Fans Buyout Feasibility

Guest LondonOwl313

6 minutes ago, Ozymandias Owl said:

I wouldn't know where to start with either, but I would have thought a new club would have more chance of immediate and longterm success with the direction this debacle is heading. 

Either would require Leadership 

If you want success you need fans. I’d be surprised if you’d get enough people switching from SWFC to any new club if SWFC still existed. 
Either way you don’t need to be a genius to see success is a long way down either track 🙁

5 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

If you want success you need fans. I’d be surprised if you’d get enough people switching from SWFC to any new club if SWFC still existed. 
Either way you don’t need to be a genius to see success is a long way down either track 🙁

Its an absolute shambles. The only answers are the unthinkable 

Guest Grandad
17 minutes ago, Chansiri is king said:

fizz me our deluded fans running the club !!!

Perish the thought 😂

The irony of you suggesting fans are deluded

With that username 😂

2 hours ago, LondonOwl313 said:

After hearing Mr Chansiri say that the fans should buy him out if they're not happy with how he's running the club, I was trying to come up with some numbers to see whether this is even a possibility.

Firstly, we'd have to make him an offer for the club. Being realistic, its worth about what he paid for it (i.e. £35m). And we'd also need him to give us the stadium back included within that. Getting him to agree to selling for that and writing off his losses is probably the biggest sticking point in the whole plan.

But say if he did agree to that, how much more would we need. Obviously we'd need more than that because the club loses money so with no wealthy benefactor we'd need capital to absorb the losses. Unfortunately thats just the business model outside the premier league with the pot of gold on promotion the incentive for anyone to invest.

So lets assume that we'd need to fund the maximum allowable loss under FFP of £13m a season, and do this for 3 years to 1. give us the opportunity to build towards promotion and 2. because FFP is a rolling 3 year thing anyway.

So already we're talking a total of £35m + £13m x 3 = £74m to do this (lets call it £75m to make the maths easier).

The easiest way would be to divide that in to equal shares, but being realistic if you start asking most fans for £1,000 or even £500 they're probably going to say no because personal finances at the moment just dictate that its too much money. So lets say 1 share would be £250, which I think you could convince some casuals to part with as an investment.

So £75m divided by £250 is 300,000 shares. The plan would be that we either achieve promotion and sell the club for a profit in excess of the £75m at the end of the 3 years, money which would be returned to the investors... or we fail to go up and we sell the club on to someone else to have a go for £35m, and investors lose about half of their investment in the process (£125 loss). Either way, the long term strategy wouldn't be to be fan owned because the ongoing losses make it unfeasible.

Obviously the prospect of finding 300,000 individuals to do this is a non starter. But would it be possible to get 50,000 or even 100,000 individuals to do it, with wealthier fans buying more than one share to get us to the required 300,000. I think thats much more realistic. For a start I think most season ticket holders could be convinced... and then many more people would if theres a carrot available of a bigger pay off if promotion is achieved with their personal losses capped at £125.

I don't think this is as far fetched as you think, would just take some organising and probably some wealthy fans committing 5 and 6 figure sums to get the numbers up. Thoughts?

The UN are sending me half a billion apparently. Got the email today. That should be enough for a buy out.

5F898329-1491-4C51-884E-AEE6F2903061.png

• Haha 4

We are not worth one pound.

He could could up tomorrow at my house and offer SWFC for free and I'd turn him down.

Unless of course I paid myself a nice wage and just lumbered the club with debt, as with all the other running costs.

We are stuck with DC because I believe he thinks he will get his initial outlay back.

The only way he will get anywhere near that is if he sells us then charges rent and going by the ST/ Box strategy, we will not be able to afford it.

As someone who just missed out on the good times in the top flight and having to endure several torrid periods over the years (some really truly awful football - a 0-0 with Bradford springs to mind), I just want a club that's not continuously embroiled in drama. 

Personally, I'd love this scenario but then you would have to lower your expectations. We should generate enough gate revenue to build a decent squad but if that takes a few years in L1 focussing on a max wage/maintenance/other expenses that comprises of 75%. A good proportion of the remainder can be focussed on building up the foundations (lower leagues links, scouting, etc) to ensure we're moving forward on strong foundations. I'd like to see a president voted in by the fans every few years (votes based on a share basis).

OF course you'd have to find a way to generate the initial funds to takeover (whether its a number of smaller investors, etc).

38 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

I’ll be honest, I would take just feeling appreciated by the club at the moment. 

We are the fans (or supporters according to DC) yet I have never felt as disconnected with the club as I do now. 

Everything the owner has done to try and “cheat” his way to the PL and avoid FFP has ripped the heart out of our club. 

Things like manufacturing our own shirt then ripping the fans off, the terrible food on match days, the complete lack of sponsorship/executive boxes sales as DC has set the prices too high. 

The club should be plastered with local businesses and sponsors but the only companies in view are shadow companies run by DC. 

I would rather be in League 2, but feel a closeness and community surround the club that died long ago. 

The reason we are now acting like customers, is because we have been treated as them. 

I take my kids to the club shop and it’s rammed full of overpriced cr@p. There is nothing class or substantial that I would spend my money on. I mean who wants a chuffing garden gnome or a Elev8 tracksuit for £100? 

DC must be naffed off, because if i had blown £200m and ended up in this mess, I’d be less than happy. 
But the disappointing this is that he could have done SO MUCH with the money he has pumped in. 

Look at Leicester (I know they get PL money) but their owners have created something special at that club. 
The new training ground creates a legacy what people (fans, players, sponsors, managers etc) want to be part of. 

Id happily let the club have my £555 ST refund money if I felt part of something. However I feel part of absolutely nothing at Wednesday. 
Nothing special. Nothing worthwhile. 

I really hope that the new supporters club may make inroads to get the club back on track, however I cannot see it happening with DC at the helm. 

Unfortunately for us, it’s Wednesday Til I Die, so we will have to see what the future brings. 

Great summary of it all. I feel the same. 

• Like 4

Guest Grandad
25 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

On a related note are you going to change:

"The best poster on Owlstalk by far" - Tony Pulis

If so what to?

I'll wait to see if the new manager mentions me in his press conference  😂

Seeing as we've pretty much ironed out all the issues with buying the club and are progressing with plans to buy back the ground...

Who will we appoint as Chair or President? It could be a famous Owl, someone with real experience in football, or a local success story.

I'm torn between Neil and John McClure, but they could settle it with some naked mud wrestling and a bottle of Disaronno.