F1 2021

Essix Blue

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I'm afraid it may have been OK according to the letter of the law, but definitely not the spirit.

Can't believe Lewis won that. I thought his race was over after the collision. At best, I thought he would have to come in for a new front wing. And he only goes and bloody well wins it!! Quite comfortably in the end. With a damaged front wing. Were Max's mediums going off?

What I definitely don't want to see now is the stewards getting their notebooks out and retrospectively adding or cancelling penalties.

The game was up for Max as his tyres were going, though still competing at that moment it's a bit like a fork at chess; 5 Second penalty or give up a place. He eased off his foot and rolled her home.

The Question now is; Will he face a crippling further penalty in the final race ? Hand it all to Lewis on a plate.   

Tbf to the stewards, they can’t hand out more severe penalties just so it fits the narrative. 10 second penalty is awarded as it fits the crime, no one’s fault that it doesn’t actually punish Max. 

I do think overall it’s lenient tho - but he also got 2 points on his super licence 

41 minutes ago, Essix Blue said:

Tbf to the stewards, they can’t hand out more severe penalties just so it fits the narrative. 10 second penalty is awarded as it fits the crime, no one’s fault that it doesn’t actually punish Max. 

I do think overall it’s lenient tho - but he also got 2 points on his super licence 

I get your point but at the end of the day, purposefully breaking in front of another car at close quarters in a high speed street circuit is one of the most dangerous things you can do.

If the stewards had took max to task after Brazil things wouldn't have got so bad but he's a liability at the moment

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, darra said:

Hopefully Verstappen will keep calm next week. Fear is if Hamilton gets the lead Verstappen doesn't lose it and go into win at any costs mode.

Its been noted that if they finish the season tied, then Max wins the title by virtue of having more race wins.

The only way they can remain tied after Abu Dhabi is if they both DNF......

1 minute ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Its been noted that if they finish the season tied, then Max wins the title by virtue of having more race wins.

The only way they can remain tied after Abu Dhabi is if they both DNF......

I know but If things start to go wrong Verstappens default mode is Mario Kart.😀

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, darra said:

Just a thought. Verstappen smacked his car into the wall during qualifying then Hamilton smacked his car up the harris during the race. Wonder if his gearbox has been damaged?

Well if you believe Horner there was massive damage to the car after he brake tested Lewis.  Though according to Max the car drove the same after!

I actually dont think the final race will see them sparring. I have a feeling Max will be dominant and sail off comfortably at the front

Quite clear to see the pressure is getting to Verstappen.

He would rather risk crashing rather than give up position, I said to the missus when it was Hamilton and Verstappen out front, that these two will end up crashing.

No-one seems to be mentioning the slight weaving Verstappen was doing when he was giving track position back.

Edited by Mac_77

Think Lewis has certainly got Max’s number at the minute. Max seems completely unwilling to yield position to Hamilton without risk of crashing because I think he knows once he does Lewis will be gone up the road. How many times in the last few races has Hamilton avoided a crash and yielded position only to bide his time and take him later on in the race.
He must be living rent free in Verstappen’s head at the minute.
Next week is going to be absolute box office, hopefully it’s decided on track fair and square.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darklord said:

I get your point but at the end of the day, purposefully breaking in front of another car at close quarters in a high speed street circuit is one of the most dangerous things you can do.

If the stewards had took max to task after Brazil things wouldn't have got so bad but he's a liability at the moment

But he was told to slow down and let him pass, ive never driven an F1 car but I assume downshifting and braking is how you do that.

Lewis didnt have a clue why.  Stewards fault for not communicating both teams at same time.

19 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

But he was told to slow down and let him pass, ive never driven an F1 car but I assume downshifting and braking is how you do that.

Lewis didnt have a clue why.  Stewards fault for not communicating both teams at same time.

How many times have you seen teams switch drivers around or even concede a place. happens plenty. Now how many have seen the conceding car move off the racing line and ease off a little on a straight? Now how many have you seen drop to 3rd gear on a 180mph blind corner to do it?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, darklord said:

How many times have you seen teams switch drivers around or even concede a place. happens plenty. Now how many have seen the conceding car move off the racing line and ease off a little on a straight? Now how many have you seen drop to 3rd gear on a 180mph blind corner to do it?

I read somewhere else that Max both braked and dropped 5 gears to 3rd, resulting in a deceleration of 2.4G

I can understand why that might have caught Lewis out.

• Like 1

Have only seen the highlights and not the full race as I’m at work.

Out of interest does Verstappen manage to take the corner with the run off clean at any point during the race or is it just when there’s another car close by he becomes incapable of braking in the right place?

12 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I read somewhere else that Max both braked and dropped 5 gears to 3rd, resulting in a deceleration of 2.4G

I can understand why that might have caught Lewis out.

Max knew what he was doing. Even my mother in law can drive better than he did at that instance

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Out of interest does Verstappen manage to take the corner with the run off clean at any point during the race or is it just when there’s another car close by he becomes incapable of braking in the right place?

The latter.

After the first restart (when Max was at the front of the 'grid') Lewis got away beautifully and was at least half a cars length ahead going into turn 1. He had the racing line and quite legitimately used it. Max should have yielded, but instead he took a short cut across the run-off area.