contracts using parachute money, but how that's gone, they are skint and why Cooper jumped ship. 

I think Swansea want a permanent transfer, in which case a non starter, moved before on loan probably with a percentage wage contribution making it more affordable.

I think cooper left because he got them to the play offs twice while having his best players sold from under him.

Very little investment in their team and you will see Swansea drift down the league over the coming seasons until they start investing in the team again.

16 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Hunt taking huge pay cut 

Just like most players without a club will have to if they want a contract somewhere. Club's just don't have the money to splash around as they did pre covid. 

Players that left us such as Lees and Reach are going to get nowhere near the salaries they were on at Wednesday, even if they get a deal with a Championship club.

13 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

I'm not surprised and kind of understand his rationale. He's literally just got his daughter back in school (I assume in Leeds) having moved back from Bristol and I imagine at 30 he wants some stability. 

So why's he picking a team known for not paying their players, treating fans poorly and generally a very badly run club. He will end up at Rotherham or Huddersfield if he wants to stay local if they can match the 5 figure salary he will want.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Just like most players without a club will have to if they want a contract somewhere. Club's just don't have the money to splash around as they did pre covid. 

Players that left us such as Lees and Reach are going to get nowhere near the salaries they were on at Wednesday, even if they get a deal with a Championship club.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Lees signs a 1 year deal at Wednesday on much reduced terms once he’s fit

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Wouldn’t surprise me if Lees signs a 1 year deal at Wednesday on much reduced terms once he’s fit

Beat me to it 

No ITK on that one,   Just a general thought 

1 minute ago, yeadonowl said:

Didn't we offer him a new deal on reduced terms?

He said no and left but he might realise 'the grass isn't always greener' and end up regretting it. As you say it wouldn't be a surprise, especially with Boerner leaving.

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Beat me to it 

No ITK on that one,   Just a general thought 

It would be a common sense signing if on the right money. Still plenty of football in Lees and arguably one of our better players last year

I’m really surprised nobody’s took Connor Ogilvie on a free yet 

Left footer can play full back or centre half,  I’d be happy to see him here to replace Borner

6 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

I’m really surprised nobody’s took Connor Ogilvie on a free yet 

Left footer can play full back or centre half,  I’d be happy to see him here to replace Borner

100% - wonder if he's keeping his options open, be no end of suitors in L1, maybe higher.

Paul Mullin too. We need a striker, scored a ton in L2, be a cheap gamble imo.

40 minutes ago, room0035 said:

So why's he picking a team known for not paying their players, treating fans poorly and generally a very badly run club. He will end up at Rotherham or Huddersfield if he wants to stay local if they can match the 5 figure salary he will want.

He knows the club and workings of DC. Think he will accept reduce wages, he is obviously keen to come back or he wouldn't be holding talks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl84 said:

Is he? My understanding is he’s on nothing as a free agent? 

What was he on? What are we offering?

My understanding is all out of contract players get an extra months severance pay, so technically he is still getting paid. 

44 minutes ago, room0035 said:

It would be a common sense signing if on the right money. Still plenty of football in Lees and arguably one of our better players last year

Will struggle with the playing out from the back style Moore likes plus we could do without the own goals he invariably scores 🙄