Who to rest v Exeter?

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Wildsmith

Odubajo     Shaw   Van Aken    Palmer(c)

Pelupessy  Dele-Bashiru 

Kachunga                                    Penney

Brown     Rhodes

Subs: Jackson, Urhoghide, Brennan, Hunt, Bannan, Reach, Harris, Paterson, Grant

Need to rest as many as possible. If Joost isn’t fit start Urhoghide and have Lees on bench, but Tom is our only fit cb so we must be careful 

6 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Wildsmith

Odubajo     Shaw   Van Aken    Palmer(c)

Pelupessy  Dele-Bashiru 

Kachunga                                    Penney

Brown     Rhodes

Subs: Jackson, Urhoghide, Brennan, Hunt, Bannan, Reach, Harris, Paterson, Grant

Need to rest as many as possible. If Joost isn’t fit start Urhoghide and have Lees on bench, but Tom is our only fit cb so we must be careful 

Even that's too risky for me. An injury to Wildsmith or any of that back 4 (Van Aken probs injured still) and we shoot ourselves in the foot in the most "Wednesday way" possible. Two or our current best players in that team. I know its painful not to compete but I'd be 100% kids or giving Exeter a bye..... lolUnless of course, by some miracle there are some new faces needing game time.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, Morepork said:

Even that's too risky for me. An injury to Wildsmith or any of that back 4 (Van Aken probs injured still) and we shoot ourselves in the foot in the most "Wednesday way" possible. Two or our current best players in that team. I know its painful not to compete but I'd be 100% kids or giving Exeter a bye..... lolUnless of course, by some miracle there are some new faces needing game time.

Disagree but can understand your point.

Rest them all.

If it was a glamour tie, or any prem side, it would be tempting to play some key players to avoid a battering.

But we simply cannot afford to field a strong side and lose someone. Losing Fletcher killed us off last season.

This potentially means playing a REALLY young defence and getting knocked out to a lower league side but I couldn’t give less of a throw. 

Wildsmith

Uroghide

Brennan

Borner if fit - his injury is a mystery tbh. Shaw otherwise?? Could really do with a loan signing tbh. Or recover Van Aken.

Penney

Hunt

Dele

Brown

Kachunga

Rhodes

Hagan

In all honesty I don’t think he’ll play that. Pelupessy is as fit as a butchers dog so he’ll potentially play (I’ve probs jinxed him now).

Edited by FlyingOwl

50 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Strongest team possible for me.

I want us to progress.

With our injury luck you’d really risk it??? And the last thing we need is an even busier schedule.

In normal times id agree to an extent although giving debuts to the likes of Uroghide last season is also a part of the cup magic. But we’re in a jam packed season due to Covid, we have no manager, little funds for new players, we’re averaging one or two injuries a week and somehow we’ve climbed JUST out of the relegation zone. It is not worth risking putting our best 11 out just to stand a better chance of progressing to the next round. 

Our season was thrown down the drain by foolishly playing Fletcher against Brighton last season. I don’t want a repeat. Our squad is so thin that we can’t even really afford injuries to our fringe players. 

After such a fixture pile-up in December, this match comes at a funny time - with an 8-day break going into it and a 7-day break after it. I think there's actually a risk to resting everyone at this point. Two weeks without a game and then 3 in 7-days after that could mess us up further - better to keep the players who are fully fit ticking over (with 60 mins or 30 mins), and rest one or two carrying injuries (Reach, Windass).

Also, given our dodgy finances, the £41k for winning this game, and shot at another £90k in the fourth round isn't insignificant (plus TV money I think if we draw one of the big boys?).

GK: Wildsmith

RB: Urhoghide

CB: Lees

CB: Borner (assuming he's coming back from injury, would help to have a game) / Shaw

LB: Penney

DM: Pelupessy

DM: Hunt

RM: Grant

AM: Brown

LM: Kachunga

CF: Paterson

And consider 30-min cameos off the bench for some of Bannan, Dele-Bashiru, Odubajo, Harris, Waldock and Hagan/Adedoyin

11 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

We’ve had 2 games a week since September and a mounting injury list. Everyone needs a rest. I’d go with this...

Subs;

Jackson

Dawodu

Shaw

Pelupessy

Hagan

Waldock

Hughes

Either Borner or JVA hopefully be fit to start.

F5DC5C46-F5F8-472A-9FCE-26C51C2D1BE5.jpeg

Like that 

I might have windass, van aken, luongo on the bench if they are coming back from injury just as part of their recovery to give them game time 

if they are not needing minutes or not ready 

as you say