The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

18 hours ago, Chansiri is king said:

I remember Nigel Pearson , CB Williams , Phil King , Nigel Pearson all coming from lower league clubs and being megga successful !!! You just don’t know 

Football has moved on since the 80s very few players make it, Austin and vardy have but hundreds if not thousands haven't. At 28 never to play above league one standard, kind of answers you question.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Mick70 said:

We don’t seem to have much or no money not saying he would solve our problems cus he probably wouldn’t but having watched him at a match a few times he’d put himself about more than our current crop and that includes Paterson? I’m not sure wot our budget is and hope we can either loan some quality or pick a diamond up from abroad fingers x

If we have no money then but league one standard, that will eventually put us in league one. Barnsley and Rotherham have been doing it for years that why they spent most of their time in league one.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

If we have no money then but league one standard, that will eventually put us in league one. Barnsley and Rotherham have been doing it for years that why they spent most of their time in league one.

I put his name forward cus I’ve seen him play 4/5 times for Blackpool, like I said not saying he’d be the answer cus he probably wouldn’t? Teams like Brentford pick players from lower divisions and polish them sell them on? Unfortunately out scouting system nothing like them but looks like we starting to look at players below? As the Crewe link this am? No one knows if a player can play at a certain level till they have a go? Knockeart mitrovic Gayle and hector looked class in this league bog standard in prem other players make the jump easier? We’ve paid top dollar and ended up in a worse position than we’re we started ? We’ll try wickham and the likes who we’ll get cus they been injured so unless we find a gem on these shores or abroad gambles on lower league players is unfortunately the best we’ll get ! Just a question who’d you go for? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

I put his name forward cus I’ve seen him play 4/5 times for Blackpool, like I said not saying he’d be the answer cus he probably wouldn’t? Teams like Brentford pick players from lower divisions and polish them sell them on? Unfortunately out scouting system nothing like them but looks like we starting to look at players below? As the Crewe link this am? No one knows if a player can play at a certain level till they have a go? Knockeart mitrovic Gayle and hector looked class in this league bog standard in prem other players make the jump easier? We’ve paid top dollar and ended up in a worse position than we’re we started ? We’ll try wickham and the likes who we’ll get cus they been injured so unless we find a gem on these shores or abroad gambles on lower league players is unfortunately the best we’ll get ! Just a question who’d you go for? 

To pick up players from the lower leagues, you have to get them young enough. There will be the odd exception, but most of the bigger clubs won’t touch a player over 23. 

• Like 3

Just now, gurujuan said:

To pick up players from the lower leagues, you have to get them young enough. There will be the odd exception, but most of the bigger clubs won’t touch a player over 23. 

Agree totally like I said I mentioned gnagulait cus I’ve seen him play in the flesh 4/5 times he out of contract and imo would add something to our front line I’m not saying he’s the answer I’d ideally like a Orem player on loan but who? Also if the worst scenario happened he can play in league one and he not cost massive wages? I’m pleased we’ve been linked with the lad at Crewe at least it shows we might finally be going down a different path 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick70 said:

If we are scouting the lower league you look for potential, like the forward at Plymouth, or the lad we have been linked with at Crewe. Young players that have played a decent amount of games, but can be coached and improved. 

Chris Ogrady, Calvin Andrews, Kyle Laverty all league one free agents, all strikers, all put a shift in, all I would not touch with a barge pole, they have all been playing league 1 & 2 for years because they are that standard.

We as a club need to shift the way we recruit, either look to the lower leagues for young hungry players we can develop, or develop from within, I understand where you are coming from, you are just championing the wrong player.

• Like 2

Nothing wrong with picking up league one and two players. With a mix of experience already in the team and a couple of young PL cast offs then it’s totally possible to have a fully competitive team in the Championship. The trick is to bring in the right players. Some teams are capable of doing that right, just not us.

HUTCHINSON CLOSE TO WEDNESDAY RETURN

Sam Hutchinson is having a medical today as he closes in on a return to Sheffield Wednesday. 

He is available on a free transfer after leaving Pafos FC at the end of December.

Other Championship teams have shown some interest in signing him. Hutchinson, 31, was released by Wednesday last summer.

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

So far our “new” signings will be Green, Marriott and Hutchinson. None of them address our problems. Lot of work to do next week. 

Maybe they’ve addressed our lesser issues If we can bring in Harry Pickering and Erling Haaland next week, that should address the left back and centre forward issues

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If we are scouting the lower league you look for potential, like the forward at Plymouth, or the lad we have been linked with at Crewe. Young players that have played a decent amount of games, but can be coached and improved. 

Chris Ogrady, Calvin Andrews, Kyle Laverty all league one free agents, all strikers, all put a shift in, all I would not touch with a barge pole, they have all been playing league 1 & 2 for years because they are that standard.

We as a club need to shift the way we recruit, either look to the lower leagues for young hungry players we can develop, or develop from within, I understand where you are coming from, you are just championing the wrong player.

I’m not pushing for us to sign him? All I said is I’ve seen him play on numerous occasions and he MIGHT give give us more up top than who playing for us at this very moment? You or me have no idea whether he can or can’t play at this level .... cus he hasn’t? Now cus he hasn’t that would indicate that most scouts think he couldn’t? But until he does we can’t say he can’t! Until Toney Watkins and the like played at this level no one knew answer to that question either? Agree it’s more younger players we should be looking at and glad we starting to go down that route ? Let’s hope we get a proper striker in cus I’m not convinced any of ours will score enough to keep us up

You would hope that with teams above us picking up wins and us being 6 points from safety Chansiri would realise just how much crap we are in and would make sure we really improve the squad next week to give us any chance of staying up. So important we bring strikers in, we haven’t the goals in us to win enough games imo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mick70 said:

I’m not pushing for us to sign him? All I said is I’ve seen him play on numerous occasions and he MIGHT give give us more up top than who playing for us at this very moment? You or me have no idea whether he can or can’t play at this level .... cus he hasn’t? Now cus he hasn’t that would indicate that most scouts think he couldn’t? But until he does we can’t say he can’t! Until Toney Watkins and the like played at this level no one knew answer to that question either? Agree it’s more younger players we should be looking at and glad we starting to go down that route ? Let’s hope we get a proper striker in cus I’m not convinced any of ours will score enough to keep us up

Toney former Newcastle player who dropped down to league one and playing for a very attack minder Peterborough scored a lot of goals.

Watkins who came from a very good youth academy at Exeter moving to Brentford after scoring 13 goals in a season at the age of 21. 

Or  Armand Gnanduillet who after playing 2 season with Blackpool and scoring 25 goals was released and ended up in the Greek second division with a team I have never heard off. 

You made me chuckle thanks 😁😁😁

• Like 1

Interesting to see what that Pickering bid is worth,   Definitely someone we should be chasing 

Huge reservations from me, but told big chance Connor Wickham is back before window shuts