The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

18 minutes ago, d-man said:

...but you know as well as I do we all wanted Jordan Rhodes!

Simply not true. Not long ago I trawled through an old thread from when he was rumoured to be signing and there was far from a consensus, and numerous different reservations were put forward. Had most of us known the club's perilous financial predicament since, I'm sure many more would have expressed alarm. Unfortunately, trust in the chairman proved to be misplaced.

9 minutes ago, d-man said:

Everything he has done has been for the good of the club without taking into consideration the FFP gamble which hasn’t paid off due to our inability to win the big games when it counts!

I don’t believe he will take us backwards I believe he will take us forward once all this negativity and trolling stops and we pull together!

he was god worshipped when he first arrived and has delivered on his promises up to now, bar getting us in the premiership within the first or second season!

this managerial appointment is pivotal in how we move forward and this transfer window should give the manager the opportunity to make his Mark! I think it’s sensible DC is taking his time and hope he gets the right man!

WAWAW

If I ever have the misfortune of being in the dock accused of a crime, I will pay for you to represent me. What a thoroughly biased way of looking at the Chansiri era. His intentions are not particularly in doubt, but his judgement and competence most assuredly are. The circumstances that leave us with a threadbare squad, damaged reputation, points deduction and potential relegation may have been the consequence of many factors, but most of them reside in the SWFC boardroom, not the least of which are the spectacular levels of financial imprudence.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

It wasn’t a gamble re FFP, it was rule breaking.

I could gamble in getting richer by robbing my neighbour.  I don’t rob my neighbour as it is illegal . 

Wolves did it and it paid off massively!

hardly an accurate comparison to robbing someone’s house, trying to exploit a loop hole and get to the promised lands where the rules are completely different 

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

Simply not true. Not long ago I trawled through an old thread from when he was rumoured to be signing and there was far from a consensus, and numerous different reservations were put forward. Had most of us known the club's perilous financial predicament since, I'm sure many more would have expressed alarm. Unfortunately, trust in the chairman proved to be misplaced.

If I ever have the misfortune of being in the dock accused of a crime, I will pay for you to represent me. What a thoroughly biased way of looking at the Chansiri era. His intentions are not particularly in doubt, but his judgement and competence most assuredly are. The circumstances that leave us with a threadbare squad, damaged reputation, points deduction and potential relegation may have been the consequence of many factors, but most of them reside in the SWFC boardroom, not the least of which are the spectacular levels of financial imprudence.

Bang goes another nine-figure sponsorship deal!

:Chansiri:

I really don't know what you're complaining about - it'll all be fine once our 'friends' swing into action. I'm sure it'll be any minute now...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If Chansiri is so influenced by fans on social media, why hasn't he reduced pay on the day tickets to something more inline with what fans are asking for before now?

🤔

To sit inline with the money that is being spent at the club and I’m sure he has addressed that fact when it was brought up by the customers haha

sorry couldn’t help myself I ment fans!! 

2 minutes ago, d-man said:

Wolves did it and it paid off massively!

hardly an accurate comparison to robbing someone’s house, trying to exploit a loop hole and get to the promised lands where the rules are completely different 

Not a loop hole, a rule. 

we broke FFP rules and the chaos of the last 2.5 years is all down to that. 

7 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

Iv got your back mate if you need me!

granted he has been ill advised and put his trust in some sharks looking to bleed him dry! But I’m sure we have all been guilty of that! 

we won’t be relegated and the squad will flourish with the right man leading them!

17 minutes ago, prowl said:

D man. I was interested in your posts . You seem to have been a member of Owlstalk  since 2009 but you appear to have only started posting recently. Nice to hear from you and welcome.

You certainly seemed motivated to defend DC, every one of your posts relates to that subject. Never mind, if that's what it takes for you to join in, so be it.

Please feel free to give your views on a range of issues.

Thank you!

just passionate about our club and it’s amazing fan base!

just want it back the way it was with the fans backing the team and nearly breaking Wembley with the unrivalled support! 

31 minutes ago, d-man said:

If he was prudent and thinking soley business he would have jumped ship when we lost to Huddersfield on penalties because he has spunked more than 10 million on this club so far with no signs of a return!

he was merely trying to galvanise the squad with a player that has/had a PROVEN goal scoring record in the division and that the fans backed whole heartedly at the start! 

now because it hasn’t worked he has suddenly spunked a load of money at a pack of fruit pastels thinking he was buying a pack of after eights!!

Like i say people abdicate any responsibility when things go wrong, but you know as well as I do we all wanted Jordan Rhodes!

Change the bloody record !

Rhodes was just one mistake our disaster of an owner made , there are numerous other ones and at any other football club this would not be tolerated by the fanbase, if anything he's got away lightly with us lot !

5 minutes ago, d-man said:

To sit inline with the money that is being spent at the club and I’m sure he has addressed that fact when it was brought up by the customers haha

sorry couldn’t help myself I ment fans!! 

Ah, okay.

So when it comes to listening to fans who have no insight into the club's financial position, spending £8m on Jordan Rhodes makes the cut, but adjusting ticket prices misses out?

Convenient that, isn't it?

:duntmatter:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Bang goes another nine-figure sponsorship deal!

:Chansiri:

I really don't know what you're complaining about - it'll all be fine once our 'friends' swing into action. I'm sure it'll be any minute now...

I’m pretty sure the chairman once said at a Steering meeting we have friends to help in case we have FFP problems? Quite a few years back now during spendaggedon if I remember rightly. 

Apologies if I got this wrong because I can’t find reference to it online anymore. But I remember at the time putting a lot of faith in that comment and thinking we’d be fine. Guess I was naive. 

• Like 1

Revisionism does what exactly in terms of taking us forward ? We must face the Gloomy dawn steadfastly and realistically, Stop beating up all and sundry about the past. What is gone is gone !

But there was a clamour to bring in Rhodes. Equally there were those fewer in number that were nervous of such a move. That time has gone !  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Ah, okay.

So when it comes to listening to fans who have no insight into the club's financial position, spending £8m on Jordan Rhodes makes the cut, but adjusting ticket prices misses out?

Convenient that, isn't it?

:duntmatter:

How else do you propose balancing the books? Signing frees on very low wages? Would you pay to watch that?

7 minutes ago, d-man said:

How else do you propose balancing the books? Signing frees on very low wages? Would you pay to watch that?

To balance the books you’ve to got to sell players. Ideally at a profit, but even at a modest loss wouldn’t be too bad. Ticket pricing makes some difference (when there are fans anyway) but it’s selling players that sticks the millions in. 
Thats been a disaster for us unfortunately. 
So moving forward we’ve got to sell more frequently. Difficult when most of our good players contracts have been allowed to run down!

I think it’s fair enough to defend the chairman if you really believe what he’s done is on balance good, but to do better in the future you always have to learn the lessons of the past. 

As to the specific question, would I watch to pay a mix of free/ bargain signings? Yes. I would. And indeed have for many decades before DC arrived. 

I admire the Chairman’s ambition but the execution of the strategy really, really hasn’t worked. 

16 minutes ago, d-man said:

Brentford balanced the books by buying players who were good value and making sure to impose a coherent structure across the club. Barnsley have done the same, as have several others in this division.

DC has landed us in FFP trouble and at the bottom of the league by spunking millions on the likes of Rhodes. It's completely irrelevant if the fans want a chairman to sign a certain player, the best chairmen keep a rational head and make smart decisions. Do you think the reason Brentford signed Benrahma was because there was a groundswell among their fans to sign a striker playing in the French second tier?

But yeah, we're supposed to prefer to watch Wednesday because what, our squad is more expensive?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

To balance the books you’ve to got to sell players. Ideally at a profit, but even at a modest loss wouldn’t be too bad. Ticket pricing makes some difference (when there are fans anyway) but it’s selling players that sticks the millions in. 
Thats been a disaster for us unfortunately. 
So moving forward we’ve got to sell more frequently. Difficult when most of our good players contracts have been allowed to run down!

I think it’s fair enough to defend the chairman if you really believe what he’s done is on balance good, but to do better in the future you always have to learn the lessons of the past. 

As to the specific question, would I watch to pay a mix of free/ bargain signings? Yes. I would. And indeed have for many decades before DC arrived. 

I admire the Chairman’s ambition but the execution of the strategy really, really hasn’t worked. 

I totally agree

i just don’t buy the common misconception that he is here to run our club into the ground! 

I believe he needs proper advisers, a good manager, great fans that we know the club has through thick and thin!

and then I believe he will succeed, would I want to change his media and press conference skills, absolutely not I love the fact he is honest and wears his heart on his sleeve! It’s so refreshing to see in a world where everything is geared towards appearing perfect and speaking from a script constructed by somebody else!

• Thanks 1