Westwood out

Just now, @owlstalk said:

For a keeper??

And how would a manager come to that conclusion with a goalkeeper?

I don't understand 

If your body is 10% off in sharpness to get down, spring off, rush out etc, that’s disastrous for a keeper at this level. The training and game prep and games back to back will take its toll.

It highlights the problem also in having a 36 year old goalkeeper, let alone one who’s been out. 

Of course it reinforces we need a new number one going forward, next season or whatever. IMO. 

Just now, WhiteOwl91 said:

If your body is 10% off in sharpness to get down, spring off, rush out etc, that’s disastrous for a keeper at this level. The training and game prep and games back to back will take its toll.

It highlights the problem also in having a 36 year old goalkeeper, let alone one who’s been out. 

Of course it reinforces we need a new number one going forward, next season or whatever. IMO. 

But how would it work?

Would the manager spot it or would Westwood go up to the manager and say "Hey boss, I'm only feeling 90% mate, something just doesn't feel right, I need some time off during this Xmas/New Year period as I dont' want to give anything less than 100%' or would the manager spot it in training?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, wexowl said:

Come on Neil   admit it you have him locked ion the boot of your car.  ***cough cough cough 

I'm honestly not having a dig at 'Westy' 

I"m just confused about him needing the New Year period off after a year sat at home watching Homes Under The Hammer

It can't be that he needs resting so what's happened?

Is he injured? If so how bad is it? 

etc

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313

Some of the comments are ridiculous. ‘Well he’s only a keeper, doesn’t really move or owt, how can he be unfit etc’. As if we’re just going for a kick about down the park 

It’s professional sport. Whilst it’s physically easier being a keeper than an outfield player (hence them playing on about 5 years longer on average), you still need to be sharp.

At his age and after missing a year of football he’s bound to be in and out with fitness issues at least initially. Better to leave him out today and be back for the next league games than playing him and having a repeat of Swansea. If he’s not right he’s not right, have to take his word for it. Can’t see why he would want to take liberties and just make it up tbh, but that’s what everyone seems to think 

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Some of the comments are ridiculous. ‘Well he’s only a keeper, doesn’t really move or owt, how can he be unfit etc’. As if we’re just going for a kick about down the park 

It’s professional sport. Whilst it’s physically easier being a keeper than an outfield player (hence them playing on about 5 years longer on average), you still need to be sharp. 

How many other keepers in the Championship are rested?

You think he's just being rested and WIldsmith put in the first team and no proper keeper as back up?

Nuff said

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But how would it work?

Would the manager spot it or would Westwood go up to the manager and say "Hey boss, I'm only feeling 90% mate, something just doesn't feel right, I need some time off during this Xmas/New Year period as I dont' want to give anything less than 100%' or would the manager spot it in training?

Goalkeeping coach working with the player will see where he’s at, be speaking with the player during and after session, then dialogue with the physios with their assessment and the monitors they use for performance levels etc. Manager then involved. 

The fact he’s been out will have contributed to this, he wasn’t just out of first team games he was out of first team intensity training too for a year. 

Used to have this conversation about Wicketkeepers at cricket, really fine margins they operate in and when you’ve been out a while you do feel it.

Goalkeepers wouldn’t retire any time from 34-40 if it didn’t take its toll on the body

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm honestly not having a dig at 'Westy' 

I"m just confused about him needing the New Year period off after a year sat at home watching Homes Under The Hammer

It can't be that he needs resting so what's happened?

Is he injured? If so how bad is it? 

etc

Or should we ‘rush’ him back and play him like we did at Swansea and he’s injured for another month? 
I would rather miss Westy🤮 for this one game and have him for next 4-6 games then risk losing him for those. 

Goalkeeping coach working with the player will see where he’s at, be speaking with the player during and after session, then dialogue with the physios with their assessment and the monitors they use for performance levels etc. Manager then involved. 

The fact he’s been out will have contributed to this, he wasn’t just out of first team games he was out of first team intensity training too for a year. 

Used to have this conversation about Wicketkeepers at cricket, really fine margins they operate in and when you’ve been out a while you do feel it.

Goalkeepers wouldn’t retire any time from 34-40 if it didn’t take its toll on the body

Yeah fair

Thank you mate - I understand the situation more now - appreciated

Hopefully Westy's ok and it's not too serious and he can rejoin the squad after the Christmas/New Year period

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

How many other keepers in the Championship are rested?

You think he's just being rested and WIldsmith put in the first team and no proper keeper as back up?

Nuff said

He’s not fit to play clearly.. most other keepers in this league aren’t 36 and have been forced to sit at home for 12 months. Takes a long time to build back to peak fitness after that sort of lay-off and it’s harder the older you are too

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

He’s not fit to play clearly.. 

What have you seen in his recent performances to suggest that he needs time off in the Christmas/New Year period though?

I thought he was amazing last game - 100% on form and was solid as a rock

I didn't see any reason he'd need resting after it?

Maybe the club can give us more insight

EG - They said Dunkley was just being rested so he went straight onto Twitter to tell us he'd torn his hamstring

Owlstalk Shop

Yeah fair

Thank you mate - I understand the situation more now - appreciated

Hopefully Westy's ok and it's not too serious and he can rejoin the squad after the Christmas/New Year period

Maybe this takes the pressure off Wildsmith in a strange way, when he was chosen as number 1 with Westwood banished you’re obviously going to get people saying Westwood should be playing, he’s a big name etc which isn’t easy on the likes of Wildsmith. 

Hopefully with him out Wildsmith will more feel like he can just go about his business without people scrutinising his every step? 

depending on our league situation next year, that’ll have a bearing on the GK position going forward I think. 

Championship, do we get a new number 1? Does Wildsmith step up? Does Westwood accept reduced terms? 

If it’s league 1,  I think it’s nailed on it’ll be JW. 

• Like 1

Maybe this takes the pressure off Wildsmith in a strange way, when he was chosen as number 1 with Westwood banished you’re obviously going to get people saying Westwood should be playing, he’s a big name etc which isn’t easy on the likes of Wildsmith. 

Hopefully with him out Wildsmith will more feel like he can just go about his business without people scrutinising his every step? 

depending on our league situation next year, that’ll have a bearing on the GK position going forward I think. 

Championship, do we get a new number 1? Does Wildsmith step up? Does Westwood accept reduced terms? 

If it’s league 1,  I think it’s nailed on it’ll be JW. 

Good post mate

With Wildsmith I really like him - I think he gives us his all

I don't see how his mistakes wouldn't be any less costly or any less regular in the division below though

I really wish he'd just find that consistency that he needs

I also have a very strong belief that having two reserve keepers instead of one muddies the waters, doesn't give a clear picture to them of their position or progression in the squad and is a hinderance

I'd rather have a Martin Hodge/Iain Hesford situation than one where we have two lads like we have

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Guest LondonOwl313
8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What have you seen in his recent performances to suggest that he needs time off in the Christmas/New Year period though?

I thought he was amazing last game - 100% on form and was solid as a rock

I didn't see any reason he'd need resting after it?

Maybe the club can give us more insight

EG - They said Dunkley was just being rested so he went straight onto Twitter to tell us he'd torn his hamstring

Could just be very sore.. I assume it’s like where you go to the gym after a long time off and push as hard as you can. You feel buzzing at the time and just after but the day after it kicks in and the pain is unbelievable and you’re stiff as a board

Good post mate

With Wildsmith I really like him - I think he gives us his all

I don't see how his mistakes wouldn't be any less costly or any less regular in the division below though

I really wish he'd just find that consistency that he needs

I also have a very strong belief that having two reserve keepers instead of one muddies the waters, doesn't give a clear picture to them of their position or progression in the squad and is a hinderance

I'd rather have a Martin Hodge/Iain Hesford situation than one where we have two lads like we have

Totally agree with you here. A number 1 (KW now), younger number 2 (jw) then a number 3 who is an older head who’s prepared to just be a squad man is ideal IMO. That way your number 2 can learn from Both senior keepers but also be first in line when the number 1 is out. 

Having essentially another number 2 does make that a lot more complicated

Just now, Jamie_W said:

You'd imagine the players would report feelings of tightness etc and try to avoid creating injury problems by informing physios of their status and then allowing them to assess it and help make a decision as to whether playing is a risk or not. Premptive work like this with more injury prone and more senior members of the squad makes a lot of sense.

Yeah true

Especially in the Christmas / New Year period

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop