Paul Cook

Just now, wilyfox said:

I would not be anti-Cook, but suspect Windass would be. May cause a problem there.

My thoughts too, maybe that's where the transfer link came from. Although you'd think two professionals should be able to work together. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, striker said:

Each to their own. Thompson's done great, but don't expect that to last, as with Bullen in previous caretaker roles. 

Cook’s record isn’t that bad and if we go down, he’s the type of manager who would stand a chance of taking us straight back up but it’s a coach we need not a manager.

You only have to look at what Thompson has done in a short space of time with this squad. He encourages and cajoles which this squad will respond to. Cook already has issues with Windass and it wouldn’t be long before he had issues with others? Let’s face it with a voice like his, he’s hardly softly spoken?

If he gets it, I hope he proves me wrong but I can only see another car crash if DC appoints another British Manager from outside the club?

15 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

We should be, but I don’t think we have that culture as a club at all.

The “we’re just little old Chesterfield, Wigan, Sheffield United” type line doesn’t really fit here.

Like when Evans was a fish out of water at Leeds 

The chairman's actions in recent years have definitely earned us the right to call ourselves underdogs, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I’d prefer a foreign coach, but I wouldn’t be totally adverse to a Cook appointment. Certainly don’t have the same reservations that I did when we were chasing Pulis Hope though, it’s based on something more than those last dozen games in charge of Wigan. That was a phenomenal run, but what had gone before was dire

Lol them winning league 1 in his first season was absolutely dire. He did well

enough with a newly promoted small

club. He’s the only British manager on the list who is realistic and has a good enough track record. If not him it will

be a hit or miss foreign manager 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Cook’s record isn’t that bad and if we go down, he’s the type of manager who would stand a chance of taking us straight back up but it’s a coach we need not a manager.

You only have to look at what Thompson has done in a short space of time with this squad. He encourages and cajoles which this squad will respond to. Cook already has issues with Windass and it wouldn’t be long before he had issues with others? Let’s face it with a voice like his, he’s hardly softly spoken?

If he gets it, I hope he proves me wrong but I can only see another car crash if DC appoints another British Manager from outside the club?

I can’t really see how the last couple of games have been any different to under Pulis.. we’ve got the results yes, but got on the right side of the margins. Yesterday I can only remember 2 or 3 attacks and we scored one scrappy goal. Derby had 3 really easy chances in the first half an hour and we got lucky. Not complaining but I can’t see what Thompson has done that’s much different 

Cook is the right appointment at the right time.

He will galvanise the fan base, the players and more importantly take us up the league. He plays fast attacking football which is a joy to watch and he’s a character in himself. 

He ticks all the boxes, watched his Chesterfield team quite a few times and never failed to impress and when he saw a problem he fixed it. 

• Like 3

"Cook has tended to put his trust in a 4-2-3-1 formation during his managerial career, especially over the last couple of years at Wigan. He makes use of a sturdy double-pivot to help protect a traditional back four, with a physically robust defensive structure all-in-all.

The focus is on defending first and going from there, which was particularly successful in the final weeks of last season, in which Cook’s Latics registered 10 clean sheets from the last 14 matches.

Last term, in particular, their play was geared around the out-ball to towering Wales international Kieffer Moore up front. Only Preston and QPR completed more long balls in the Championship last term."

• Thanks 1