The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Tells you all you need to know about the player. 

He’d rather sit on on his back side without pay for 5 months than involve himself in a battle for survival  in the Championship. We’ve dodged a bullet with him.

True, and his form in the last few years meant that clubs weren’t going to be queuing at his door. Maybe that was the issue though, perhaps we only offered him a deal until the end of the season? 
Correctly in my opinion, there’s a risk with a lot of these players who have been out of the game, so we don’t want to be offering them two year deals, without them having to prove themselves first.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Jackson Irvine might be going to Hibs after rejecting a move to Wednesday last summer.  

Can we add players preferring to play for Hibs over Wednesday in the things we hate about modern football

Good, not the right attitude we need and not that good. 

Surprised we were linked in the first place...the additional cost of shampoo for him and Wildsmith alone would have FFP implications 

lol

19 hours ago, malek said:

Still makes no sense to offer 1 year deal to player of Shaw's age, quality and potential. Guess we will offer 2 or 3 years deals on much higher wages to likes of Bannan, Reach, Lees...

But we don't know what deal has ben offered, to any of the players. It's just what someone on owlstalk is saying...

• Haha 1

I think there’s an excellent chance we will not sign anyone. Not a single player. 
I thought the good form we have been in might have made us more attractive to join. But I’m starting to think it might have created just a bit of additional complacency in the club that we have enough in the tank to make it out of trouble with what we have. 
We haven’t off loaded Rhodes (or indeed anyone) which means there is still the same pressure on the wage budget.

I am still hoping something is pulled out of the bag, ideally a striker, but can easily see it won’t happen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I think there’s an excellent chance we will not sign anyone. Not a single player. 
I thought the good form we have been in might have made us more attractive to join. But I’m starting to think it might have created just a bit of additional complacency in the club that we have enough in the tank to make it out of trouble with what we have. 
We haven’t off loaded Rhodes (or indeed anyone) which means there is still the same pressure on the wage budget.

I am still hoping something is pulled out of the bag, ideally a striker, but can easily see it won’t happen. 

I think it is glaringly obvious that we need a striker even if we have to sacrifice one of our better players to get one in, in some ways the results recently paper over the cracks

• Like 2

On 09/01/2021 at 01:43, Kendo Nagasaki said:

WTF apologies for coming in strong. 
But open? is this a wind up ? When has this chairman been open other than his alleged rants/statements consisting of half truths and accusations belittling the supporters contributions..Why should we as a fan base accept mediocrity when we pay top dollar. Yes he bank rolls the club at present but we are further from the Premiership than when he took over despite the fans now paying one of the highest prices in the league. Accept criticism where it’s due and please stop having a go at the fan base. UTO 

The fact of the matter is he doesn’t have to say anything, he doesn’t have to have any sort of presence at all (he could just sit back and let someone else be the fall guy, but he comes out and speaks) if I was looking to buy into a business and all I heard from the workforce or customer base was negative comments and how bad things are dam right I wouldn’t be investing! I think everyone needs to pull together, the chairman, the staff, the players, the fans, like the Carlos days when bannan and hector travelled to games and watched in the stands with supporters! Everyone has a part to play but as fans we are the majority and can really get behind it all and create that atmosphere again, and make Hillsborough a place every player dreams of playing (well once we are allowed back in) WAWAW

Guest wilyfox
24 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

i still think we’ll get someone in, hopefully a striker and winger. We can plug holes elsewhere in the team if needs be, but must sign more quality top end.

Probably THE toughest window to recruit in though. Foreign market is probably out as too risky plus permit problems. Champ clubs will be reluctant to part with players with COVID leaving them short on numbers come game day. Leaves peripheral prem players, costly, and many clubs will be after the same players. May not be enough to go around.

5 minutes ago, d-man said:

The fact of the matter is he doesn’t have to say anything, he doesn’t have to have any sort of presence at all (he could just sit back and let someone else be the fall guy, but he comes out and speaks) if I was looking to buy into a business and all I heard from the workforce or customer base was negative comments and how bad things are dam right I wouldn’t be investing! I think everyone needs to pull together, the chairman, the staff, the players, the fans, like the Carlos days when bannan and hector travelled to games and watched in the stands with supporters! Everyone has a part to play but as fans we are the majority and can really get behind it all and create that atmosphere again, and make Hillsborough a place every player dreams of playing (well once we are allowed back in) WAWAW

You make some very good valid points, but for everyone to pull together it must start from the top. If you want people to buy in to what you want you don’t blame them publicly when things aren’t right, you cannot tell people you have to guide and cajole and be the figurehead that people want to follow. It all feels a little dictatorial at present but yes I would love all the club to be pulling in the same direction. Thanks for the reply. UTO 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

He has played well these last two games and showed alot more promise there than he has in midfield I believe. Be interested to see where we think his future is when everyone is fit again.

Without team injuries, I'd see Shaw screening the defence when we don't have the ball and given licence to play when we do have it, though recognise injuries mean we need hin in defence now.  He may end up a defender, but for now he has a mistake or two in him.  He could get away with more in midfield.

• Like 2

just dont know whats happening ,we all know that pulis was promised players in jan and chansiri told him no money , with the games coming thick and fast again we need a minimum of 4 players , striker ,winger ,left back centre half . the club goes down otherwise and if you now know the rules regards wages in league 1 and 2 you will know every club is almost equal ,ie sunderland having a 50000 stadium wont allow them to pay more wages than any other club 

13 minutes ago, G-Reg said:

Without team injuries, I'd see Shaw screening the defence when we don't have the ball and given licence to play when we do have it, though recognise injuries mean we need hin in defence now.  He may end up a defender, but for now he has a mistake or two in him.  He could get away with more in midfield.

The problem with him in defense is if Lees, Dunkley, Iorfa, Borner are fit he won't play.

In Central midfield we have a very unreliable Luongo who is more injury prone than Hutch, Bannan who plays if fit and Pelupessy who is league 1 standard at best, 1 injury (to Luongo) and we are thin on numbers so having a young energetic home grown player in the team give us some cover. It is clear to see the FDB is not ready yet and needs to be loaned out as does Hunt.

For me lets start the week off well by the club announcing that Shaw has been signed up to a new 3 or 4 year deal with the club.

Then hopefully we will have a new manager in before the next game and being really greedy we might even sign a player - hopefully someone to put the ball in the net.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, morganowl said:

just dont know whats happening ,we all know that pulis was promised players in jan and chansiri told him no money , with the games coming thick and fast again we need a minimum of 4 players , striker ,winger ,left back centre half . the club goes down otherwise and if you now know the rules regards wages in league 1 and 2 you will know every club is almost equal ,ie sunderland having a 50000 stadium wont allow them to pay more wages than any other club 

When you have a salary cap - in time its is normally the better run clubs that rise to the top, you can have a bigger stadium, better training facility, a chairman with millions but when there is a cap in place every team is on the same footing.

Some will not like to hear it, but the way the club is currently run and this is using what has happened over the last 5 years we are going to struggle to compete with everyone on an even footing. It is so important that by what ever means we do not get relegated but without investment in the team in January we are going to struggle to stay up.

We have done really well these last 5 games but equally we have played more games than all the teams around us. We need 4 to 6 points from the next two relegation 6 pointers and we need a striker in asap that can put the ball in the net.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

The problem with him in defense is if Lees, Dunkley, Iorfa, Borner are fit he won't play.

In Central midfield we have a very unreliable Luongo who is more injury prone than Hutch, Bannan who plays if fit and Pelupessy who is league 1 standard at best, 1 injury (to Luongo) and we are thin on numbers so having a young energetic home grown player in the team give us some cover. It is clear to see the FDB is not ready yet and needs to be loaned out as does Hunt.

For me lets start the week off well by the club announcing that Shaw has been signed up to a new 3 or 4 year deal with the club.

Then hopefully we will have a new manager in before the next game and being really greedy we might even sign a player - hopefully someone to put the ball in the net.

If our new manager is one who likes to play out from the back then he will probably play Shaw as one of the centre backs.

12 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

If our new manager is one who likes to play out from the back then he will probably play Shaw as one of the centre backs.

He has done well covering the last few games but if Our new manager want to play out from the back and everyone is fit Shaw won't play because with youth comes in-experience and when you are outside the bottom three on goal difference you stick with experience players.

For me he could be a very good player but equally he needs to stick in a position and get 20 or 30 games under his belt, class him as 1 or 6 options at the back and he is not going to get much time on the pitch. Play him as an energetic midfielder he is going to play a lot this season, and when Dunkley or Borner go forward there is nothing stopping him filling in as cover. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

He has done well covering the last few games but if Our new manager want to play out from the back and everyone is fit Shaw won't play because with youth comes in-experience and when you are outside the bottom three on goal difference you stick with experience players.

For me he could be a very good player but equally he needs to stick in a position and get 20 or 30 games under his belt, class him as 1 or 6 options at the back and he is not going to get much time on the pitch. Play him as an energetic midfielder he is going to play a lot this season, and when Dunkley or Borner go forward there is nothing stopping him filling in as cover. 

But what I am saying know is a new manager who insists on playing out from the back may decide Shaw has to play centre back as he is the best to do it. Its more likely to be in a three if that's the case though.  Basically what I am saying is he may look at everyone in training and decided Shaw is the best for the role. 

39 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I think it is glaringly obvious that we need a striker even if we have to sacrifice one of our better players to get one in, in some ways the results recently paper over the cracks

Something being ‘Glaringly obvious’ doesn’t make it easy to do unfortunately!

I genuinely don’t think that the notion that we can ‘sacrifice one of our better players’ is anything like as easy to do as it is to write!

How can you swap Adam Reach + Tom Lees for say, Andre Ayew?

You have to find someone who needs and can afford our players.  The player has to agree and then you’ve got to get it contracted. Then for the players you want you’ve got to do the same. 
I did wonder if you meant human sacrifice, like the Aztecs used to do. In the round probably as easy to do as just swapping out one player for another like Panini stickers!

25 minutes ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

You make some very good valid points, but for everyone to pull together it must start from the top. If you want people to buy in to what you want you don’t blame them publicly when things aren’t right, you cannot tell people you have to guide and cajole and be the figurehead that people want to follow. It all feels a little dictatorial at present but yes I would love all the club to be pulling in the same direction. Thanks for the reply. UTO 

He is the figure head though, but we are the majority and I think we can bring the good times back!

I don’t think he is blaming I feel he is trying to get the point across albeit in the wrong way, but it’s obvious he talks from the heart and doesn’t have a publicist telling him what to say and how to say it!

I think he has made mistakes but who hasn’t, I’d rather have him here rather than have him driven out by a proportion of negative fans that look to pick wholes in whatever the club does, and frankly wouldn’t have the first clue what it takes to make anything successful! 

bring on the rest of the season and let the good times roll! WAWAW!!

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

But what I am saying know is a new manager who insists on playing out from the back may decide Shaw has to play centre back as he is the best to do it. Its more likely to be in a three if that's the case though.  Basically what I am saying is he may look at everyone in training and decided Shaw is the best for the role. 

Every time we have played 3-5-2 or 5-4-1 or 3 centre backs we have look awful as a team, we do not have the player for the formation as we have no winger of quality at the club.

That leaves the tried and tester 4-4-2 and in that formation its too much of a risk for a team as close to the both 3 as we are playing a kid in that position. But if we do and he excels he will be worth a lot of money inside 18 months. 

We just need to wait for the new manager - hopefully Cook and the next few days so he can work with the players.

40 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

i still think we’ll get someone in, hopefully a striker and winger. We can plug holes elsewhere in the team if needs be, but must sign more quality top end.

Probably THE toughest window to recruit in though. Foreign market is probably out as too risky plus permit problems. Champ clubs will be reluctant to part with players with COVID leaving them short on numbers come game day. Leaves peripheral prem players, costly, and many clubs will be after the same players. May not be enough to go around.

I hope your right and we do manage to get players in. Your point about this being the toughest window does ring true as there seems to be as little movement as I’ve ever soon in the market. The only benefit of that is everyone else is in the same boat so I guess it makes recruitment just as hard for our competitors trying to avoid the drop!