F1 2021

Essix Blue

I think it's good to have a bonkers race from time to time.

Congratulations to Ocon, but I think he owes his teamate a huge debt. If it hadn't been for Alonso's heroic defence, Hamilton would have had several more laps to close in on Ocon and Vettel. And he wasn't exactly far behind when they crossed the finishing line.

What were Merc thinking of, though, not bringing him in for slicks? I'm surprised Hamilton didn't just tell them he was coming in, so get ready....

From what they said on telly it was Hamiltons decision to stay out

Toto defended the decision but it was bonkers.

Lewis would have had the title wrapped up by now if it wasn't for mistakes and poor strategy

RB aren't gonna suffer such awful luck all season and Merc are due a bit of adversity

Also think Lewis of a couple of seasons ago would have dealt with Fernando in a couple of laps at most. 

Fair enough we are seeing the GOAT in his twilight but he cannot keep spurning gifts

1 minute ago, scram said:

Lewis would have had the title wrapped up by now if it wasn't for mistakes and poor strategy

RB aren't gonna suffer such awful luck all season and Merc are due to a bit of adversity

Also, think Lewis of a couple of seasons ago would have dealt with Fernando in a couple of laps at most. 

Fair enough we are seeing the GOAT in his twilight but he cannot keep spurning gifts

You could be right but I also thought that if It hadn't been for the kerfuffle last race he would've been more aggressive especially as RB has appealed against his penalty. Wouldn't look good if he was involved in a similar incident. Not sure if that's not been resolved tbh.

It was resolved in Thursday when RB were basically told to pick their teddies up. 

Even Fernando said Lewis was making mistakes and should have passed him a lot sooner

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, scram said:

RB aren't gonna suffer such awful luck all season and Merc are due a bit of adversity

Also think Lewis of a couple of seasons ago would have dealt with Fernando in a couple of laps at most. 

The team can’t radio to the driver during the warm up lap. It had to be the drivers decision to box - I think Merc knew a few would, they didn’t realise everyone would bar LH

I just don't see the rationale for staying on the inters

It was obvious that within 2-3 laps at the most every driver would be swapping to dry tyres - there was no reason to give up that advantage

That lost him the race - although he maybe could have salvaged if he hadn't followed Fernando for so long

I'm a massive GOAT fan but it's very obvious cracks are starting to appear - he hasn't taken advantage of some utter gifts and were it not for outrageous bad luck for Max then Lewis would already be needing snookers 

Sure it's not just LH - maybe the mistakes have come from the fact his car has been 2nd to RB this season and he's doing all he can to hang in there

If this break gives merc the chance to get that car as competitive or better than RB then of course Lewis can still win the title - he's still an imperious driver but maybe this break also gives him the chance to regroup and reflect

TBH today the issue wasn't the car - it seemed to be easily the best out there which is why although it seems churlish to criticise LH for going from last to 3rd he had the car and situation to still win the race but didn't take advantage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

The team can't speak too the drivers on a formation lap so it was down to all the drivers. We heard Russell on the radio saying he thought everyone would come in, but the team are not allowed to respond to him. As Hamilton was first he had the hardest gamble to make, as when everyone saw Ocon come in, everyone could just follow him in. Ocon could have taken the safe choice and followed Hamilton but he made the right choice. 

1 hour ago, scram said:

Even Fernando said Lewis was making mistakes and should have passed him a lot sooner

I think its a case of "to finish first, first you have to finish".

Merc had got themselves into a position where LH was going to score a lot more points than MV. Potentially blowing that advantage was maybe too much of a risk. Especially against an old warrior like Alonso.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, scram said:

I just don't see the rationale for staying on the inters

It was obvious that within 2-3 laps at the most every driver would be swapping to dry tyres - there was no reason to give up that advantage

That lost him the race - although he maybe could have salvaged if he hadn't followed Fernando for so long

I'm a massive GOAT fan but it's very obvious cracks are starting to appear - he hasn't taken advantage of some utter gifts and were it not for outrageous bad luck for Max then Lewis would already be needing snookers 

Sure it's not just LH - maybe the mistakes have come from the fact his car has been 2nd to RB this season and he's doing all he can to hang in there

If this break gives merc the chance to get that car as competitive or better than RB then of course Lewis can still win the title - he's still an imperious driver but maybe this break also gives him the chance to regroup and reflect

TBH today the issue wasn't the car - it seemed to be easily the best out there which is why although it seems churlish to criticise LH for going from last to 3rd he had the car and situation to still win the race but didn't take advantage

Drivers do though have to take instruction and the Merc back room boys have made too many mistakes in the most recent season and a half. 

5 minutes ago, flo said:

The team can't speak too the drivers on a formation lap so it was down to all the drivers. We heard Russell on the radio saying he thought everyone would come in, but the team are not allowed to respond to him. As Hamilton was first he had the hardest gamble to make, as when everyone saw Ocon come in, everyone could just follow him in. Ocon could have taken the safe choice and followed Hamilton but he made the right choice. 

Yeah i get that

But we're talking about the greatest driver in history

He knew within a lap or 2 everybody would be swapping tyres so he had nothing to lose by being the first to make that call because what he may have lost initially he'd have more than made up when everybody else pitted

I just think it was another mistake in a litany of them this season

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scram said:

Not a chance.  Alonso is far better than Lewis. 

1 hour ago, scram said:

Agree that Alonso is the GOAT

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think its a case of "to finish first, first you have to finish".

Merc had got themselves into a position where LH was going to score a lot more points than MV. Potentially blowing that advantage was maybe too much of a risk. Especially against an old warrior like Alonso.

Fair enough but with a much faster car on much fresher tyres it should not have been so epically laboured to get past Fernando

\i think it was telling how quickly he then caught Sainz and almost caught SV and EO within a couple of laps after 

Hamilton proving YET AGAIN that he isn’t a great driver and his success is ALL down to the amazing cars he had before. 

Every year he has a good team mate he struggles against them.  

Every time his car isn’t the best by a mile he struggles. 

He makes stupid mistakes in every race and is pretty poor with strategy.  

Today completely exposed him. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Bez said:

Hamilton proving YET AGAIN that he isn’t a great driver and his success is ALL down to the amazing cars he had before. 

Every year he has a good team mate he struggles against them.  

Every time his car isn’t the best by a mile he struggles. 

He makes stupid mistakes in every race and is pretty poor with strategy.  

Today completely exposed him. 

You mean like every other driver on the grid? 

Verstappen, Leclerc, Alonso etc have ran Hamilton close over the years in their inferior cars haven’t they? No, they haven’t. 

You don’t have to like Hamilton. You do have to respect what he’s achieved in the sport. Luck doesn’t get you what Lewis Hamilton has today.

• Like 1