Barry Bannan - Heroic

Never understand the hate this guy gets. He's vocal, passionate and is one of the few players that actually seem to care when on the pitch.

Everything we do revolves around him and how he plays. If he plays well, we have a good game. If he doesn't, we seem to struggle.

I'm hoping Bannan has taken Hunt on as an apprentice. I know Bannan rates Hunt very highly and it would be nice to have a Bannan in development

• Like 2

He is such a talented player. I’ve been critical because he does so much of his best work in the wrong part of the pitch. 

He’s probably being asked to sit deep, but can you imagine if BB was allowed to run the show from within the opposite’s half. Need to build a team around him and let him do his work where it hurts. The fancy stuff in our half is just good to look at. 

• Like 2

Just now, FreshOwl said:

Talked about BB so much. He’s a luxury player when you’re in a crap team like now. But anyone doubting his importance is crazy.

That blind ball to Harris in the first half the other night 😍

That got me going. So perfectly weighted 🤤

46 minutes ago, thekimmyowl said:

I certainly am not in the BB fan club, 

the guy is extremely talented and works hard no doubt, but for a player of his ability he underachieves massively, his passing stats may well be the highest at the club but that is because he is given the ball at every opportunity, his passing often is poor and his set pieces are abysmal, even the goal we scored from was a poor delivery against Derby, his cross field ridiculous pass almost cost us the 3 points, he often berates players for mistakes (especially the youngsters) yet waves a hand when he does a fk up.

I honestly would rather see Izzy Brown in that position right now.

Ok I’ll bite, on what planet is Izzy Brown a better CM than Barry bannan?

Both Monk and Pulis haven’t had him anywhere near starting XI, and my nans one step away from making an appearance with how thin our squad is! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thekimmyowl said:

I certainly am not in the BB fan club, 

the guy is extremely talented and works hard no doubt, but for a player of his ability he underachieves massively, his passing stats may well be the highest at the club but that is because he is given the ball at every opportunity, his passing often is poor and his set pieces are abysmal, even the goal we scored from was a poor delivery against Derby, his cross field ridiculous pass almost cost us the 3 points, he often berates players for mistakes (especially the youngsters) yet waves a hand when he does a fk up.

I honestly would rather see Izzy Brown in that position right now.

I sometimes wonder if I watch the same game as others. Bannans set pieces were absolutely spot on against Derby and his one below par one we still scored from.

Some of his passing was sublime as well. 

Personally I also don't have an issue with our captain being vocal with others. That's his job.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Those five passes which went astray is because the receiving player/s didn't read the situation.  Wish we had a few more players with his ability and passion.

When Bazza plays it into touch it’s the other players fault?

😂😂😂

To be fair to Bannan, Yes I agree passes do, at times go astray, but you have to remember what he is surrounded by, and just how hard it is for this team to actually score a bloody goal, let alone win games.

Theres a dstinct lack of intelligent movement, especially up front, little pace, and almost no "cunning", timing or foresight.

It leads to "Hail Mary" balls, trying things that have little chance of coming off.

When he played next to Lee, Lee moved, made space, ran into the box...JP doesn't do that, Reach and Harris mainly stay out wide...Rhodes has no pace, and his "cunning" he left at Huddersfield.

So look at the options.

They are extremely limited...

I wouldn't be surprised if Bannan left...I would be even more surprised if fans wanted him to

3 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Ok I’ll bite, on what planet is Izzy Brown a better CM than Barry bannan?

Both Monk and Pulis haven’t had him anywhere near starting XI, and my nans one step away from making an appearance with how thin our squad is! 

I never said Brown was better, I just feel moving Brown centrally may give us something different, he has more presence height, better at set pieces.

id put BB on the left and see how things play out, we have finally started picking up points but let’s not get carried away that we’ve turned a corner, Derby should’ve been out of sight and fair play to our lads for sticking at it.

People expect a lot from him every game, alas he is man marked a lot of the time as opposites believe he’s the only player we have capable of making something happen...how right they are! We should be thankful we’ve still got him and that he’s giving his all (if Friday v Derby is anything to go by).

As i see it he must be the most consistent player with the most appearances over the last 5 years, he has battled through thick and thin with the odd head down time but wouldnt anyone with what we have been through, deserves top marks in my eyes, well done BB and keep it going.

• Like 2