The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

7 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Exactly.. I've long thought we need to be looking at players from leagues 1 & 2.

The likes of Brentford and Peterborough have been doing it successfully for years.

Peterborough sold Toney on for big money and replaced him with Clarke-Harris who many on here said we should have gone for in the summer. He's now top scorer in League 1.

I like the look of Mullin at Cambridge, got an eye for goal and top scorer in League 2.

Also Danny Johnson for Orient who looks a bit like a James Madison style player.

Instead we seem to go down the foreign route which hasn't been a success.

There are better players than the likes of JVA and Pelupessy to be found here in league 1.

Jorge Grant at Lincoln is another who’s worth a look.

We’ve neglected the lower leagues for years. While other teams seem to cherry pick the best and have success. 

God knows what our scouts do. Or if we even have any.

10 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Clarke-Harris was the perfect forward for us as I said in summer when Bristol Rovers were resigned to selling him.  Posh picked him up for next to nothing.

26, a unit, holds it up and knows where the net is.

Yep and they'll probably sell him on for millions.

27 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Clarke-Harris was the perfect forward for us as I said in summer when Bristol Rovers were resigned to selling him.  Posh picked him up for next to nothing.

I wanted us to sign Irish U-21 midfielder Jack Taylor, who at time was 20 years old and played over 100 times for Barnet. 6'1'' fella, strong and cultured on the ball but who moves well around the pitch, creates and scores goals.

As you can guess we weren't interested, Peterborough got him for 500k and after 20 games at that level he is worth at least 5 times that.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox
33 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

they paid over a million for him. That’s not ‘next to nothing’.

For me, perfect example would be something like this:

After getting converted to play as central midfielder 6'2'' Jon Mellish became goalscoring sensation at Carlisle. He is getting interest from many clubs, most notably Sunderland. It would be wise to check him out and if we like what we see to try and sign him. If we let player sign for Sunderland (as it was with Bradley Dack when he signed for Blackburn from Gillingham) we lost a chance to get him on favorable terms. If player like him works out and prove as a "real thing" - great, if not we could still offload him to Sunderland, or club like that for roughly what we paid and use same money to "gamble" on another prospect. Point is that working this way we can get  a lot and loose little.

Understand that both Mellish and Sunderland are used as an example of what we failed to do for years.

• Love 1

Just looking at Wilder’s signings for the pigs. 

Signed Baldock, Fleck, Lundstram and Clarke from League 1. Stevens from League 2. 

5 key players for very little from the lower leagues, a few championship rejects for nowt (Mcgoldrick, O’Connell) and got promoted automatically. Only really spent anything on Norwood and Egan. 

:duntmatter:

Just shows what a good manager can do with average players.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Signed Baldock, Fleck, Lundstram and Clarke from League 1. Stevens from League 2. 

5 key players for very little from the lower leagues, a few championship rejects for nowt (Mcgoldrick, O’Connell) and got promoted automatically. Only really spent anything on Norwood and Egan. 

Or that there are above average players in lower leagues who can get picked up fairly cheaply by smart clubs.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Shows the disconnect with our recruitment strategy and management. 

We've imported a couple of foreign managers with no knowledge of the lower leagues, aside from that Chansiri's been fixated on English managers with EPL experience.... then provided them with a squad of lower champ/league 1 level players.

There's good value in the lower leagues, not only does it need a recruitment department to scout them, but also a manager to improve them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, malek said:

I wanted us to sign Irish U-21 midfielder Jack Taylor, who at time was 20 years old and played over 100 times for Barnet. 6'1'' fella, strong and cultured on the ball but who moves well around the pitch, creates and scores goals.

As you can guess we weren't interested, Peterborough got him for 500k and after 20 games at that level he is worth at least 5 times that.

Wrong side of the curve for us. Wait another 10 years till he’s past his peak, got little resale value but still commanding a high salary then you’ll get your wish.

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Jorge Grant at Lincoln is another who’s worth a look.

We’ve neglected the lower leagues for years. While other teams seem to cherry pick the best and have success. 

God knows what our scouts do. Or if we even have any.

Yep it's a shame. As I said we just seem to go the foreign route when there are better players to be had here.

On 03/01/2021 at 12:39, daveyboy66 said:

Paterson to Firth Park Rangers over 35 side...no, scrap that ,he's too slow

I did actually think the other day what will Paterson be like in his 30's? He's already Darren Purse levels of slow.

One player I wondered about was Anthony Hartigan, heading for 100 league games at 20 years old.

The giant feeding frenzy looks set to take place at Preston with loads of them nearing the end of contract. Alan Browne anyone?

• Love 1

Just shows what a manager can achieve if you employ SMART recruitment.

• Like 1

To be fair mate, they’re not average players; it was excellent recruitment. 

• Like 2