F1 2021

56 minutes ago, whatevertrevor said:

Haas haven't used their two development tokens as essentially it wasn't worth the cost given the major changes for next year. So they will be slow you'd think. 

Yeah, they've pretty much said they'll be "treading water" this season.

14 minutes ago, Fairy Tail Owl said:

Anyone know where I can watch testing? dont have sky

Saw this on the sky listings yesterday and wondered why it was being televised. Isnt it just watching the cars going around the track or am I missing something? 

2 hours ago, darra said:

Saw this on the sky listings yesterday and wondered why it was being televised. Isn't it just watching the cars going around the track or am I missing something? 

Sorry if that sounds like I'm dissing anybody watching it just interested if you learn anything? Can't think that the teams give out any information 

5 hours ago, darra said:

Sorry if that sounds like I'm dissing anybody watching it just interested if you learn anything? Can't think that the teams give out any information 

It can be tricky to see through the fog with teams running different fuel loads, tyres, and set ups, but by the end of testing you normally get an idea of the pecking order. It is pretty instructive, even if headline times can be misleading. 

On that note, as an aside, day 1 of 2009 testing was the best ever. Button comes out in the Brawn, one installation lap, then next lap BAM 8 zillion seconds quicker than anyone else. I tried right then to bet on him to be WDC and watched the odds change on my betslip from 100/1 to about 3/1 second favourite in one move. By the end of day 1 testing he was outright favourite.

* Actually can't remember if Brawn missed the first couple of days of testing? Either, way, it was their first day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/03/2021 at 11:54, darra said:

It is the first chance to learn about the changes to the cars and get some insight into how they affect the running.

Teams will "reveal" their cars in the week or two before testing, but they usually obscure their real innovations (for instance Mercedes had a false, flat floor on their reveal last week to hide their specific changes due to the new floor regulations and Ferrari have started testing with a differently designed nose, etc).

Yeah, for the most part it is just "cars going round" and you can't really take much away from the timing results (Mercedes are notorious for "sandbagging" their cars during testing so they don't reveal their true pace), but there's plenty to learn, if you're interested in technical and specifics of the cars themselves.

I suspect next year's testing will be much more exciting as the cars should be the totally new regulations and there will be LOTS to take in — this year is just largely modified versions of last year's cars with some aero changes (new floors, etc).

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, darklord said:

tricky day for mercs but thats happened before. depends how much of hamiltons handling issues were down to the sand?

New back end on the car, tweaking it to get it right. 

• Like 1

End of an Era Legend is a word thrown about too glibly these days but Murray was deffo a legend 

Murray was the sound of F1 when i was growing up and definitely enthused me about the sport .He always claimed to love Motorcycle Racing more than F1 his father Graham being a very good TT Rider and Murray used to have a BMW R90S in Sunburst Orange 

Such a sad loss  

RIP Murray Walker 

• Like 2

Oh how sad.

I was just talking about him fondly 2 days ago.

The sound of Formula 1. He had the perfect voice for it. He could make any race seem exciting given his contagious enthusiasm. 

For me, those early-mid 90s days, with Murray commentating, Sunday afternoon, BBC, is a feeling I really miss.

RIP