Westwood out

Just now, Somebody said:

One keeper going enough, but not fit or robust enough.

Two younger fit  keepers, not good enough.

A problem position, which is rare for us.

We used to be the envy of the whole country in the goalkeeping department

We'd always have an amazing goalkeeper and a very very strong deputy

Like you say goalkeeping department hasn't really been as bad as it is now

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We used to be the envy of the whole country in the goalkeeping department

We'd always have an amazing goalkeeper and a very very strong deputy

Like you say goalkeeping department hasn't really been as bad as it is now

Suspect we'll muddle through until season end, get Westwood off the wage bill & buy in the summer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah

I really do hope we do and go back to two keepers instead of three

Totally agree.  I think Wildsmith is ok as a deputy.  I would love Westwood to stay but the problem I see it is with the wages he is on you need a decent keeper that can play basically every game.  I just cant see that from Westwood, I still think he is good enough, probably not as good as he has been but way to prone to picking up niggly injuries.  Would love to see him stay at the club as a goal keeper coach or something but that would mean a massive pay cut.  Hopefully if we can manage to stay up we can regroup after the fiasco of the last couple of seasons, if our championship status is secured and with a bit of money available we can rebuild.

2 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Goalkeepers wouldn’t retire any time from 34-40 if it didn’t take its toll on the body

My mate was a goalkeeper AND wicketkeeper and played until last year at 55...he's chairman at St Neots and his mates are all the old Luton team including Mark Stein and I always made a point of buying Mark a pint for relegating Dem blades

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

My mate was a goalkeeper AND wicketkeeper and played until last year at 55...he's chairman at St Neots and his mates are all the old Luton team including Mark Stein and I always made a point of buying Mark a pint for relegating Dem blades

Haha To be fair wicketkeepers are mental! Most of them playing with bent fingers from years of breaks and just keep going back for more! 🤣

5 hours ago, Big Jack said:

Heavy news years party, he had it booked weeks ago. Now he is nursing a bottle of of paddy.

4 hours ago, Owls_fan_since_1983 said:

Westwood probably taking a little nap. 

He was at the match tonight wearing his club gear , not sat at home. 

• Love 2

Wildsmith did ok tonight and is a solid enough deputy.

Westwood is still the best keeper at the club and his experience and organisation  could be so important for us this season.

Unfortunately, you're never entirely convinced how many games on the trot you will get out of him.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Wildsmith did ok tonight and is a solid enough deputy.

Westwood is still the best keeper at the club and his experience and organisation  could be so important for us this season.

Unfortunately, you're never entirely convinced how many games on the trot you will get out of him.

The lack of trust the players have in Wildsmith is so apparent though, I’ve never seen so many SWFC players defending inside the 6 yard box 

We have a massive Summer ahead of us on the goalkeeping front....

If we have the chance we should cut Wildsmith and Dawson loose - selfishly I f we could I would keep Dawson as a back up to an experienced #1 but I think he could be a number one eventually in league one or two at some point. But really we should let him attempt a proper career

Wildsmith won’t ever be a number one in the top 4 divisions.

Then...we need a #1 who can play 35+ games a season

Edited by McRightSide
  • Like 1