The GuruJuan Transfer Megathread 2021 (and beyond)

Guest wilyfox

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

He could be.however just like with Iorfa I think eventually we will realise that Shaw's best position is centre back. So I want him playing there now as much as we can.  

Whenever Sam Hutchinson played centre-back he looked good and he was less likely to get a red card in that position aswell, Shaw is the same. His game seems alot more controlled at centre back and the ability he has to come out with the ball is a asset that gets you noticed in that position like it did yesterday. 

I recon we could have a good midfielder on our hands in Shaw but a potential top centre back.

Not for me. He’s just not a CB in my opinion. He has lots of great attributes, but composure, heading, reading game, positioning are not there IMO just yet. 

He’s got the stature, but I’d rather he used that in the middle of the park and we started having a dynamic, athletic midfield that could compete physically as well as play football. 

All about opinions though. I hope he gets game time in one position, wherever that may be and he develops nicely for next season. 

Players like him, Penney and Hunt could be pivotal next term if we are on a budget or relegated, so I hope they play or get loaned out. 

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, Minton said:

I'd like us to go all in on Luke Jephcott. 

I'd like us to, but we won't.

We won't be signing anyone until the new manager starts then it will be short term loans. 

A player like Jephcott I like, one that could be for the future, but we just are not that club currently.

Liam Shaw has great potential, not to mention could make us a few quid in the future will get a 1 year deal I would sign him to at least 3 he will only be in a few grand a week. Lees, Bannan, Reach will be 2 or 3 years on £20k + a week.

Until we value youth and development as a club nothing will change.

I do have to stay though well done yesterday will a makeshift team a lot of the youngsters stepped up for the team. Brennan looked a rock next to Shaw and Galvin looks like he is ready for the next level maybe a loan would develop him further. Let's hope all 3 get the time and the chance to develop.

14 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Not for me. He’s just not a CB in my opinion. He has lots of great attributes, but composure, heading, reading game, positioning are not there IMO just yet. 

He’s got the stature, but I’d rather he used that in the middle of the park and we started having a dynamic, athletic midfield that could compete physically as well as play football. 

All about opinions though. I hope he gets game time in one position, wherever that may be and he develops nicely for next season. 

Players like him, Penney and Hunt could be pivotal next term if we are on a budget or relegated, so I hope they play or get loaned out. 

I agree for me he's a midfielder but playing in defence will improve his positioning and he defensive ability which will in turn improve him as a midfielder.

He reminds me a bit like an Ian Taylor type player, similar gangly style, but skillful, with and engine to get up and down the pitch and also score and create a few goals. 

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

Liam Shaw has great potential, not to mention could make us a few quid in the future will get a 1 year deal I would sign him to at least 3 he will only be in a few grand a week. Lees, Bannan, Reach will be 2 or 3 years on £20k + a week.

Until we value youth and development as a club nothing will change.

Why do you think we are offering Shaw 1 year deal ? It would be totally insane if true and further point that this club is run by a lunatic  with poo for brains playing real life Football Manager with our beloved club.

15 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

All the stuff he needs can be taught.

He has a unique attribute though which gets you noticed and makes you a 20m defender. The ability to come out with the ball from the back comfortably. 

We need to be playing him at centre back and realising the potential we have in him there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

He has a unique attribute though which gets you noticed and makes you a 20m defender. The ability to come out with the ball from the back comfortably. 

We need to be playing him at centre back and realising the potential we have in him there. 

If he’s a goal scoring/assist making box to box midfielder who can help out at the back that’s worth a few quid too! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, malek said:

Why do you think we are offering Shaw 1 year deal ? It would be totally insane if true and further point that this club is run by a lunatic  with poo for brains playing real life Football Manager with our beloved club.

Limited finances in current club, shorter contracts are being offered across the EFL. There is currently no money in the game and sadly things will get worse for many clubs before things improve.

4 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Defenders usually go for less money than midfielders.

In my opinion he got far more potential to carve good career for himself as a goalscoring box to box midfielder than as a center back. But, it is only my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Like I say he lacks far too much to be a competent CB at this level at this moment. We also have Dunkley, Iorfa, Lees, JvA, Palmer who are all more competent than him there. could he learn it, maybe. 

At CM we have Bannan, Joey, Luongo and Fizz. Is he already good enough to challenge those for a starting slot. 

He’s a big lad, but he’s not physical enough to be a CB. Doesn’t possess the know how to rely on positioning to get by that way either. He’ll be very much exposed in a long run as a starting CB pairing. Maybe in a three. But still he’d be the week link targeted and ruined before he has a chance to develop IMO. 

He’s flavour of month right now and rightly so. But a few bad games and he’s the bee calamity Cam. Our fans be on his back... let him develop in a position he’s more suited to. Box to box midfielder.

Him Luongo and A N Other could be a great trio next term. Or him and Luongo with two good singers may be a great 4 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Asio otus said:

Limited finances in current club, shorter contracts are being offered across the EFL. There is currently no money in the game and sadly things will get worse for many clubs before things improve.

Still makes no sense to offer 1 year deal to player of Shaw's age, quality and potential. Guess we will offer 2 or 3 years deals on much higher wages to likes of Bannan, Reach, Lees...

8 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Like I say he lacks far too much to be a competent CB at this level at this moment. We also have Dunkley, Iorfa, Lees, JvA, Palmer who are all more competent than him there. could he learn it, maybe. 

At CM we have Bannan, Joey, Luongo and Fizz. Is he already good enough to challenge those for a starting slot. 

He’s a big lad, but he’s not physical enough to be a CB. Doesn’t possess the know how to rely on positioning to get by that way either. He’ll be very much exposed in a long run as a starting CB pairing. Maybe in a three. But still he’d be the week link targeted and ruined before he has a chance to develop IMO. 

He’s flavour of month right now and rightly so. But a few bad games and he’s the bee calamity Cam. Our fans be on his back... let him develop in a position he’s more suited to. Box to box midfielder.

Him Luongo and A N Other could be a great trio next term. Or him and Luongo with two good singers may be a great 4 

Yeah I get what you are saying a mistake at the back and it's costly. 

I just though he played better at centre back then he did in midfield and the ability to bring the ball out from the back like that is something very few centre backs are able to do.

• Like 1

Box to box midfielders are rare as rocking horse poop.

19 year old box to box midfielders who have all the attributes needed are even rarer.

Lots of midfielders can be good going forward, can pick a pass or have a bit of skill and flair and stay calm in front of goal.

Lots can put in a tackle and have a good engine, are decent in the air and have some pace when needed.

Very few have all of the above.

Shaw has demonstrated this season he has the lot. At 19.

He is far from the finished article but to have those attributes to be a true box to box midfielder akin to Gerrard is a rare thing indeed.

Not saying he is on that level of course but the attributes are all there to see. Needs to keep his feet on the ground  and keep working hard. Needs a good coaching and management. 

Needs to sign a long term contract here and play matches.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Southsea Owl said:

I believe his future is definitely midfield. For this season if we can get some CB’s back then I would try him up front. Love his physicality and yesterday showed he can keep the ball and be aware of what is happening around him.

One area of his game where he his really strong his arriving in the box at the right time seen him score some really decent goals over the last 3 years put this along side of the way he travels around the pitch he's a natural box to box player

• Love 1

Guest Hornsby

Any new manager would want Cosgrove upfront.

For price of Pulis compensation, he'll be worth £10 million in a couple of seasons.

16 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

You saying this does come on the back of so really good performances from Lees recently. 

I personally think him and Shaw would be good as a back two if we decided to stick with four at the back. Iorfa to come in when fit. 

Odubajo  Lees  Shaw  Galvin.

I like the look of that at the minute.

Shaw isn't really a defender, his future is in midfield where he can influence the game more. Ideally as a box to box player.

He'd be wasted as a CB, would you play him instead of Iorfa and Dunkley? I wouldn't.

• Like 4