Harris ‘penalty’ and VAR

I genuinely do not believe that the Harris incident was a penalty. He was two yards from Oddjob, his arms were in their natural position and it was ‘ball to hand’. I don’t think I am viewing it through rose tinted glasses either. While I might have shouted for it, the other way round, I do not believe that was a penalty and wouldn’t have expected it to be given to us....

However, if we were in the Prem and VAR were involved, would that have been given as a pen? There is no question it hit his arm, under today’s rules, does that therefore make it a pen?

• Like 9

Just now, Pieman said:

I genuinely do not believe that the Harris incident was a penalty. He was two yards from Oddjob, his arms were in their natural position and it was ‘ball to hand’. I don’t think I am viewing it through rose tinted glasses either. While I might have shouted for it, the other way round, I do not believe that was a penalty and wouldn’t have expected it to be given to us....

However, if we were in the Prem and VAR were involved, would that have been given as a pen? There is no question it hit his arm, under today’s rules, does that therefore make it a pen?

Did they score from the penalty ? No so fuckit 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Pieman said:

I agree. Definately not a penalty. However with the overuse and justifcation for VAR, it would have been given. Soft, but given.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Totally agree, they'd have given a pen to Man Utd or Liverpool. 

• Like 2

Just now, ChapSmurf said:

I agree. Definately not a penalty. However with the overuse and justifcation for VAR, it would have been given. Soft, but given.

That’s my opinion, which is just sooooooo wrong. I am not looking forward to have to watch a Wednesday game when VAR is involved.....

Agree, not a penalty for me, the super strict handball stuff with VAR isn't used in this division so it's irrelevant really.

The natural position thing does my head in, do they expect footballers to run around like pencils? You use your arms for balance so they natural move when you're playing sport. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Pieman said:

That’s my opinion, which is just sooooooo wrong. I am not looking forward to have to watch a Wednesday game when VAR is involved.....

If it stays as just the Prem using VAR I think we will be spared that privilege for a long time 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Pieman said:

It is wrong. It's not like he moved his hand/arm out to stop the ball. All this natural position stuff is utter tripe. Anyone who has played the game knows you have to get your arms out for balance. Not out like the Angel Of The North, but you need to balance yourself. It's unnatural not to.

Edited by ChapSmurf
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought the rules now meant it would be a pen, but a bit like the COVID rules I can’t keep up with the changes!

It wasn’t given and watching Rooney rant about it was priceless! 

as to whether it should or shouldn’t have been one. I guess I’d like to know from an ‘academic’ perspective but don’t care that much. 

• Like 1