F1 2021

9 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

I think Russell is unproven whereas Bottas is their little lapdog and does what he's told and takes the paycheck.

Bit of a gamble to have someone so unproven and especially now in a 2nd rate car.

You could argue Max was unproven when he first entered F1 with Torro Rosso. A few months later he was promoted to the A Team and was winning races.

George Russell is actually in his 3rd season in F1 so hardly a novice. During that time he has consistently outqualified and outdriven his team mate, has consistently outdriven the car he's been given, and in the one race where he got to drive the Merc he outperformed his more experienced team mate and was dreadfully unlucky not to win. Despite the car being designed for a smaller man.

Basically, take a good driver out of a mediocre car and put them in a good car and they'll perform.

I'm not sure I'd call the Merc a second rate car. RB may have the beating of them right now, but they're still a match for any other car on the grid. And Mercedes aren't just going to accept the current situation - they've got the resources to fight back. Also, don't forget that new regulations come into force next season.

3 hours ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

You could argue Max was unproven when he first entered F1 with Torro Rosso. A few months later he was promoted to the A Team and was winning races.

George Russell is actually in his 3rd season in F1 so hardly a novice. During that time he has consistently outqualified and outdriven his team mate, has consistently outdriven the car he's been given, and in the one race where he got to drive the Merc he outperformed his more experienced team mate and was dreadfully unlucky not to win. Despite the car being designed for a smaller man.

Basically, take a good driver out of a mediocre car and put them in a good car and they'll perform.

I'm not sure I'd call the Merc a second rate car. RB may have the beating of them right now, but they're still a match for any other car on the grid. And Mercedes aren't just going to accept the current situation - they've got the resources to fight back. Also, don't forget that new regulations come into force next season.

We see very little of what goes on in a race. The team's are supplied with tons of telemetric data during and after a race which tells them how well a driver is driving and how much he's getting out of the car. I'm sure that when he drove for Mercedes a couple of years ago they learnt a lot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

I think Russell is unproven whereas Bottas is their little lapdog and does what he's told and takes the paycheck.

Bit of a gamble to have someone so unproven and especially now in a 2nd rate car.

I think they’ll be looking at a LH replacement - that’s why Russell fits the bill. 2 years with Lewis then become number 1 at the team

• Like 1

Merc are focusing on next year aren't they and most of this years work has been done to nullify the rule changes brought in to slow them down. 

Handy that red bull also get 2 home GPs 

I think Lewis was just been complimentary about Lando. He's not the selfish issue some think he is

On 06/07/2021 at 21:41, darklord said:

Merc are focusing on next year aren't they and most of this years work has been done to nullify the rule changes brought in to slow them down. 

Handy that red bull also get 2 home GPs 

I think Lewis was just been complimentary about Lando. He's not the selfish issue some think he is

Apparently Russell for 2022 will be announced next weekend at Silverstone 

On 04/07/2021 at 12:59, scram said:

If Merc carry on as they are and McLaren continue to improve then he may not want to leave

be great to see McLaren fighting at the top again - and Williams

Russell is another alternative for Merc to replace Bottas

Gotta feeling next season will be LH's last chance to win a championship and after that he may be the one riding shotgun for his team mate

Not sure if Lewis would be much of a shotgun rider pal, he looks to me like someone who knows if they are not at their best then its time to go? Norris is driving so well at the moment and has a great personality.

On 04/07/2021 at 21:18, DeeJayOne said:

Bottas was asked last week whether he would be driving for Mercedes next season and his answer was vague... something along the lines of "I will definitely have Mercedes power behind me".

We can probably take from that if he isn't keeping his seat at Merc but staying in F1 then he will likely be moving to McLaren, Aston Martin or Williams. 

There's a chance if a swap deal with one of those teams... the likelihood would have to be either Norris or Russell (probably Russell).

Yep, agree with that mate. Russell is the favourite, but Norris is definitely giving Merc something to think about. He has been awesome so far this season. 

On 13/07/2021 at 13:48, DeeJayOne said:

F1 are 'revealing' the 2022 stuff on Thursday.

Think they have built a full-size mockup car to show off all the new designs/regulations (of course teams will push the design and try to find loopholes, etc).

2pm tomorrow.

On 13/07/2021 at 13:48, DeeJayOne said:

F1 are 'revealing' the 2022 stuff on Thursday.

Think they have built a full-size mockup car to show off all the new designs/regulations (of course teams will push the design and try to find loopholes, etc).

Not the best photos mate, I've just taken them now. The new mock up car is on the F1 show now ahead of first practice. 

IMG_20210716_131241.thumb.jpg.b65ca0572ef1963ad779c66577fec167.jpg

IMG_20210716_131253.thumb.jpg.80bd36446bf1a33be31211bff578807d.jpg

IMG_20210716_131321.thumb.jpg.baee9a02fc30058b7d8ff52c719ca5d2.jpg

IMG_20210716_131144.thumb.jpg.b0870d4ada44b9ea91fdcec36553cbeb.jpg

Yeah, it was unveiled on a live stream Thursday at 2pm.

Not much different to the renders and smaller models we've seen before — and crucially teams will develop 'their' versions of it to find loopholes and extra speed, etc, — but it looks promising!

• Like 1

Saying on F1 Qualifying just now that Russell is about to be confirmed as Hamiltons partner at Merc next season. 

Toto was asked and he said their line up will be confirmed before the summer break (after Spa), but he didn't deny it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Saying on F1 Qualifying just now that Russell is about to be confirmed as Hamiltons partner at Merc next season. 

Toto was asked and he said their line up will be confirmed before the summer break (after Spa), but he didn't deny it. 

Did you see the Russell interview on The F1 Show?

Basically said there wasn't going to be an announcement this weekend, but when pressed wouldn't deny it. Interestingly used the same line as Bottas last week "I'll have Mercedes power behind me".

37 minutes ago, trev said:

Great lap by Hamilton.

But..wow..that Q2 lap by Russell with all the fans cheering was epic.

Really enjoyed that. 

New rumour is that Bottas has signed up to move to Rallying next year. 😮

Don't understand why it doesn't count as an official pole position?

Same qualifying criteria as other races so it should count imo

I know the sprint is the decider of grid positions for the gp but just seems odd

18 hours ago, scram said:

Don't understand why it doesn't count as an official pole position?

Same qualifying criteria as other races so it should count imo

I know the sprint is the decider of grid positions for the gp but just seems odd

One of the big challenges they have been facing in creating this format is that they do not want to take away from the 'prestige' of the Sunday full race.