The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

10 minutes ago, prowl said:

Some people are never satisfied. lol

If we got those five I'd be amazed, mind you a manager would be nice as well.

Oh I’d be happy with every one of them mate. I just don’t think Wickham would be fit enough to play all the games this year. Would be a long term

signing 

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Come on PLEASE !!!!! What happens to people on Owlstalk that they lose all grasp on reality and fact. Really hit some form ....... ? You make it sound like he banged in hat-trick after hat-trick. Wickham is not the answer. Whatever the question. He did ok years and years ago. Get over it. 

I know we’re crap but even for us it’s a new low when someone scoring a header from a corner during an entire loan spell is described as “hitting some form”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I know we’re crap but even for us it’s a new low when someone scoring a header from a corner during an entire loan spell is described as “hitting some form”

1 hour ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Come on PLEASE !!!!! What happens to people on Owlstalk that they lose all grasp on reality and fact. Really hit some form ....... ? You make it sound like he banged in hat-trick after hat-trick. Wickham is not the answer. Whatever the question. He did ok years and years ago. Get over it. 

To me a player hitting ‘some form’ clearly doesn’t represent the same match winning performances you both clearly think it does. 

Aside from that you’ve both completely missed the point I was making. 

When he first signed his performances were completely limp and anonymous. After the lockdown break he scored 2 in 2 and actually showed glimpses of consistency in performance. The Swansea game for example he actually looked a handful at times. But as usual with him he broke down, and missed the next two games. He came back for the last two, but like pre lockdown he was anonymous and ineffective.

So, as I said, he showed some form until he inevitably got injured again. The point being that even when he shows anything like consistency in performance his body let’s him down.

I’m not entirely sure where in this post, or the first, I’ve held him up as the messiah  or advocated his return, as you seem to claim I have. Overreaction works both ways. 

As much as I hope I’m wrong, I’d be amazed if we sign another striker this week.

I just think Marriott’s return has f***ed us up on that one and we just have to hope he does more in the second half of the season than he did in the first.

Of course this could still change if we offloaded a forward this week but I very much doubt this will happen?

1 minute ago, Jim said:

As much as I hope I’m wrong, I’d be amazed if we sign another striker this week.

I just think Marriott’s return has f***ed us up on that one and we just have to hope he does more in the second half of the season than he did in the first.

Of course this could still change if we offloaded a forward this week but I very much doubt this will happen?

unfortunately I think you are right. Imo if we don’t we will not have the goals in us to win enough games to stay up. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

unfortunately I think you are right. Imo if we don’t we will not have the goals in us to win enough games to stay up. 

I’ve said all along if we stay up then it’ll be down to our defence and I still believe that. Hutchinson returning will just solidify us even more so hopefully we won’t have to score shedloads to win games.

Look at Derby, they’ve won their last 2 games 1-0 and I think that in the main is what we’ve got to do.

I think Reach will chip in with goals, hopefully Bannan can and I think you’ll see more goal from the central defenders between now and the end of the season.

As for the strikers, if Paterson gets the ball in the box regularly he’ll score at least another 5-10 and I still think Windass is good for another 5 or 6. It’ll be close but I think we’ve known that since day one of this season.

The need to bring in a mobile target mam is more than just about him adding goals It’s about him bringing others into the equation. There is no effective pairing amongst our current options, and none of them can operate as a lone striker. We could have 10 mismatched strikers, but if they didn’t function as a unit, what’s the point. Our summer recruitment in this respect, was a complete shambles, with seemingly no thought given to how the new front players might mesh This is the main reason we are struggling to overcome a six point penalty. It simply has to be sorted, or we are doomed.

12 hours ago, room0035 said:

Toney former Newcastle player who dropped down to league one and playing for a very attack minder Peterborough scored a lot of goals.

Watkins who came from a very good youth academy at Exeter moving to Brentford after scoring 13 goals in a season at the age of 21. 

Or  Armand Gnanduillet who after playing 2 season with Blackpool and scoring 25 goals was released and ended up in the Greek second division with a team I have never heard off. 

You made me chuckle thanks 😁😁😁

I guess with Toney he had been at Northampton before Newcastle got

him. We need to be the newcastle in that scenario and then actually play him.

But with the signings of green and reported interest in Pickering it’s encouraging that there is an eye on the future. An unnamed club was after Sam Gallagher at Blackburn too and I wondered if it was us.

I wouldn’t mind more battle hardened and experienced players in the mix too though between now and the end of the season. Gnandulliet with a point to prove til the summer might not be bad if we are short of funds. We have two similar players in Windass and Marriott but only one physical striker in Paterson.

It’s always a lottery in any case. Steve Howard seemed all washed up at Hartlepool but I thought he was instrumental for us for a short period. 

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

But with the signings of green and reported interest in Pickering it’s encouraging that there is an eye on the future. An unnamed club was after Sam Gallagher at Blackburn too and I wondered if it was us.

I wouldn’t mind more battle hardened and experienced players in the mix too though between now and the end of the season. Gnandulliet with a point to prove til the summer might not be bad if we are short of funds. We have two similar players in Windass and Marriott but only one physical striker in Paterson.

It’s always a lottery in any case. Steve Howard seemed all washed up at Hartlepool but I thought he was instrumental for us for a short period. 

I too am encouraged by our recruitment so far, or our intentions at least. Pickering seems to be the sort of prospect we usually see other clubs signing, and he addresses a problem area in the side. Even the two free agent signings make sense, especially as we probably only have a limited budget. Again though, the key signing, will be getting the right player to lead the line. If we can bring Pickering in, we have good options, both in defence, and midfield. Our attacking options though, will not suffice. There is a lack of quality, for sure, but more importantly, they cannot function as an effective unit. Without offering a threat to our opponents, they can squeeze us, and eventually we will start to see problems in other areas. I don’t know much about Gnanduellet, he looks fairly physical, yet mobile, but perhaps lacks the quality to be championship player. Who knows though, as somebody else mentioned, he reminds me of Sodje, a player who always looked short on class, but who was often effective It would definitely be gamble, but given our position, a gamble that we may have to consider. 

Former Sheffield Wednesday target Ahmed Musa is being lined up for a short-term contract at Premier League strugglers West Brom, reports Mail Sport.

The Nigerian free agent was strongly linked with a move to Sheffield Wednesday back in November.

Formerly of Leicester City, he became the Foxes’ record-signing at £16.6million in 2016 after their Premier League glory , but would return to CSKA Moscow after just one season in England.

13 hours ago, Mick70 said:

You carry on and av a chuckle and dream on that well go sign some premier league  or top end championship striker for some decent transfer fee ? Those days been and gone were now shopping in a completely different market and unfortunately league one is were we headed unless we go magic something from somewhere 

Did I ever say that was the plan, no but equally I don't want us signing a 28 year old journey man who has never played above league one with a worse scoring rate that Nuihu playing the 3rd and 4th division.

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Have you read about Gnandulliet and why he left Blackpool I suggest you do because he sounds like a right tail.

The words Jay Bothroyd spring to mind but without any ability that he squandered.

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, beswetherick said:

Transfer megathread favourite Matt O’Riley signs for MK Dons

someone check on malek’s well-being.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I too am encouraged by our recruitment so far, or our intentions at least. Pickering seems to be the sort of prospect we usually see other clubs signing, and he addresses a problem area in the side. Even the two free agent signings make sense, especially as we probably only have a limited budget. Again though, the key signing, will be getting the right player to lead the line. If we can bring Pickering in, we have good options, both in defence, and midfield. Our attacking options though, will not suffice. There is a lack of quality, for sure, but more importantly, they cannot function as an effective unit. Without offering a threat to our opponents, they can squeeze us, and eventually we will start to see problems in other areas. I don’t know much about Gnanduellet, he looks fairly physical, yet mobile, but perhaps lacks the quality to be championship player. Who knows though, as somebody else mentioned, he reminds me of Sodje, a player who always looked short on class, but who was often effective It would definitely be gamble, but given our position, a gamble that we may have to consider. 

You mean Akpo who played 41 games in 3 seasons scoring just 9. He was more injury prone that Hooper, Hutch and Luongo put together. Not to mention he liked to throw up before matches.

I think many fan look back at past players as being world class as opposed to dross. I have done it myself.

3 hours ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Barnsley are offering Wigan Athletic starlet Kyle Joseph a deal worth seven times his current wages. 

The Tykes are hoping to lure the youngster to Oakwell and have made him a strong offer, according to the The Sun on Sunday.

Never seen him play but heard good things about him. Apparently Barnsley have offered 400,000 plus add ons. 

8 minutes ago, room0035 said:

You mean Akpo who played 41 games in 3 seasons scoring just 9. He was more injury prone that Hooper, Hutch and Luongo put together. Not to mention he liked to throw up before matches.

I think many fan look back at past players as being world class as opposed to dross. I have done it myself.

Akpo didn’t throw up before matches that was Lloyd owusu ? Akpo while fit was a right handful unfortunate that was the case with most our strikers down the yrs ? We all want the same thing we can throw names in suggest whoever it boils down to finance and we ain’t got none left like I said yesterday shopping for journeyman injured prem players or young players with no proof they can do it at our level is where we at ? I’ll have a chuckle with you cus we really are a shambles uto