The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

23 minutes ago, d-man said:

How else do you propose balancing the books? Signing frees on very low wages? Would you pay to watch that?

Not spunking £8m on Jordan Rhodes would have been a start.

Or if you're going to (because those pesky fans on social media really wanted you to), perhaps sell a player or two when their value is at its peak, rather than keeping them here until their contracts run out and we recoup the square root of zero.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Not spunking £8m on Jordan Rhodes would have been a start.

Or if you're going to (because those pesky fans on social media really wanted you to), perhaps sell a player or two when their value is at its peak, rather than keeping them here until their contracts run out and we recoup the square root of zero.

Hindsight is an amazing thing!

and I agree selling players is a great way of balancing the books, but ultimately can again divide opinion in the fan base if not replaced by an adequate replacement, or holding on to them genuinely believing you will reach the premier league!

again hindsight is soooooooo valuable!!

• Haha 1

Just now, d-man said:

I totally agree

i just don’t buy the common misconception that he is here to run our club into the ground! 

I believe he needs proper advisers, a good manager, great fans that we know the club has through thick and thin!

and then I believe he will succeed, would I want to change his media and press conference skills, absolutely not I love the fact he is honest and wears his heart on his sleeve! It’s so refreshing to see in a world where everything is geared towards appearing perfect and speaking from a script constructed by somebody else!

Agreed he isn’t here to run the club into the ground. He has come here to succeed. He hasn’t succeeded but that’s how it goes sometimes. 

As for the list of things to change to be successful, essentially your saying everything needs to be done differently apart from his personality. 

The big one is the advisors. I genuinely believe if he just asked Owlstalk to vote on everything he’s had to make a decision on things couldn’t have gone worse! 

I genuinely don’t know how you go about recruiting good advisors on how to run a Championship club in South Yorkshire, but so far the advice he has had hasn’t been great and really need to be better moving forward if we are to get out of this hole!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d-man said:

and I agree selling players is a great way of balancing the books, but ultimately can again divide opinion in the fan base if not replaced by an adequate replacement, or holding on to them genuinely believing you will reach the premier league!

Hindsight isn't needed to run a football club in a way which avoids transfer embargoes, points deductions, and having to sell the stadium.

The vast majority of chairmen manage it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, d-man said:

Sure, if we all has perfect hindsight we’d all be trillionairs but at the same time it seemed obvious to many at the time (me included) that the fact we were buying and buying and never selling couldn’t possibly be a great option in the medium term?

Surely you must have thought at the time when we bought Rhodes and did not get rid of at least one player in the same position that it was a bit odd?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

I currently watch every game (firestick) and can tell you performances are poor.

Even though we've won the last 3 games, the football content has been poor.

No wonder the club has no money with your dodgy firestick! 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Hindsight isn't needed to run a football club in a way which avoids transfer embargoes, points deductions, and having to sell the stadium.

The vast majority of chairmen manage it.

Other clubs have sold stadiums, had transfer embargo’s, and points deductions it’s not uncommon with all football clubs trying to get the premier league big bucks!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Sure, if we all has perfect hindsight we’d all be trillionairs but at the same time it seemed obvious to many at the time (me included) that the fact we were buying and buying and never selling couldn’t possibly be a great option in the medium term?

Surely you must have thought at the time when we bought Rhodes and did not get rid of at least one player in the same position that it was a bit odd?

I believe he has poo loads of money personally and the Jordan Rhodes signing was probably a drop in the ocean to his spending power!

FFP was brought in to stop these chairman trying to buy the league and make it more of an even playing field!

he has to make the club seem to be able to hold its own weight financially, which we know it hasn’t for a long time! 

14 minutes ago, Ray Von shabba said:

I currently watch every game (firestick) and can tell you performances are poor.

Even though we've won the last 3 games, the football content has been poor.

I need a link to that site you are watching the games on pal haha

7 minutes ago, d-man said:

Other clubs have sold stadiums, had transfer embargo’s, and points deductions it’s not uncommon with all football clubs trying to get the premier league big bucks!

Ah, that's okay then. Here I was thinking Chansiri had made a proper balls-up of running our club!

Out of interest though, just how many other Championship clubs do you believe have had: transfer embargoes, points deductions, and had to sell their stadium?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Ah, that's okay then. Here I was thinking Chansiri had made a proper balls-up of running our club!

Out of interest though, just how many other clubs do you believe have had: transfer embargoes, points deductions, and had to sell their stadium?

ALOT, forest and derby sold grounds!

wigan and rangers got demoted to the bottom level of Scottish football!

chelsea had a massive transfer embargo!

it happens

• Haha 1

Just now, d-man said:

ALOT, forest and derby sold grounds!

wigan and rangers got demoted to the bottom level of Scottish football!

chelsea had a massive transfer embargo!

it happens

Mmmmm-hmmm.

But how many have had transfer embargoes, points deductions, and had to sell their stadium?

Not individually; all three in a short space of time.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Mmmmm-hmmm.

But how many have had transfer embargoes, points deductions, and had to sell their stadium?

Not individually; all three in a short space of time.

I guess the moral of the story is it happens and isn’t uncommon in football

• Haha 1

I'm surprised we've not seen more US style trades considering the market we are in. Give Cardiff 6 months of Rhodes for 6 months of Cunningham plus some of Rhodes' retained salary as an example. We still each pay what we pay now and both get a player more likely to play in our first team. Then both walk on frees in June. 

Imagine If season is delayed by a couple of months and we have to play last 8 games without the 15 or so out of contract players

2 hours ago, d-man said:

Granted on all the points you have made, but do you believe he has made a return on his investment? 

all the points you raise are to bring more cash flow into the company which makes perfect sense to me, the wages have been hit by a pandemic that no one could have forecasted and as far as I’m aware he will make good on returning season ticket refunds as he has said and also make good on the wages owed to the players!

I don’t see who would be a better owner as it stands and sometimes I think it’s better the devil you know! 

I would prefer him not to put us in the situation to start with, the season ticket monies for last season should have been returned to the fans last season not 4 months a counting into this season and player should always be paid on time. With this just coming out now in the last few weeks it make you wonder now what affect something happening off the pitch was affecting the players performance on the pitch.

Don't get me wrong I am grateful for what DC has done for the club, but equally everyone except the chairman can see he needs help from people who know how to run a football club, not agents, not business advisors but footballing people because if you have not got a grasp of what you should be doing nearly 6 years into a job then you are in the wrong job. 

• Like 1