The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

7 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Something being ‘Glaringly obvious’ doesn’t make it easy to do unfortunately!

I genuinely don’t think that the notion that we can ‘sacrifice one of our better players’ is anything like as easy to do as it is to write!

How can you swap Adam Reach + Tom Lees for say, Andre Ayew?

You have to find someone who needs and can afford our players.  The player has to agree and then you’ve got to get it contracted. Then for the players you want you’ve got to do the same. 
I did wonder if you meant human sacrifice, like the Aztecs used to do. In the round probably as easy to do as just swapping out one player for another like Panini stickers!

Obviously not as easy to do as to write....this isn't FIFA 21we are playing here, equally obvious that many clubs need a striker as well so that is more difficult than getting a central defender in

That said the need to fill that position shouldn't be news to anyone in the club, players included, so there has been time to progress this

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Every time we have played 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 or 3 centre backs we have look awful as a team, we do not have the player for the formation as we have no winger of quality at the club.

That leaves the tried and tester 4-4-2 and in that formation its too much of a risk for a team as close to the both 3 as we are playing a kid in that position. But if we do and he excels he will be worth a lot of money inside 18 months. 

We just need to wait for the new manager - hopefully Cook and the next few days so he can work with the players.

Exactly. But if a ball playing manager from abroad comes in though and he plays 352 for example. Then he isn't going to change his whole way of playing because Lees and Dunkley can't play out from the back. He will find people who can.

Just now, nbupperthongowl said:

Obviously not as easy to do as to write....this isn't FIFA 21we are playing here, equally obvious that many clubs need a striker as well so that is more difficult than getting a central defender in

That said the need to fill that position shouldn't be news to anyone in the club, players included, so there has been time to progress this

I guess we are making the same point really in different ways. 
It should be possible with planning, to sell to recruit. But when your decent players are all out of contract in a few months and on massive wages it’s hard (impossible) to generate any cash. Iorfa was probably our best hope of raising money this window and he’s now crocked.

I think we are in a weaker position than I’ve ever seen to get players in. 
The environment is also against us with generally low levels of movement this window. 
This is further complicated by the manager situation. How do you persuade clubs to lend you their assets when they don’t know if they are going to fit into the side? Clubs lend out to make sure there players get game time. We don’t even know who’s going to be in charge of the team. 
As for permanent players, again who’s going to sign for an unknown manager? Certainly not anyone with any other options that’s for sure!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, d-man said:

He is the figure head though, but we are the majority and I think we can bring the good times back!

I don’t think he is blaming I feel he is trying to get the point across albeit in the wrong way, but it’s obvious he talks from the heart and doesn’t have a publicist telling him what to say and how to say it!

I think he has made mistakes but who hasn’t, I’d rather have him here rather than have him driven out by a proportion of negative fans that look to pick wholes in whatever the club does, and frankly wouldn’t have the first clue what it takes to make anything successful! 

bring on the rest of the season and let the good times roll! WAWAW!!

DC does speak from the heart but he puts his foot in it time and time again. Media skills are about saying things that encourage people, avoiding things that upset people but still making your point.

MM was good at pulling the wool over peoples eyes, he soft soaped the fans every time he opened his mouth. Most loved him for it.

On a personal level I prefer something in the middle of those options.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, d-man said:

He is the figure head though, but we are the majority and I think we can bring the good times back!

I don’t think he is blaming I feel he is trying to get the point across albeit in the wrong way, but it’s obvious he talks from the heart and doesn’t have a publicist telling him what to say and how to say it!

I think he has made mistakes but who hasn’t, I’d rather have him here rather than have him driven out by a proportion of negative fans that look to pick wholes in whatever the club does, and frankly wouldn’t have the first clue what it takes to make anything successful! 

bring on the rest of the season and let the good times roll! WAWAW!!

He is still making the same mistake he was 5 years ago.

Every single profession team in the world has public relation teams I think you are being a bit one sided, fans asking for their money back after 9 months of waiting have been referred to as customers. Those fans will be around to pick up the piece of a football club long after DC as departed he is now referring to them as customers because they too have had enough of the continuing excuses for everything.

DC has not made an error or two he has made bucket loads.

Pricing the fans out of attending games with the POTG prices, alienating the local radio station over a few thousand pounds (before back tracking after the decision backfired), bring the shirt production in-house and taking 3 months into the season to get delivery, then charging a lot more for the same product, then made the same mistake the following season when the shirt were not ready for the party in the park or the start of the season, then the season after that changed all the sizing and caused yet more problems. We have been placed under 2 embargos that we know of, we have failed to file our financial information on time the last 2 years and still have no filed the figures from 2019 that the season 2018/19 two season ago. We have been docked points for financial mismanagement and could well get dock more points if the accounts come out showing big losses.

We are making losses of £20m a season and going backwarks, under Milan we were losing £5m a season and moving forwards slowly. We are no also homeless as after 120 years at our stadium the football club no longer owns the stadium which was sold to generate funds to help with the club losses.

He has wasted the best part of £150m of his money and the fans money to have a club worse than when he bought us 6 years ago. 

I will not mention the complete farce that was our 150th anniversary as you probably liked the cake.

You can slag off other fans if you wish, but I myself have always made sure my employees are paid on time and for the last 24 years in business not filed my financial figures late.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I guess we are making the same point really in different ways. 
It should be possible with planning, to sell to recruit. But when your decent players are all out of contract in a few months and on massive wages it’s hard (impossible) to generate any cash. Iorfa was probably our best hope of raising money this window and he’s now crocked.

I think we are in a weaker position than I’ve ever seen to get players in. 
The environment is also against us with generally low levels of movement this window. 
This is further complicated by the manager situation. How do you persuade clubs to lend you their assets when they don’t know if they are going to fit into the side? Clubs lend out to make sure there players get game time. We don’t even know who’s going to be in charge of the team. 
As for permanent players, again who’s going to sign for an unknown manager? Certainly not anyone with any other options that’s for sure!

I agree ..... we are in a real hole playing wise. We need to appoint a manager and let him have the final say in double quick time to get anything out of this window. If it's Thompson then that is fine, but make a decision.

Who knows what the market will be come the summer there may be loads of quality players out of work/ available and the new norm may be £4/5k p.w. in the championship, so we don't need to have cash to buy players, there could be no market. Then it is about meeting the players aspirations as the only mega-pay will be in the premier League. Maybe we can tap into this being a 'big club'....there again the whole of the EFL may be in administration....who knows

16 minutes ago, prowl said:

DC does speak from the heart but he puts his foot in it time and time again. Media skills are about saying things that encourage people, avoiding things that upset people but still making your point.

MM was good at pulling the wool over peoples eyes, he soft soaped the fans every time he opened his mouth. Most loved him for it.

On a personal level I prefer something in the middle of those options.

But the morale of the story is we have had some of the best times under chansiri (taking the league one promotion out of the equation which was an amazing day out).

yes he has made mistakes but who hasn’t, I do believe in him and feel he has the best intentions but unfortunately he is learning on the job!

I feel as a fan base we are the best in the world, we just need to ride these rocky times with the passion and optimism that the team needs and create those playoff finals atmosphere over and over again!

5 minutes ago, d-man said:

But the morale of the story is we have had some of the best times under chansiri (taking the league one promotion out of the equation which was an amazing day out).

yes he has made mistakes but who hasn’t, I do believe in him and feel he has the best intentions but unfortunately he is learning on the job!

I feel as a fan base we are the best in the world, we just need to ride these rocky times with the passion and optimism that the team needs and create those playoff finals atmosphere over and over again!

He's learning on the job after owning us for how many years?

8 minutes ago, d-man said:

I do believe in him and feel he has the best intentions but unfortunately he is learning on the job!

I'm sure he has the best of intentions and I too believed in him. Unfortunately he isn't learning on the job, he's had a lot of lessons but fails to heed them. Some people will not learn, they are too headstrong to do so.

I've given up hope this leopard will ever change his spots.

I no longer have faith in his leadership.

Edited by prowl
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, room0035 said:

He is still making the same mistake he was 5 years ago.

Every single profession team in the world has public relation teams I think you are being a bit one sided, fans asking for their money back after 9 months of waiting have been referred to as customers. Those fans will be around to pick up the piece of a football club long after DC as departed he is now referring to them as customers because they too have had enough of the continuing excuses for everything.

DC has not made an error or two he has made bucket loads.

Pricing the fans out of attending games with the POTG prices, alienating the local radio station over a few thousand pounds (before back tracking after the decision backfired), bring the shirt production in-house and taking 3 months into the season to get delivery, then charging a lot more for the same product, then made the same mistake the following season when the shirt were not ready for the party in the park or the start of the season, then the season after that changed all the sizing and caused yet more problems. We have been placed under 2 embargos that we know of, we have failed to file our financial information on time the last 2 years and still have no filed the figures from 2019 that the season 2018/19 two season ago. We have been docked points for financial mismanagement and could well get dock more points if the accounts come out showing big losses.

We are making losses of £20m a season and going backwarks, under Milan we were losing £5m a season and moving forwards slowly. We are no also homeless as after 120 years at our stadium the football club no longer owns the stadium which was sold to generate funds to help with the club losses.

He has wasted the best part of £150m of his money and the fans money to have a club worse than when he bought us 6 years ago. 

I will not mention the complete farce that was our 150th anniversary as you probably liked the cake.

You can slag off other fans if you wish, but I myself have always made sure my employees are paid on time and for the last 24 years in business not filed my financial figures late.

Granted on all the points you have made, but do you believe he has made a return on his investment? 

all the points you raise are to bring more cash flow into the company which makes perfect sense to me, the wages have been hit by a pandemic that no one could have forecasted and as far as I’m aware he will make good on returning season ticket refunds as he has said and also make good on the wages owed to the players!

I don’t see who would be a better owner as it stands and sometimes I think it’s better the devil you know! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

He's learning on the job after owning us for how many years?

Ok what perfect chairman do you know who will magically turn all of this so called disaster around? Red bull maybe, I’m sure that would just turn into a cooperate advertising machine with no personal touches what so ever! And they would jump ship as soon as the money dries up!

8 minutes ago, prowl said:

I'm sure he has the best of intentions and I too believed in him. Unfortunately he isn't learning on the job, he's had a lot of lessons but fails to heed them. Some people will not learn, they are too headstrong to do so.

I've given up hope this leopard will ever change his spots.

I no longer have faith in his leadership.

He has ploughed millions upon millions into the club with no sign of a return! I feel that gives him the right to make calls that we may not all like but it doesn’t mean he deserves the dogs abuse he gets!

he has listened to the fans in the past one example the Jordan Rhodes signing and that has been a total bust so we are all accountable for the circumstances it’s just he takes the brunt being the head of the business with others backing away and jumping to the negative gang!

it’s always easy to criticise, it’s a lot harder to stay positive and create the atmosphere that we all know made us Wednesday fans in the first place!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, d-man said:

He has ploughed millions upon millions into the club with no sign of a return! I feel that gives him the right to make calls that we may not all like but it doesn’t mean he deserves the dogs abuse he gets!

he has listened to the fans in the past one example the Jordan Rhodes signing and that has been a total bust so we are all accountable for the circumstances it’s just he takes the brunt being the head of the business with others backing away and jumping to the negative gang!

it’s always easy to criticise, it’s a lot harder to stay positive and create the atmosphere that we all know made us Wednesday fans in the first place!

Not one single fan begged the chairman to go out and sign Jordan Rhodes. Stop peddling this myth. 

I also want Lionel Messi but I wouldn’t want him if it meant the club would end up in successive transfer embargo’s and end up with a points deduction. The fans aren’t in control of the clubs finances - we put faith in the chairman to run the club responsibly. Something he failed to do. 

Rhodes was nothing more than a gamble by the chairman to get us to the Premier League. Because he knew full well if we didn’t, we would be in financial trouble. It was a last throw of the dice. It wasn’t because the fans wanted him. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Not one single fan begged the chairman to go out and sign Jordan Rhodes. Stop peddling this myth. 

I also want Lionel Messi but I wouldn’t want him if it meant the club would end up in successive transfer embargo’s and end up with a points deduction. The fans aren’t in control of the clubs finances - we put faith in the chairman to run the club responsibly. Something he failed to do. 

Rhodes was nothing more than a gamble by the chairman to get us to the Premier League. Because he knew full well if we didn’t, we would be in financial trouble. It was a last throw of the dice. It wasn’t because the fans wanted him. 

A gamble that would have been mitigated if we had put an option to buy in the contract instead of a guarantee to buy, which should have been dependant on promotion

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

So you didn’t want Jordan Rhodes then? You saying the fan base wasn’t crying out for him?

and all clubs gamble in that way look at wolves with Neves! They would have been royally screwed if they didn’t get up! So nothing new in that statement!

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Probably the worst line I've ever seen on Owlstalk.

At the time, it was a complete pipe dream to sign him. We never believed it would happen but Chansiri made it possible.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

A gamble that would have been mitigated if we had put an option to buy in the contract instead of a guarantee to buy, which should have been dependant on promotion

Exactly which we didn’t do.

It’s not up to the fans to look after the financial security of the club. This is the responsibility of the chairman. Signing Rhodes neglected that duty. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigash_swfc said:

Probably the worst line I've ever seen on Owlstalk.

At the time, it was a complete pipe dream to sign him. We never believed it would happen but Chansiri made it possible.

Seriously? Of course I was happy when we signed Rhodes.

But I also at the time had faith in the chairman that it wouldn’t cause us any issues down the line with FFP. It did. Like a lot of the spending did. We were told we didn’t have to worry about FFP because we had friends. 

Therefore why did we end up with two successive embargo’s, a points deduction and not owning the ground? 

3 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Exactly which we didn’t do.

It’s not up to the fans to look after the financial security of the club. This is the responsibility of the chairman. Signing Rhodes neglected that duty. 

No it was a signing of intent that backfired! 

3 minutes ago, d-man said:

So you didn’t want Jordan Rhodes then? You saying the fan base wasn’t crying out for him?

and all clubs gamble in that way look at wolves with Neves! They would have been royally screwed if they didn’t get up! So nothing new in that statement!

A sensible business man doesn’t give into the fans and spunk 10 million pounds on a forward when we had 6 at the club already. I’d love us to go sign a whole new squad right now, doesn’t mean it’s possible does it! 

Fans don’t have the responsibility, the chairman has. If the fans were privy to the financial side of things - we’d probably have said best to avoid Rhodes. 

I don’t understand why this is so hard for some people to get. It’s like your kid wanting another pack of fruit pastilles when he already had one pack an hour ago. Just because he wants one doesn’t mean you should give it him, as a sensible adult you realise another pack would be bad for his teeth and could send him hyper ffs. 

• Like 3