F1 2021

Lots of dramatic views here.

For me, it is what it is.

The most controversial thing in my mind is that they maybe did a couple of laps to fulfil contractural obligation of having a classified event (sponsors, promoters, etc). The ramifications outside of this would affect the promoters, FIA and even the teams and drivers (remember, teams and drivers have sponsors and have to fulfil the obligations to their sponsors for a classified event too — there’s very little chance of any legal challenge around the championship based on points at the end of the season because it would open EVERYONE up to potential action or loss of revenue, including the teams). I reckon some promoters or linked organisations would go under in the current climate if full refunds had to be given all round.

What can’t be argued is that it was unsafe to start the race ‘proper’ (without a safety car). So, fundamentally the right decision was made. They ran as much of the ‘race’ as they safely could in the circumstances.

The FIA are now looking at the rules and have added it as an agenda item at the next big FIA meeting, so hopefully something will be done for the long term, but as things stand there is little argument that it was, in reality, the right thing to do.

2 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Bottas ignoring team orders telling him not to go for fastest lap , then going on to do the fastest lap wont have gone down well with Toto . 

Like it really matters? He's being served notice in a few days.

I don't understand why Merc didn't bring Lewis in for a third pit stop. They had absolutely nothing to lose. Rolling the dice with the mediums hadn't worked, and another pit stop would only have dropped him one place to third. Put him on some softs and with 20-25 laps to go and a second or two advantage per lap he might have stood a fighting chance. At the very least he would have caught and passed Valteri and got second place back. Heads they win, tails they don't lose?

18 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I don't understand why Merc didn't bring Lewis in for a third pit stop. They had absolutely nothing to lose. Rolling the dice with the mediums hadn't worked, and another pit stop would only have dropped him one place to third. Put him on some softs and with 20-25 laps to go and a second or two advantage per lap he might have stood a fighting chance. At the very least he would have caught and passed Valteri and got second place back. Heads they win, tails they don't lose?

It would have mattered if Lewis hadnt managed to get the fastest lap back if had got caught in traffic. That extra point could make all the difference at the end of the season. 

18 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Agreed

It was obvious he wasn't gonna catch max on that strategy but 18-20 laps on the softs may have done it

They needed to gamble - unless the gamble was on getting a safety car but it was probably the cleanest race on the calendar so far

That one flying lap on softs showed what could possibly have been achieved

19 hours ago, scram said:

Agreed

It was obvious he wasn't gonna catch max on that strategy but 18-20 laps on the softs may have done it

They needed to gamble - unless the gamble was on getting a safety car but it was probably the cleanest race on the calendar so far

That one flying lap on softs showed what could possibly have been achieved

i think most teams expected a safety car at some point, probably due to so many red flags in practice.  I was surprised there wasn't one

1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

And another piece of the jigsaw falls into place, even if it is the worst kept secret in F1:

George Russell: Mercedes sign British F1 driver to partner Lewis Hamilton from 2022

So there's now a vacancy at Williams, with both Mercedes and Red Bull apparently twisting arms to get their own proteges into the seat.

1 hour ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

And another piece of the jigsaw falls into place, even if it is the worst kept secret in F1:

George Russell: Mercedes sign British F1 driver to partner Lewis Hamilton from 2022

So there's now a vacancy at Williams, with both Mercedes and Red Bull apparently twisting arms to get their own proteges into the seat.

Mercedes hold all the cards for the Williams seat - cannot see Albon getting that drive. 

29 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Mercedes hold all the cards for the Williams seat - cannot see Albon getting that drive. 

Can't remember the name of the Merc candidate, but he's young and fast rising. I'd much rather someone like that got the drive than Albon, who has already had a spell in F1 and TBH was a consistent disappointment.

On 05/09/2021 at 20:04, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Would softs last that long?

Edited by 83owl

Russell to Merc really excited. Another big challenge to Max next year. 

Just a thought - if Lewis wins the title this year, what are the odds that he retires there and then? 

1 hour ago, Essix Blue said:

Russell to Merc really excited. Another big challenge to Max next year. 

Just a thought - if Lewis wins the title this year, what are the odds that he retires there and then? 

I think Max is happy knowing its a straight shootout between him and Lewis this season, but next season will be a different story. I honestly believe Russell is good enough to be challenging for race wins and poles  from the off.