The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Just when I thought there were green shoots of learning from past mistakes. Bonkers.

Not really, we don’t want to sell him so nothing wrong with putting a price on him to scare people off. Wether Windass wants to move or not is a different matter.

Guest wilyfox

Oh good, so Lewis Wing is the latest player our recruiters will waste time drooling over when we’ve no chance of getting him. Great strategy this…look busy and sign no-one.

5 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Oh good, so Lewis Wing is the latest player our recruiters will waste time drooling over when we’ve no chance of getting him. Great strategy this…look busy and sign no-one.

I suspect the players that we should be targeting/have more chance of signing, our recruitment team have no idea of?

That said I’m not expecting anyone through the door before August 7th and I’m not expecting much else before the end of the window. If players don’t leave like Windass and he’s not going anywhere at £5m then we’re doing nothing.

Guest wilyfox
9 minutes ago, Jim said:

I suspect the players that we should be targeting/have more chance of signing, our recruitment team have no idea of?

That said I’m not expecting anyone through the door before August 7th and I’m not expecting much else before the end of the window. If players don’t leave like Windass and he’s not going anywhere at £5m then we’re doing nothing.

5mil isn’t a price tag, it’s a deterrent. Can’t sell him if we can’t replace.

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, Jim said:

But we supposedly need the money, don’t we?

We also need a team for next season. If we can’t lift the embargo, we can’t sell him as we can’t replace. Chansiri will pay him to ensure he can’t walk.

2 hours ago, swfc1983 said:

Not really, we don’t want to sell him so nothing wrong with putting a price on him to scare people off. Wether Windass wants to move or not is a different matter.

With 1 year left, plus another years option (as reported), £2m or thereabouts would have been good business IMO. His value, such as it is, plummets after this season and I think we all know he'll likely leave for nothing.

Good player though, I'm not disappointed at all if he stays. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Still feels very odd that we can’t pay wages but are linked to players we want to sign.  Also still think it’s strange players like Hagan and Dawodu have signed on at a club who can’t pay wages.  Maybe something positive is about to happen re: money coming out of Chans pocket 

Maybe, just maybe, the rumours of our financial difficulties have been exaggerated. It's hardly a new thing for journalists to report something 'sensational' from a little snippet of information they've been told. 

If you trace these stories back to their first reports, there's often no definitive proof, just speculation, that after being repeated a number of times becomes fact.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, OriginalAlien said:

Maybe, just maybe, the rumours of our financial difficulties have been exaggerated. It's hardly a new thing for journalists to report something 'sensational' from a little snippet of information they've been told. 

If you trace these stories back to their first reports, there's often no definitive proof, just speculation, that after being repeated a number of times becomes fact.

players not being paid again and again isn’t true then? 

TBH, the whole situation is a grind at the minute.

And before @wilyfoxkicks my ar$e for putting this post in the transfers thread I’d better put something in that resembles transfer related.

We’re under an embargo. This won’t be lifted until the accounts are submitted. The local journalists keep telling us progress is being made and the club are confident of it being lifted soon. On Thursday it’s the 1st July and the Transfer Window has been open nearly a month and the embargo is still in place.

Right another point before I get picked up on it. An embargo doesn’t prevent us from signing players on free transfers or loans.

That’s all well and good but then you get that well worn reply on here ‘how can we attract players if we are having trouble paying them’ which in all fairness is a good point.

Then you get the next one. ‘What’s the point in trying to sign a player who has championship interest’ Once again a fair enough point but you don’t ask the question, you don’t get? Totally expecting the reply to be ‘we won’t anyway’

And all this takes me back to the first paragraph in this post. Whatever point you try to make it discussion you try to have, the same old stock replies get trotted out which makes it a grind.

Not disputing other posters opinions or views but the current apathy/sarcasm surrounding this club/fan base makes me feel without significant change/s we’ll never move forward again and I suspect for many this can only happen when we have a new owner but the oracle says this ain’t happening so we’re stuck in this cesspit for the foreseeable future?

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Jim said:

Right another point before I get picked up on it. An embargo doesn’t prevent us from signing players on free transfers or loans.

Great point that. Bruce managed to bring in Odubajo, Borner & Harris under an embargo.

Issue here is not paying wages. Huge red flag for any player wanting to join. 

Still have to question why players allegedly owed so much in wages would even bother turning up for pre season ? 

Whole situation has never made sense, not doubting journos stories , but there’s still something that doesn’t add up 

Players owed dough must have been given assurances, that we Arnt aware of , and likely never will be 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Still have to question why players allegedly owed so much in wages would even bother turning up for pre season ? 

Whole situation has never made sense, not doubting journos stories , but there’s still something that doesn’t add up 

Players owed dough must have been given assurances, that we Arnt aware of , and likely never will be 

perhaps they have been given assurances and could understand if it had only happened once but isn’t it 3 or 4 times players haven’t been paid? Like you say it doesn’t add up.