The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

16 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We signed about 6 duds in the summer. Blew our budget on the likes of Brown, Kachunga, Flint and Paterson.

I hope the above mentioned players prove me wrong this second half of the season.

They are going to need to. 

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

They are going to need to. 

Well flint won’t kachunga doesn’t look like he is and brown although looks promising is never fit ! That leaves the prolific Paterson to carry us through 😳😳 our summer rebuild ress as my was a  shambles! Even chased a 6”4 mobile target man up to last day then pulled out. As nd signed a 5’9 replacement instead! Who wasn’t fit then also got injured couldn’t make our transfer activity up 

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Off the top of my head, 2 players who are playing in the championship now, Whatmore and Kazim-Richards

had we signed either, you’d have been spitting feathers. Watmore was a crock at Sunderland, and Kazim-Richards is a 34yr-old journeyman.

I’ve not heard the interview, but usually when a manager says “we hope to get 1 or 2 new players in next week”, that can easily mean 3 or 4. It’s a bit like when people say “I’ve only done it a couple of times” and actually they mean “alright I put babestation on every night”.  

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

had we signed either, you’d have been spitting feathers. Watmore was a crock at Sunderland, and Kazim-Richards is a 34yr-old journeyman.

Obviously there were issues, that’s why they were free agents, but that’s where we are at right now. That’s the reason I’d consider the likes of Bony and Gnanduillet. 

30 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It’s a worry, it does seem that our strategy is short term, perhaps understandably so, and we will look to do this on the cheap. It still requires a more targeted approach, and if we have no money, why oh why did we spend £1m on Windass and Paterson. Better players were available as free agents. 

Lot bigger failures than Windass or Patterson. Kachunga ,Brown , Marriot and the lad from Man City have all failed to make an impression. To be honest I don't see where all these players better than Windass or Patterson freely avilable are ,and if they are there would we be their club of choice ? I definitely think you underate what Windass has to offer.

7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Obviously there were issues, that’s why they were free agents, but that’s where we are at right now. That’s the reason I’d consider the likes of Bony and Gnanduillet. 

Just make your peace with Paterson and Windass. Never know, they might grow on you, like Fletcher did.

lol

Can see us signing a semi fit Wickham again tbh.

This is why I take issue with all the ‘clear the players out in the summer’ brigade, as replacing them is easier said than done. Westwood coming back and the link with Hutchinson is testament to that.

Sure Reach is no Zico, but good luck replacing him with anyone near his quality on a free, especially with our track record. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We’ve been linked with Murphy haven’t we?

We’ve been linked with And we need are two very different things. We need a striker, we don’t really have one of those, wingers we have a few of. 

2 minutes ago, pussface said:

This is why I take issue with all the ‘clear the players out in the summer’ brigade, as replacing them is easier said than done. Westwood coming back and the link with Hutchinson is testament to that.

Sure Reach is no Zico, but good luck replacing him with anyone near his quality on a free, especially with our track record. 

Would think Reach and his agent have a fair few options in the pipeline. Just starting to show his true form now played in his correct position. Will be our loss as he moves on from the madness that is DCs Sheffield Wednesday. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, pussface said:

I said earlier in thread gnundulait cheap and although he not played at our level is a big mobile handful ? Wickham has undoubted ability but is hardly fit? Came back after lockdown looked strong fit quicker scored in first two games then got a knock again and back to square one? If palace looking to unload maybe him aswell as another?? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

We’ve been linked with And we need are two very different things. We need a striker, we don’t really have one of those, wingers we have a few of. 

Think harris getting sack mite put brakes on Murphy going anywhere now? To me big mobile striker the most important thing we need ? When the ball goes up front even Paterson doesn’t keep hold of it? We need someone like Nuhiu ( let’s not get started on that ? ) that can hold it and get rest of team up the pitch

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

I said earlier in thread gnundulait cheap and although he not played at our level is a big mobile handful ? Wickham has undoubted ability but is hardly fit? Came back after lockdown looked strong fit quicker scored in first two games then got a knock again and back to square one? If palace looking to unload maybe him aswell as another?? 

Wouldn’t say no to both, but with Marriott returning probably not.

Be interesting to see if he improves under NT.

Just now, pussface said:

Wouldn’t say no to both, but with Marriott returning probably not.

Be interesting to see if he improves under NT.

Think we had no option but to take him back under the loan agreement? Can’t for the life of me understand why we’d chance zohore all summer then pull out last min and go with Marriott? Hardly like for like are they ? Mind you all our business this summer made no sense? Signings the coaching staff coming then sack? We really are a basket case 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

Would think Reach and his agent have a fair few options in the pipeline. Just starting to show his true form now played in his correct position. Will be our loss as he moves on from the madness that is DCs Sheffield Wednesday. 

And Reach is 27, the perfect period for a footballer.

58 minutes ago, Mick70 said:

Well flint won’t kachunga doesn’t look like he is and brown although looks promising is never fit ! That leaves the prolific Paterson to carry us through 😳😳 our summer rebuild ress as my was a  shambles! Even chased a 6”4 mobile target man up to last day then pulled out. As nd signed a 5’9 replacement instead! Who wasn’t fit then also got injured couldn’t make our transfer activity up 

It's almost as if our transfer policy is being dictated by an agent rather than a football manager who knows how to put a team together.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Just make your peace with Paterson and Windass. Never know, they might grow on you, like Fletcher did.

lol

TBH one at least might turn it round, like Murphy did in the second half of last season.

Fox was another who had two and a bit poor seasons and then improved considerably.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

TBH one at least might turn it round, like Murphy did in the second half of last season.

Fox was another who had two and a bit poor seasons and then improved considerably.

Depends what our expectations of them are doesnt it. If it's 20 goals a season, we are always going to be disappointed aren't we.