Harris ‘penalty’ and VAR

It obviously isn't a penalty under the way the laws have been interpreted in the past 150 years in the UK.

However in the Premier League it would probably have been given as a penalty (definitely in the first few weeks of the season, probably still now), because for reasons that are a crock of shít - i.e. they have decided to change the rules in that league (and many of the other top leagues over Europe) to a worse version of football.

It seems that attackers look for it, with that chipped ball toward the midrif. They’re not even looking to cross really.

The Spurs v Liverpool champs league final seemed to set a precedent on it. So if it happens there seems to be pressure to give a pen. But that last night was ball to hand.

11 hours ago, JOCOWl said:

Nailed on pen if VAR was involved. Keith Andrews will be gutted, spoilt his night. He thought they should have had 2 pens for it.....why does he hate us? 

Blokes a prïck. Talks like everything he says is gospel and for some reason has you say he doesn't seem to like us but the feelings mutual. 

Curly hair lobber nowt no more

• Like 1

Guest Bulgaria
6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It seems that attackers look for it, with that chipped ball toward the midrif. They’re not even looking to cross really.

Said this as soon as the new rule came out. Any player with a bit of skill will just aim for the defenders arm.

It's no surprise that the powers that be are not able to fathom that one out.

The game is run by idiots.

11 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Agree, not a penalty for me, the super strict handball stuff with VAR isn't used in this division so it's irrelevant really.

The natural position thing does my head in, do they expect footballers to run around like pencils? You use your arms for balance so they natural move when you're playing sport. 

The "Natural position" aspect was implemented to include balance positions...

This is the problem. Just look at the different opinions on this thread.

That is what they are "opinions".

The only "opinion" that should matter is the referees and assistants. He has a split second to decide, sometimes right sometimes wrong, in peoples "opinions".

By introducing VAR as it is it has just brought in another "opinion", which muddies the water, again.

Ball crossing the line technology, ok, although even that isn't perfect but anything else should be down to the officials "opinion" on the pitch.

The players and managers have only themselves to blame for not accepting that officials will sometimes make mistakes or have a different "opinion" to them.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Agree, not a penalty for me, the super strict handball stuff with VAR isn't used in this division so it's irrelevant really.

The natural position thing does my head in, do they expect footballers to run around like pencils? You use your arms for balance so they natural move when you're playing sport. 

Absolutely 100% WO. The sight of defenders holding their hands behind their backs whilst trying to block crosses is ridiculous. I suspect this act is starting to influence refs into thinking that is the "natural" position, so giving stupid penalty decisions. Has clearly influenced the bell-end who wrote the BBC match report claiming it was a "blatent handball", what the absolute xxxx! He's clearly biased as the headline of "Derby defeated by Sheff Wed at Hillsborough" illustrates. It's not like we beat a team top of the league.

Not a pen for me. Natural body position and a splt second between Harris seeing being able to see the ball and it hitting his hand, that was in a natural position. 

Obviously I'm gonna say that if it was in the prem against us under var they'd have given it cos its against us etc. However I really do believe that under var we would have as much if not more go in our favour. Last night we'd have been playing against 10 men for the challenge on reach. If he'd have made a meal of it and our players had gone as ballistic as I did then the ref would have sent him off. Was a red all day and var would have confirmed it. 

I guess we'll not know what a season of var will look like for years though. 

2 hours ago, Hughthecone said:

Now BBC sports are quoting Rooney as saying that the Fourth official saw the the incident and it was a definite pen , on my understanding the Fourth official doesn’t get involved with decisions of that nature, only ref and linesman.

They like to deflect the focus away from the team by blaming officials,.

He should be saying we failed to take our chances first half and was not good enough to breakdown a poor Sheffield wednesday side., but let’s blame the officials for a non penalty.

Pathetic, the 4th official 50 yards away got it right ...really.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A12owl said:

In the build up to the incident when the ball was crossed from their right it looked to me as though their player in the penalty area handled the ball before it got across the other side. Anybody with a slowmo confirm that? 

And on another subject derby's Kazim-Richards should have had a straight red for the tackle on Reach. If Reach had stayed down writhing in agony and our players had surrounded the ref like other teams do then he might have got a red. 

Kazim-Richards is a right niggly person as well. 

Too right if this was Reading players he would have been gone,.& out for next few games.

Although I hate to see it, we need to be more “professional “, instead of being a soft touch..

• Like 1

I'm of the old school, it was ball to hand..not the other way around...no biggy.

also while on the game...If Reach had have made more of that Richards block late on, The Derby player might well have seen red..But Reach jumped straight back up..a couple of "rolls on the floor" and who knows

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bark1062 said:

Too right if this was Reading players he would have been gone,& out for next few games.

Although I hate to see it, we need to be more “professional “, instead of being a soft touch.

Been saying that for ages. We ride too many tackles whereas other team's fall down at every opportunity and get soft free-kicks.

20 minutes ago, andytrig said:

Could argue that we should have had a pen right at the end of the first half. The defender definitely impeded Kachunga when he headed just wide.

Yes pushed him as he went up for the header. It was mentioned in the half time round up but not deemed a penalty