Callum Paterson

Will divide opinion just like Nuhiu did. Nuhiu had the advantage of being a recognised forward where as Paterson has played in several positions

during his career.

Wherever he has played though he has shown he has an eye for goal. His goals for us have been goal poaches types, the ones you’d expect Rhodes to score. Who knows if we get the ball to him in the box more, he might be the type of striker that can get us 12 goals or more. Who knows in a really good side he could even stand a chance of getting that magical 20?

• Like 2

The very fact that we’re debating the merits of Paterson v Nuhiu shows how far we’ve fallen.  Personally I would take Nuhiu over Paterson, but accept Paterson may be a useful asset in battling against relegation.  Neither one would get close to starting for a decent team with top 6 aspirations.

• Thanks 1

Guest Kagoshimaowl
49 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

very good point. 

He's not a starter in any team looking at top 6.

Which we aren’t so irrelevant 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
51 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

very good point. 

He's not a starter in any team looking at top 6.

Sorry ignore my previous post. I read it wrong. Completely agree with you.

13 minutes ago, brando said:

A reason for that...

Nuhui was hardly prolific whilst he was at S6.  I’ve not looked at the numbers but I guess he scored about 8 goals per season.  I think he’s made about 9 appearances for the Cypriot club he’s at and I don’t think he’s scored.  He’d hardly add much to the team IMO.

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

What a strange post, we had one for years who was better - Nuhui. 

Hard working team player who made life difficult for defenders, and popped up with important goals. 

Paterson is just a poorer quality Atdhe. 

Two completely different types of player. Paterson does the scruffy stuff really well.

Nuhiu gave too many fouls away probably because of sheer bulk. He was luxury when played from start best played as substitute. If you were taking Paterson off and putting Nuhiu on would be interesting as defence ruffed up and tired and Nuhiu may be able to exploit them. 

• Like 1

Nuhiu didn’t really start games for the last few years but would still chip in. He knew he was leaving but was still putting his head on things to score at the back end of last season because he didn’t want us to go down on -12 as was threatened. A few of the others clearly didn’t care about that. Including Fletcher with his “injury”.

Nuhiu was more of an effective target man than Paterson but I reckon Paterson could get 10 plus goals a season like Nuhiu did under Gray and Carlos. Both capable of some really good play and likewise some football that makes them look like they’ve been on the ale before kick off.

Pulis wasn’t wrong that we need someone with pace and strength to do a bit of what Paterson does and what Windass does in one.

14 hours ago, hugeowl said:

He is shocking 

but he has managed to score 4 goals and won a penalty . 

Not sure how but he does have a impact on games although sometimes not in a good way 

He is shocking. Lumbers about like Nuhiu did only doesn't have the size advantage.

Still he is managing to score one way or another which is what we need. I'll take hard work and determination because we have very little else up front.

2 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

The very fact that we’re debating the merits of Paterson v Nuhiu shows how far we’ve fallen.  Personally I would take Nuhiu over Paterson, but accept Paterson may be a useful asset in battling against relegation.  Neither one would get close to starting for a decent team with top 6 aspirations.

A little bit of this, plus one cost 50,000, while the other cost half a million. Whether Paterson can be useful for us will largely depend on the new manager, and how he wants us to play. The thing with Nuhiu, he had a fair bit of technical ability, as well as the physical presence to shake defenders up, as Paterson does.  Nuhiu could play in a footballing side, Paterson can’t, so much will depend on how the coach wants us to play.

• Like 3

Think he was very poor last night but chipped in with a vital goal , like others have mentioned can look slow , unfit and a bit of a liability at times BUT if he chips in with goals then I’m more than happy , think on a good day he works hard , wins flicks , makes it hard to defend against and can pinch a goal here and there . If he can get 10 that’s a good season 

Nuhiu had good technical ability, but I don't think he had a football brain. The number of times he would give away silly fouls when the defenders had nowhere to go, or would be making runs onto the wing as if he was Ross Wallace rather than getting in the box and using his strength to unsettle the defenders.

Paterson on the other hand has less technical ability but does seem to have a football brain. He's always in the right place, but sometimes the mind is willing, but the body isn't quite able to run at the necessary pace of pull off the skill. He's always looking to take quick freekicks or find the man in space though.

All told, I would take Paterson over Nuhiu. Unfortunately for us though, he's more of a Fletcher replacement, and Fletcher was a whole different level to Nuhiu and Paterson.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

4 goals for the Owls. 

Which helped us to get 7 points in those games. 

08965176-E17D-4E2B-86BC-1B83C92EE6F4.gif

I could watch this all day. 

Shaw looking around for somebody to celebrate not only his first ever goal, but for his boyhood club. 

Patterson celebrating to no fans. 

lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Nuhiu had good technical ability, but I don't think he had a football brain. The number of times he would give away silly fouls when the defenders had nowhere to go, or would be making runs onto the wing as if he was Ross Wallace rather than getting in the box and using his strength to unsettle the defenders.

Paterson on the other hand has less technical ability but does seem to have a football brain. He's always in the right place, but sometimes the mind is willing, but the body isn't quite able to run at the necessary pace of pull off the skill. He's always looking to take quick freekicks or find the man in space though.

All told, I would take Paterson over Nuhiu. Unfortunately for us though, he's more of a Fletcher replacement, and Fletcher was a whole different level to Nuhiu and Paterson.

Probably the distance from his brain to his feet, took to long to relay the messages. Actually I do think he had a good footballing brain. He was the best foil for Forestieri, who knew that he could play the ball in to Nuhiu, and he’d get it back. In that respect, I’d rank him higher than Fletcher with the ball at his feet.

I think Paterson is a useful squad member and I can see him getting around 8 goals a season.

As for last nights goal, if I was A Derby fan, I would be livid. It was poor goalkeeping that led to the ball coming back in and Paterson was there along with FOUR Derby players and we managed to score 😀

Edited by sexpistol

On 02/01/2021 at 12:05, gurujuan said:

Probably the distance from his brain to his feet, took to long to relay the messages. Actually I do think he had a good footballing brain. He was the best foil for Forestieri, who knew that he could play the ball in to Nuhiu, and he’d get it back. In that respect, I’d rank him higher than Fletcher with the ball at his feet.

No comparison Fletcher was light years ahead of Nuhiu, your anti-Fletcher bias clouds your judgement yet again. Nuhiu was good at falling over his own feet , rarely made assists , and had a poor goals ratio. Fletcher was the complete target man, good in the air and on the floor. (Injuries did cloud his time here but when he played he offered a genuine goal threat)